• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All
  • Cyndie
    Quilting Guru
    • May 2014

Bedroom closet for fabric stash...

For those of you that have converted a small bedroom into your sewing room, I'm curious if you left the clothes rod in the closet in place or removed it? Also, did you keep or remove the shelf above the clothes rod? (The closet, I'm referring to is long, narrow with sliding doors-house built in early 70's). I need some Pro/Con opinions from you creative quilting folks. Thanks, in advance!
    Every great human achievement is preceded by extended periods of dedicated, concentrated effort-Brian Tracy

Life is not a rehearsal!
  • Murphy224
    Applique Angel
    • Feb 2016

Re: Bedroom closet for fabric stash...

My spare/sewing room closet is a small walk in that had one shelf and pole for hanging clothes. I removed both and installed the Closet Maid system of rails, brackets, and shelves. The shelves start about 15" from the ceiling and go to about 2 feet from the floor. I got five shelves in the space and created lots more usable space. I put my fabric on comic book boards and stand them upright on the shelf. Much better system. Measure the depth of your closet with the doors closed and see if you can get shelves that will work. My shelves are 12" deep and I had them cut to fit the length space. Lowes and Home Depot used to carry this system.
    Good luck with your project. Shelves are the only way to go IMHO!

Comment

• Bernina2
      The Guild President
      • Oct 2014

I use my sons bedroom for my sewing room.
      I use the closet for my fabric. It's a small closet.
      My husband bought wire baskets from Lowes and
      installed them on the far corner so they are back in a corner.
      They are mounted on strips screwed into the walls.
      I kept the rod to hang finished quilts on until I get
      them to the LAQ. I kept the shelf as well.
      I keep my bags of batting, iron, misc. on it.
      I put a light with brackets also on the shelf so I
      have light when picking out fabrics.
      I only plug it in when I need it.

Comment

• tsladaritz
        Designer Diva
        • Mar 2016

Mine is still in progress. It is a mess. But what I did for now- I hung hangers and folded over yardage on hangers. Like you do pants. this takes up quite a bit of space so I bought 2 hanging sorters like you see for shoes/sweaters. I am thinking I may be able to get more yardage in those with less space. I left the shelves up because ours is built in wood- would be a pain to change. I put up labeled boxes with things like batting in them. I will eventually change that up some too. The lower rod has a laundry bag of yarn (I crochet also) some zippers, and other things. It has shelves on one side and those have some clear shoe box w lid holding ribbons, bias tape, patterns, etc. I really need to organize it. But I have not wanted to put the time in to do it. LOL

Comment

• quiltsRfun
          Missouri Star
          • Nov 2011

I like to hang my finished tops with the hangers you get when you buy pants. (The ones with clips.) A rod would be useful for me.

Comment

• Bubby
            Missouri Star
            • Jun 2011

I kept the rod and the shelf but I have a shelf in both ends of the closet and that helps a lot. I was able to fit a bookshelf in the front of the closet and have plastic drawer units on each side. It works, but it's not my only fabric area. I have a wall of cabinets for the bulk of my stash.
            sigpicwww.whisperofrose.blogspot.com

Scottie Mom Barb

Comment

• Patsquilting
              The Guild President
              • Dec 2014

I used a spare closet in the house I just moved from. I left the rod and the shelf. I bought 2 shelving units you would use for general purpose. There was room on either side - it would have been hard to get to the ends - to help with this shortage, I had a bunch of milk crates and stacked them on the sides - I think it was 5 on each. Used the existing top shelf for anything not material - batting, iron, etc.

Comment

• snippet
                Missouri Star
                • Oct 2012

Originally posted by quiltsRfun View Post
                I like to hang my finished tops with the hangers you get when you buy pants. (The ones with clips.) A rod would be useful for me.
                When I finish a top, I iron it well and hang it on a clothes hanger too. I buy the backing, iron it and hang it alongside it's top. And I make the binding, roll it onto an empty toilet paper roll and hang it onto on of the hangers with some ribbon or selvage. Then I have everything close by and ready for me to sandwich and quilt. Hanging keeps the wrinkles to a minimum for me.

Comment

• lots2do
                  Applique Angel
                  • Aug 2015

Snippet, that's a great tip!

Comment

• jjkaiser
                    Missouri Star
                    • Oct 2013

Imy sewing room used to be a bedroom. It has a double closet. We still use one half for personal files like bank record, boxes of receipts and copy paper, so that leaves me with half the closet for storing my sewing. I kept up the closet rod and shelf. I have four large storage cubes for 2 boxes of fabric and layer cakes and an over the rod shoe cubbie that store jelly rolls and charm packs in. On the shelf I keep stuff that doesn't get used very often, a plastic bin with extra scissors and rotary blades, a box of seasonal Xmas fabric, ribbons, trims, buttons, that sort of thing. It works fine for me probably only because I don't have a huge stash of fabric. Sometimes it seems like a lot to me but compared to what others say they have, it is nothing! The shoe cubbie really works great for my precuts though and holds lots of stuff
                    Jocelyn
                    South Milwaukee, Wisconsin

Comment

• quiltingaway
                      Missouri Star
                      • Sep 2014

When we built our house I knew which room was going to be my sewing room so I had the contractor do floor to ceiling shelves in the closet in that room. That has worked very well.
                      Annie
                      "The Mountains are calling and I must go" John Muir

Comment

• songbird857
                        Missouri Star
                        • Jan 2014

I am using a bedroom as well. I did keep the top shelf and the rod. On the top shelf, I put big, bulkier fabrics and quilt tops that are waiting to be finished, as well as a small basket of finished items ready for any craft sales. I hung closet organizers (the fabric kind) from the rod, and I store batting, garment fabric, stabilizers, miscellaneous fabric, etc. in there.
                        For my quilting fabric, I have opted to store that in view in the room (Ikea cubby with fabric baskets/boxes, and a corner shelf). It's easier to access, and easier to see what I have so that I'll actually use it!

Comment

• SherylM
                          9 Patch Princess
                          • Jul 2015

Originally posted by snippet View Post
                          When I finish a top, I iron it well and hang it on a clothes hanger too. I buy the backing, iron it and hang it alongside it's top. And I make the binding, roll it onto an empty toilet paper roll and hang it onto on of the hangers with some ribbon or selvage. Then I have everything close by and ready for me to sandwich and quilt. Hanging keeps the wrinkles to a minimum for me.
                          I do this too, except for the toilet paper roll thing. I like that idea and I'm going to borrow it!
                          Sheryl

Comment

• Pandabear
                            Missouri Star
                            • Jun 2013

I stack my fabric on the long metal shelf in my closet. The fabric is folded on comic book boards. For some reason this closet has shelf nearer the floor (for shoes maybe?) where I store plastic buckets with my scraps and my batting. Got some card making supplies on there too.

I asked my husband to install another metal shelf above the topmost one. I use space bags - cheap from Harbor freight - to store any fabric I know I won't be using right away. Mostly knits or flannel I found on sale and don't have a project for. I use smaller space bags to store batting pieces.

Since I have metal shelving I hang metal hanging baskets right underneath the shelf where my fabric sits. These store my precuts.

I'd take a picture but the closet is so messy right now I'd give everyone nightmares.

Comment

• tesspug
                              The Guild President
                              • Mar 2013

I have a friend in a rental so she can't change her closet. She bought those hanging sweater holders to store her fabric in. She got three in the closet.
                              Quilters never die, they just go batts.

Comment

Working...
                              X