Busy/fidget blanket

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Busy/fidget blanket

My mom has asked me to make a busy blanket for my grandmother who is starting to suffer from dementia. Has any one here ever made one? Any tips or suggestions? I have looked on Pinterest, but a lot of those look WAY too busy. My grandmother likes to pet stuffed animals and she is always pulling on rubber bands and twisting papers. So I was thinking something fuzzy to pet and maybe some colored elastic to pull. I am open to any help you can offer. Thank you!
    Melissa

I really hate it when the voices in my head argue among themselves as though I wasn't even in the room.

I tried to be normal once......worst two minutes of my life.

Re: Busy/fidget blanket

A pocket with a big button and button hole, a zipper, silky or satiny fabric, a key chain with keys attached, maybe different kinds of fabric like wide wale corduroy, minky, chenille.

Comment

Don't forget large buttons and steps of lace.
      In the hospital where I work we have twiddle muffs, basically it's a knitted hand muff made with different thicknesses of yarn with zips, lace, buttons particularly unusual buttons. They are great especially for calming someone who is agitated!! Hope your quilt does the trick!!

Comment

I love that you can make these exactly for the recipient. If she likes to pet animals, include appliqués of dogs, or cats, or bunnies made of soft fur or minkee. Or even large squares of those soft fabrics. If she loves to stretch rubber bands, get those hair bands without metal on them and sew loops on firmly that she can stretch and pull. If you want you could include some large buttons that she could pull the elastic bands over and pull off. I would make it a large placemat size or slightly bigger then she could easily keep it on her lap, even if she were to eventually need a wheel chair. Make sure everything is securely sewn and check it often. The items receive a lot of touching, pulling, and tugging so plan accordingly. Make sure everything is washable and dryable. For the paper twisting, the only thing I could think of was that art twisty paper or candy wrappers, but not sure they would survive the wash and dry or abuse of use. These can be simple or complex, but generally dementia patients have one or just a few things they like to fidget with and will avoid the rest. I would concentrate on what you know she likes. If she still has her vision, use bright colors or her favorite ones. If you don't have scraps of fur, visit Goodwill or some place like that and buy old stuffed toys and WASH them before you cut them into scraps. Have fun and although she might pick a favorite, you might make more than one for variety or when one needs to be laundered.

Comment

Look up Fidget Quilts on Facebook. There are several photos of fidget quilts this lady makes for Alzheimer patients. I think there are some great, easy ideas there. Scroll down and you will see a furry dog she appliqued to one quilt along with the other fidget items. Hope its helpful!

Comment

This is really cool! It looks easy to make. Use some more cuddly fabrics.

http://www.ssww.com/item/twiddle-cat-16746/

This is cool too

https://www.poole.nhs.uk/about-us/la...-patients.aspx
            Last edited by Hulamoon; September 8, 2016, 05:22 PM.
            🌺 Lorie

Comment

Melissa, here's a good article on fidget quilts. Our modern guild made some awhile back. One thing that we added to some of them was tulle. We used colored tulle that comes on a roll about 5 inches wide. Cut a long length of it, fold it back and forth like a fan and then stitch through the center. When you let it go the edges will spring up. Another idea...what about a small stuffed animal like a beanie baby. They are soft and floppy and fun to hold. It could be attached to the quilt with ribbon or fabric strip.

We also attached buttons hanging on ribbons, zippers and pretty ribbons.

http://www.yumasun.com/features/fidg...72ab9c95b.html
              "I'm putting together a list of 100 reasons why I am NOT relentless!" - Sue Heck, The Middle

Leonard: For God's sake, Sheldon, do I have to hold up a sarcasm sign every time I open my mouth?
              Sheldon (intrigued): You have a sarcasm sign?

Comment

I have never made one but that is a great idea! I do not think I would add any keys though, she might scratch herself or poke herself in the eye or something. But maybe you could look in the baby department for some plastic keys like they have for baby toys, and maybe something else there will give you some other ideas.

Comment

I have a piece of fake fur scrap I can send you if you need it. PM me if you want it, cream color. She might like petting that.

Comment

I hope this link works: https://www.pinterest.com/pin/82542605640030906/

This would be one way to attach things and they should be fairly secure
                    Debbie

Comment

Thank you for all your suggestions! I am going to try and find time to make it this weekend. I will post pics when I'm finished.
                      Melissa

I really hate it when the voices in my head argue among themselves as though I wasn't even in the room.

I tried to be normal once......worst two minutes of my life.

Comment

I made a couple of them for my aunt and the others in her home. They really liked them and every time I came by someone had one on their lap working away on it.

I made mine with 5" squares of various colors and textures. I first drew it out - a zipper here, lace there, a string with buttons, some corduroy, a chunky denim seam, a pocket at the bottom, etc. Stitched up, sandwiched, and quilted it.

Just make sure nothing can come off, it can all be washed, and they can't get their hands caught in it either.

I also made marble mazes too. One lady really liked that. I have been thinking about making more of them for kids to fidget with during church. We have wiggler packs that it can be put in.
                        Last edited by snippet; September 10, 2016, 06:20 PM.

Comment

I agree some look too busy. I asked a therapists which she liked for patients and she said definetly some that have an activity beyond the soft fabric but that was all she said.

I plan to make a couple and I was thinking I would do the pocket, a couple of ribbons off each side (some like to play with the satin and textured ribbons), and maybe a zipper. Things like buttons and zips help their fine motor skills and problem solving. I am a former preschool teacher so I think of what my kids would have liked. Dementia patients are often like a confused 2 year old.

My mother had dementia that slowly worsened over 11 years. I was her primary helper. I wish I had heard of fidget blankets when she started down that road.

Good luck with yours!

Comment

Originally posted by meliswan View Post
                            Thank you for all your suggestions! I am going to try and find time to make it this weekend. I will post pics when I'm finished.
                            I can't wait to see your pictures!

Comment

Working...
                            X