Fons and Porter Pressing Mat

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Fons and Porter Pressing Mat

I recently purchased a Fons and Porter pressing mat to take to classes and also to use beside my sewing machine for pressing blocks. It has the gray pressing side and a canvas cover on the back. I soon discovered that there was very little protection for my sewing machine cabinet as even pressing a block gets the wood on my cabinet very hot. So, I decided to sew some batting on the back. I started with one layer of batting and will add another layer this afternoon.
    I wish I had some of that "stuff" that is used to put in hot pads. Does anyone know the name of it? One way or the other I am going to get this pad where it is usable.

Re: Fons and Porter Pressing Mat

that stuff is Insul-brite. Batting with foil like center to reflect the heat. I just made a iron caddy that turns into a ironing mat.

Comment

Re: Fons and Porter Pressing Mat

Truth be told, the F&P pressing mat is InsulBrite sandwiched between a layer of plain canvas and a layer of that silver coated reflective fabric. Cheaper to make yourself, unless like I did you find it on amazon for under $10. I do really like it, though a hot steamy iron has shrunk the canvas side and often fuses the InsulBrite to the inside, making a hot wrinkly mess. It'd be nice if they preshrunk the canvas (I'll do that when I make a replacement for mine). I love the soft storage case it came in!

If you've got a nice surface, by all means protect it. I'm not sure what would be best. My surface does get hot under the pad, but I use it as I think it was intended — for a quick seam or block press. But my desk is a cheap temporary desk that cost $80 so I don't worry much for now. So far, the level of heat has not affected the laminate surface at all. On my old sewing table, and sometimes now, I've used it on top of a clear thick vinyl desktop protector with no problem other than a little condensation (that on my old sewing table I'd just wipe off to avoid any possible water damage). Sometimes I just fold my pad in half if I know I have a bit more pressing to do.

Comment

Working...
      X