X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Granny Judy
    replied
    Re: sit down quilting machines

I will have to try the long arm orientation... It does seem easier/simpler now that I visualized it. Thanks for the question..

Leave a comment:

• bakermom
    replied

I tried the long-arm orientation on the last big quilt I did. It seemed to be easier to maneuver the quilt side to side like Judy said. It was a bit different because I usually start in the middle and work in sections but once I got started I liked it.

Leave a comment:

• Judy, USMC
    replied

Originally posted by icthus View Post
    Either the mid-arm machine orientation presents like a domestic machine with the harp going side to side or it presents like a long arm machine with the harp going front to back. When quilting a twin bed top, which orientation requires less arm strength?
    For a twin either one would do. My preference is the long-arm orientation (harp front to back.) I like quilting from one side to the other - much like a long arm. The part that's already been quilted would then be rolled under the harp.

If I wanted to quilt side to side with the harp set like a standard domestic machine I would be constantly rolling and unrolling the portion under the harp. (If someone knows of a different way please let me know! )

Leave a comment:

• KarenC
    replied

I tried the drafting chair with the long arm while at a retreat last year. It was great. So much better on the back after long periods.

Leave a comment:

• bubba
    replied

Martelli makes a longarm that you can use standing or sitting. It is the machine of my dreams, and it will stay that way because it is more than I can afford at present time.

Leave a comment:

• dizzyLiz
    replied

I cannot get down on the floor to make my "quilt" sandwiches so this is how I do it. I have the craft/cutting table from Hancocks. The height is perfect and it has 2 leaves, which can be opened if needed for a bigger quilt. I lay the backing on table wrong side up with center back lined up with a penny I've taped to the table. I smooth out the back and start on one side pulling slightly taught. I then attach tablecloth clips like you would use when camping. They work perfect and hold the fabric in place. I then do the other side, top, and then bottom. This keeps my quilt completely smooth and then I pin baste. I then add the batting, removing the clips and then replacing over the 2 layers all the way around. Lastly I put the quilt top wrong side down and repeat. This will do the majority of the quilt and since I'm working out from the center I get a smooth non wonky sandwich. If my quilt is larger then the table, I simply remove all the clips and move the quilt and do each side. It actually goes fast and I never get ripples in my quilts. I have used spray basting and pins on really large quilts, but honestly I prefer to just pin. It works great and my knees are grateful.

Leave a comment:

• Vonnie
    replied

Have you thought about a long arm and frame and sitting on a bar stool that has wheels on it? Or some type of high chair.

I joined QNNTV a while back so I could watch Quilt It, the Longarm Quilting Show. One of the guests on there said she sits down to quilt on her longarm and frame.

I know it's a whole lot easier to load a large quilt on a frame than it is to try to make a quilt sandwich on the floor. I have high blood pressure and bad knees so it really is painful to do it that way.

Leave a comment:

• icthus
    started a topic sit down quilting machines

sit down quilting machines

Sit down quilting machines have two orientations. Either the mid-arm machine orientation presents like a domestic machine with the harp going side to side or it presents like a long arm machine with the harp going front to back. When quilting a twin bed top, which orientation requires less arm strength? Which one is more natural for sit-down quilting? Any thoughts about your experience would be greatly appreciated. Thanks.
Working...
X