Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

Empty shopping bag.....need to win the lotto!

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Empty shopping bag.....need to win the lotto!

I went to a quilt show today and was startled at how expensive all the stuff was, and how many people were still buying heaps. Similarly, the LQS had a sale on last week and whilst previous sales always had some lovely bargains particularly in pre cuts to snap up, this time there was very little and I came home quite dejected. I must be the only poor doormouse in my neck of the woods. I sometimes feel as if this craft is "morphing" into an expensive juggernaut that leaves the likes of me drifting in its' wake!

Re: Empty shopping bag.....need to win the lotto!

I've always been astonished at the price difference between Australia and overseas. Even when the dollar was at parity, fabric at my local quilting shops cost more that twice as much as MSQ what was selling at.

Ditto for books

Comment

Even if our prices here in the states are cheaper, I'm always amazed at how much people buy at quilt shows. I worked for a vendor last year, and there was one customer who came to our booth 3 days in a row, and dropped at least $300-$500 each time. I'm currently working on using some stash.

Comment

I feel your pain. Here in the UK things are so expensive too. On average 12GBP for a yard of fabric in a quilt shop that are few and far between here. That's about $16 US dollars a yard. The last jelly roll bought was 34GBP (about $45 US dollars). I have taken the plunge an bought fabric from M* as it's so much cheaper, but sometimes you just want to feel /touch it before you buy. Also, I have to make sure I place an order large enough to cover the international postal costs and also import tax etc. I may just buy that extra lottery ticket this weekend.

Comment

Oh Mary, I come from Melbourne too....maybe we visit the same expensive LQS's!

Comment

You are right about the prices, and it isn't nice.

However, buying at quilt shows is not always because of price. Sometimes it's a good demo of a technique or pattern that none of your local LQS has. Sometimes it's fabrics. Fabric from Texas vendors seems to be a tad different than here. So do some of their local quilting designs.

Another reason - the patterns and accessories that may not be available in the local LQS are for sale and it's one-stop shopping. You can walk from store to store instead of hassling traffic and parking. (Except Expo parking) The demos can be seen better at a show.

I've seen some local LQS run a demo as an all-day affair with treats for those who attend. All of the regulars get there and don't leave, so a newcomer has no real chance until late in the day when everyone is tired. Shows are geared for doing demos all day to all and sundry and are usually ignored by the local crowd wanting to socialize. I prefer a show for demos. You get an answer!

Comment

Originally posted by just4me View Post
              Oh Mary, I come from Melbourne too....maybe we visit the same expensive LQS's!
              Mine is near Box Hill - where there was a quilt show this past weekend.

Comment

Haha...Mary I'm at Lilydale so we are in the same neck of the woods! I like the quilt shop on Whitehorse Road in Blackburn...driven down that highway a gazillion times and never realised it was there until recently! Bit slow...derrrrr! What did you think of the BoxHill show?

Comment

I didn't go to the Box Hill quilt show this year. I'm veering into weird quilting areas at the moment.

That Blackburn LQS (Sewn and Quilted) is where I get my quilts quilted - my effort to support the local business. I couldn't afford to support them with fabric purchases, so quilting is it. They are always extremely helpful and welcoming.

Comment

It is the same here in Germany, you are paying 18-20€ per meter for high quality quilting cotton and there is only one real quilt shop in my town. And a lot of fancy items you can't buy here at all.I am purchasing fabric at MSQC from time to time, but with shipping and taxes it isn't really more affordable than buying fabric here. But they have such a big variety....I was looking for flannels for backings of two quilts and couldn't find anything at home...so I am waiting for my next MSQC parcel �� which hasn't been shipped until today....I hope it will be here in time, I have to finish both quilts for Christmas ��
                    Find me on Instagram @auntie_uli

Comment

Working...
                    X