Too much leftover fabrics

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Too much leftover fabrics

I can't figure this out. Is it me or my LQS? Before I leave the house to get fabric for my backing and binding, I already know how much fabric to buy BUT after finishing my quilt I wind up having so much leftover fabric. I use the Robert Kaufman fabric calculator and ask for only that amount. Is it me or am I getting more than I ask for?
    Does this happen to anyone else? I'm talking about maybe half yard leftover. My stash is increasing! Help!
    sigpicLinda :icon_wave:

Re: Too much leftover fabrics

Can't answer you about the amount of fabric, but increasing your stash.....Is that a bad thing??

Comment

Half a yard seems pretty good to me. Never know when you will mess up a block or make a wrong cut.

Comment

Much better than not having enough!
        Lori

http://sewtimeforme.blogspot.com/

Comment

I think some of those calculators allow and extra 10 % for miscuts or pattern matching. Also the way people cut using their mat or using the ruler effects how accurate they cut so I think those allow for that as well. But patterns also allow a little wiggle room so if your calculator also has a buffer then your gonna have left overs. But trust me better some extra then being short and then not being able to find more fabric.
          Use it up, wear it out, make it do or do without.

Comment

Originally posted by alliek View Post
            Can't answer you about the amount of fabric, but increasing your stash.....Is that a bad thing??
            Exactly. Is this a problem?? Actually I would rather have 1/2 yard leftover than be short.

Comment

Okay, I'll stop complaining. That's true, better more than less.

Comment

LOL.... Too. Much. Leftover. Fabric. Uhm... nope, never.

Comment

Is there such a thing as too much fabric, leftover or otherwise??? Maybe more experienced quilters than me can answer that one hehehe

Comment

I think my leftover fabric multiples in the storage bins at night, along with the leftovers in the refrigerator!
                    Carrie

I cut it twice and it was still too short!

Comment

Originally posted by songbird857 View Post
                      LOL.... Too. Much. Leftover. Fabric. Uhm... nope, never.
                      All you fabricholics are so funny, you make my day(s). Love you all.

Comment

Originally posted by ucarrieme View Post
                        I think my leftover fabric multiples in the storage bins at night, along with the leftovers in the refrigerator!
                        Batting Beauty, you are a beauty and so funny. Thank you.

Comment

Originally posted by alliek View Post
                          You all have made me think twice now about too much fabric, ha. I'll just build another room on.

Comment

[QUOTE=ucarrieme;904304]I think my leftover fabric multiples in the storage bins at night, along with the leftovers in the refrigerator![
                            You are oh so right. the more I use, the more I have,and I haven"t bought any. Your post is the only plausible answer. Kathy
                            All quilts cat tested and approved.
                            sigpic

Comment

I'm not sure we can ever have too much fabric! I usually buy extra just to make sure there is room for error or because I like the fabric & may want to make another project from it. I frequently buy fabric for which I have no pattern in mind, so I have no idea how much I might need. Better to have too much than not enough. It always can be used in some way. If you don't like your leftovers, consider a swap.

Comment

Working...
                              X