I'm SO disgusted with myself

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

I'm SO disgusted with myself

This is the first time I've TOTALLY botched something and it's an expensive mistake

I'd been waiting to get the Stonehenge Jasper jelly roll on sale. It finally happened and I was so thrilled. Still expensive, yes, but I really really wanted it. I also found the "perfect" sunflower fabric for a border. To me it was perfection personified!! (fortunately I haven't purchased the sunflower fabric yet). I was SO thrilled. I was going to do a Summer in the Park quilt.

I started. I did about a half of the blocks. I then decided to start to put some of the blocks together. Then I decided to put a few rows together. I discovered that one of the days I did a 5/8" seam allowance (I had been sewing a few knit tops and went mindless and continued using that seam allowance). OH NO. So then I thought well ok I'll go back and and make them all with the 5/8" seam allowance. I started working on that only to discover that I had also sewn some of the jelly roll strip with 1/4 inch seam allowance and others with 5/8" seam allowances. They can't be cut down so they will all match up.

It's a mess, a total, total mess and I HATE myself. Maybe I can make placemats or something with some of them and hope I can get a service for 4 out of it. Or a few table runners. Or maybe I'll just cut it into narrow strips and make a noose and hang myself with it.

I think it's time to put it away...out of sight for a few days.
    https://forum.missouriquiltco.com/co.../icon_wave.gif
    Women are Angels. When someone break's our wings we will continue to fly-usually on a broomstick.We're flexible like that.

Re: I'm SO disgusted with myself

Originally posted by Carlie Wolf View Post
    Or maybe I'll just cut it into narrow strips and make a noose and hang myself with it.
    LMAO! I'm sorry!

Would it be possible to unpick the blocks put together with a 5/8 seam? It'd be tedious, but with a good TV show or podcast in the background, it might be doable.

Comment

Well that really sucks I would probably unpick everything - catch up on lots of TV/Movies that I have not made time for. Keep to your original plan - unpick....... Wish I was there to help.
      Karen
      Life is short - Live everyday to the fullest

Comment

Yes I occasionally get a little overly dramatic Unicorn and Karen :-)

Once I settle down I'll probably decide to just undo the whole thing and start over. With all the cutting I already did and my attempts at resizing the blocks I'll most likely have to use another pattern to do it in. (Or maybe it's just that I never want to look at another Summer in the Park again - too traumatic LOL). Also I do have the over half of the jelly roll intact.

Probably today would be a good day to start ripping since it's a
        brainless activity and my mind is mush.
        Women are Angels. When someone break's our wings we will continue to fly-usually on a broomstick.We're flexible like that.

Comment

So sorry...sending hugs!!!!
          Preeti
          http://sewpreetiquilts.blogspot.com/

Comment

I feel bad for you! Perhaps from now on, have a sticky note on your machine reminding you of 1/4" or 5/8" seam allowance.
            I am Sew Blessed!
            Alina

Comment

We all make brainless messes at one time or another. The deal is some of us just don't admit it. I have been sewing for 155 years give or take a few years and I have made my share of messes. This is an opportunity to be creative. Remember in some of Jenny's tutorials some of her best ideas have come from piecing something wrong. This is just a bump in the road. You didn't cut yourself with the rotary cutter, your machine isn't broken, and you have a chance to pick the blocks apart.

Comment

Oh no! If you decide to pick it out I keep hearing about this wonderful show on Netflix called Stranger Things. I want to do a Summer in the Park, but can't decide on a jelly roll.
                🌺 Lorie

Comment

I decided I am going to pick it all out. I've decided to do an Irish Chain with it instead of trying to salvage it into another Summer in the Park. That way I can cut it into 2 1/2 squares and use the 9 patch method. I think I'll have a lot less waste on the Stonehenge that way. I'm going to use the white background like I was before. Plus I find doing irish chains relaxing.

LOL I already watched all of Stranger Things. I liked it. I think I did three or four episodes a night. I watch a lot of the Netflix things because there isn't much on the tv otherwise. I got rid of the extra programs on my DISH subscription. It was just costing too much and they play the same things over and over again. So, you bet, I'll be watching Netflix for the next several nights and ripping out Summer in the Park. I had started working on a red and white quilt a while ago so I took that out again to do more of the piecing of that for during the day. I forgot I had it. That's squares with the snowballed edges. My bucket list for this year had "do a red and white quite". :-)

Comment

Now you know if you do the narrow strips for the h a n g i n g party with the way your luck is running the stitches will come apart, you'll fall down & hit your head, get a concussion & get amnesia & won't remember why the pieces are all over the floor.

Just sayin'.

Okay , don't to any of the above. Just throw all of it in a bag, shove it in a closet & bring it out at a much later day.

Just sayin'.

Anyway, I'M ROFLMBBO!!!

Gina

Comment

LOL, so true Gina, so true!

Comment

Very sorry for your trouble...(((HUGS)))
                        sigpicwww.whisperofrose.blogspot.com

Scottie Mom Barb

Comment

Don't be so hard on yourself. Mistakes happen, machines screw up, rotary cutters cut go the wrong way. My husband always says the only way to not have something go wrong is to never do anything.

We've been having electricity brown-outs here lately. I had my longarm happily stitching away a couple weeks ago, had a brown-out, the needle stayed down but the machine kept moving. Before I could get to the emergency stop - it ripped the quilt top, batting and backing about two inches in two directions. Thankfully ?!? it was confined to a solid block. I removed the quilt from the frame, replaced the block on the quilt top, fused the batting and patched the backing. Re-loaded the quilt and finished my last two rows of quilting. Six, yes six hours. Aargh!

Things happen.

Comment

Chey Mom have you gotten a UPS thing to plug your long arm into? Years ago I had brown outs at my place in Vermont and it fried 3 of my computer motherboards. I didn't even realize I was having brown out, they were so mild. I kept having to replace motherboards which became very pricey. (I evently learned how to build my own computer it was happening so often) I've since been buying the UPS's so my electronics don't fry. Pricey but worth the price. I got an extra one when I got my long arm. The $100 was forth it to protect my $4000 machine!

Comment

Originally posted by Carlie Wolf View Post
                              Chey Mom have you gotten a UPS thing to plug your long arm into? Years ago I had brown outs at my place in Vermont and it fried 3 of my computer motherboards. I didn't even realize I was having brown out, they were so mild. I kept having to replace motherboards which became very pricey. (I evently learned how to build my own computer it was happening so often) I've since been buying the UPS's so my electronics don't fry. Pricey but worth the price. I got an extra one when I got my long arm. The $100 was forth it to protect my $4000 machine!
                              Will definitely be shopping for one after this ordeal!

Comment

Working...
                              X