This Surprised Me

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

This Surprised Me

I have been doing wayyyy more piecing than FMQ lately. So, I took a Craftsy class taught by Christina Carmelli. Wow, she is awesome. I also like Leah Day and Angela Walters but Christina does her quilting on a domestic machine which is what I use. So, I make some practice sandwiches, print out the materials, set my laptop up beside my machine and start quilting. What in the cat hair happened? I am so out of practice it is pitiful. I did not expect this. My swoops and swirls are more like jagged lines. So, I plan to spend an hour a day trying to get my groove back. No way am I going to torture a quilt top with my current level of FMQ. Has this happened to any of you? I have 5 big quilt tops to quilt so I guess I better get practiced up!!

Re: This Surprised Me

First I love Christina Camelli! This has happened to me before if I've been away from FMQ for awhile. I have a stack of squares in my sewing room and always warm up before starting on my quilt.

Comment

Happened to me to!

I had to rip out 2/3 of a quilted top because of severe eyelashes!!

I had not done any fmq for quit a while and thought that I still got it. Ha!

Now I am planning on setting up an fmq practice routine.
      sigpic

God, Grant me the serenity to accept the things I cannot change,
      The stash to make a quilt to help me cope,
      A quilt to give to comfort those I love in times of hurt, fear and uncertainty.
      And the courage to keep on sewing when life itself seems held together by a single thread of hope.

Comment

I love the look of most FMQ's, but lately I haven't been doing any of it. Definitely would need to practice---A LOT..
        Judy

Click HERE to find me and My imagination
        :icon_wave:

Comment

Seems like FMQ is a groove you get into as you sew. I have two tops sandwiched and ready and just haven't decided what pattern to quilt or what color thread, so I'm making zippered bags for xmas gifts
          Walk in peace with the Lord by your side.
          Terry

Comment

I usually try to do a practice sandwich before the quilt if I haven't done any FMQing in awhile.
            Cindy

Comment

I love Christina Camelli too. She is a wonderful teacher. The one time my FMQ was really terrible was because I had forgotten to put my Sew Slip teflon surface on the machine (the equivalent of a Supreme Slider.) Also FMQ uses a completely different set of muscles. You wouldn't run a marathon without training and building up to it. FMQ is the same way.
              Stash Treasure Acquisitions Beyond Life Expectancy. My stash keeps me STABLE, oh yeah.... and dark chocolate.

Comment

I too love her classes especially the wild quilting class. Practicing is the key to get good results in FMQ, I have always practice sandwiches and I need some time to get the hang of it...I learned that the hard way, ripping out FMQ stitches is a nightmare!
                Find me on Instagram @auntie_uli

Comment

Oh yeah, i can see a difference just in the beginning and the end of a quilt I am FMQ. I've found I need to do a "reminder" piece before I start on the real thing. I'm OK If I have been working on something pretty regular but if I take a break I can see the difference. I bought a large dry erase board to practice on to remind my brain what to do
                  “What we do for ourselves dies with us. What we do for others and the world, is and remains immortal.”

― Albert Pine

Comment

I like your determination, yes i try to practice on samples every week. Even if not perfect or close,I'm trying and that is what counts.
                    Gary,

"No regrets, only learning opportunities."

Comment

Working...
                    X