Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Layer Cake squares are not square

Hi folks.

I love precuts, and am currently preparing to make a quilt of my own design with a lovely print. Now for my problem...when set a grid on the 10x10 squares, some of them are not square at all. Is this a common occurrence? I may need to go through and square them all to 9 1/2" to get them to a usable point. Thoughts?

Re: Layer Cake squares are not square

It's a common problem with all pre-cuts.

Comment

I haven't had an issue. I've been buying on a weekly basis almost since 2011 and ever only had one wonky charm pack. No issue with any Layer Cake... I currently have a shelf full of them. They seem fine.

If it's seriously off, like the whole layer cake, return it... Call them and tell them and see what they will do.

My guess is that with as many precuts there are being sold these days, it happens. The manufacturers make mistakes. But, M* makes it right with their customers.

Comment

Originally posted by JCY View Post
        It's a common problem with all pre-cuts.
        I disagree... when you factor in the amount of Pre-cuts that are made and sold... the sheer volume, with happy buyers, I would not call it a "Common" problem.

We see it from time to time here... but we are by no means the complete scope of all who buy precuts.

Comment

I just had the same thing with 2 packs of layer cakes. Both were RJR brand, so I am not very happy with them right now!

Comment

I had a batik jellyroll that was way off. I was already into piecing
            before I found out. Also I purchased it a year before. My advice is to do a
            quick check when you get it.

Comment

I love pre-cuts for the ease of putting together a quick quilt as well as the variety of fabrics. Most pre-cuts are great, but unfortunately, there are some pretty wonky ones out there and it's more common than we would like. Normally, I can work around the wonkyness but one time I got such a terrible jelly roll I am still shocked that it got past quality control. But, things like this happen in every industry. I now do a quick check when I receive a new layer cake. I should check my jelly rolls, but I don't want to open them.

One of the biggest advantages to buying from M*QC is their customer service. Before you trim down your squares, call the company. They stand behind their products and work hard to please their customers.

If you decide to keep the layer cake, I would trim the squares down so all are the same size.

Comment

Originally posted by kensington View Post
                I haven't had an issue. I've been buying on a weekly basis almost since 2011 and ever only had one wonky charm pack. No issue with any Layer Cake... I currently have a shelf full of them. They seem fine.

If it's seriously off, like the whole layer cake, return it... Call them and tell them and see what they will do.

My guess is that with as many precuts there are being sold these days, it happens. The manufacturers make mistakes. But, M* makes it right with their customers.
                You have been a super lucky quilter.

I have numerous precuts, layer cakes, charms, and jellyrolls that have been off cut or too small, cut crooked, etc. i just pretty much work with them how they are. As I am sure it is of many others we dont have the time to deal with returns and phone calls and such. This is by no means a MSQC issue. I personally have not felt the need the bother them.

I think if every person who received a bad precut package contact d The place they purchased it from, customer service would be bogged down with this issue. We quilters want to sew and find our way around the issue.

Might have you do my buying for me since your luck seems much better than many of us. Lol.
                Karen
                Life is short - Live everyday to the fullest

Comment

I know... I check everything when it comes in the mail too or before I leave M* with it. One lonely charm pack was wonky and they replaced it for me. I got it in the mail and took it back on my next trip up... they traded it out.

I love precuts... don't no one jinx me!

I do remember Jenny saying a few times in tutorials, that if you get one that is smaller... when you line them up.. pick one edge and stick with it... use that as your guide.

Like if you put a white square with a 10" colored, and one is smaller... follow the edge on one or the other.

Comment

Working...
                  X