Ran into a long arm expert....

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Ran into a long arm expert....

I am currently making two small quilts, a baby quilt and the small Fancy Forest quilt. I found a somewhat local HandiQuilter dealer who rents time on her machines. Since I am seriously considering buying a HandiQuilter Simply Sixteen, I figure this is a great way to finish these quilts and figure out if I really want to buy one or not.

So, off I go to a quilt store on Saturday to buy the backing fabrics and batting. This is a store I have never been to before. On Sunday, it dawned on me that although I asked for an extra 5"-6" of fabric (since this is what I was asked to provide on my quilts for the quilting), that she didn't do this. I first looked at the twin sized batting and realized I couldn't get the sizes out of it. Then I called the quilt store and spoke to the lady who had cut my fabric. She stated that NO she did not add the extra inches to my fabric before she cut "because I didn't need it and it would just end up in my stash!" This lady has a HandiQuilter Avante and is clearly the expert.

I dropped an email to the dealer I am doing this at, but haven't heard back yet. I hope I don't have to buy another backing because I already need to buy another batting! Really frustrated.

Re: Ran into a long arm expert....

I'd be really ticked that the lady who cut the fabric I requested made an "executive" decision not to include the extra 5" - 6" I requested. I'd take it back and tell her to recut the order and include the dimensions I wanted.
    https://forum.missouriquiltco.com/co.../icon_wave.gif
    Women are Angels. When someone break's our wings we will continue to fly-usually on a broomstick.We're flexible like that.

Comment

Did you pay for the extra?

Good luck on the long arm. I wish there was someplace close to me that I could rent time.
      Blessed are the children of the piecemakers for they shall inherit the quilts!

Comment

I only have to provide a couple inches extra for Reggie. She knows her machine and her methods so well that it isn't necessary to provide much extra only to be cut off.
        sigpicwww.whisperofrose.blogspot.com

Scottie Mom Barb

Comment

I agree with Barb. For quilts that small, you can probably get by with a little extra, but you do need some to be able to put the clamps on. I was recently practicing on some scraps and didn't have any extra. I was able to do what I needed, but it was more difficult. Is it possible that maybe your backing fabric is not directional and by changing the backing to have the selvage at top and bottom gives you the extra that you need. Even an inch on each side will make is doable.

Most LAs I have seen request 4 inches on each side.

Comment

She should have asked first. Maybe you wanted to add that extra fabric to your stash. I agree with Carlie Wolf. Take it back and have her recut.

Comment

I would really be annoyed. It's my money, my decision. I would definitely have a talk with the owner/manager. Making a suggestion is one thing, but this is over the top.
              Suppose you went to the butcher and asked for a 3# roast and he gave you a 2# because he didn't think you needed leftovers. Would you be mad? Speak up!
              “What we do for ourselves dies with us. What we do for others and the world, is and remains immortal.”

― Albert Pine

Comment

Maybe she is a LA expert, but certainly not a customer service expert.
                Pieced By Me! :icon_wave:

Pre-cut Yardage Chart

Comment

Most do ask for 4 inches on all sides. Now about her deciding for you what she would cut, that is another story.

I'd be livid that she made that decision for me. Whoa... talk about rude. I'm the customer and IF I order too much it's on me... my money... my decision.

Comment

Originally posted by Monique View Post
                    Did you pay for the extra?

Good luck on the long arm. I wish there was someplace close to me that I could rent time.
                    Monique you can rent time at Fun with Stitches in Belleville. If you are down in Trenton you could look into it.
                    Grandma Nan

sigpic

Nancy

"Some of the best memories are created in flip flops"

Comment

Originally posted by Grandma Nan View Post
                      Monique you can rent time at Fun with Stitches in Belleville. If you are down in Trenton you could look into it.
                      Thank you. I may have to go spend a week or so in Trenton then. LOL!!
                      Blessed are the children of the piecemakers for they shall inherit the quilts!

Comment

Ladies, thank you so much for your comments. First, I'm not going back there ever! It's more than an hour away by car. She simply made an executive decision because I didn't need the extra inches and no, she didn't tell me. I assumed, and we all know what happens when you assume something.

I contacted the long arm store and she wants the extra inches, and I totally understand. This is the Simply Sixteen by Handi Quilter with the Little Foot frame which is smaller dimension and has clamps to hold on the quilt.

So, I guess I'm going to another store to buy another backing. I THINK I'm gonna be ok on the Fancy Forest quilt, but I definitely don't have enough for the larger quilt. Thank you for listening to me. Yesterday was a bad day.

Comment

I understand why you don't want to travel that distance for an exchange. (Of course, we can always use 'extra' fabric, right?) But I encourage you to call that store, talk to the owner, and explain why you won't do business with them again. Some one needs to know why they are losing customers.
                          If you are not willing to learn, no one can help you. If you are determined to learn, no one can stop you.- Zig Ziglar

Comment

Originally posted by Sylvia H View Post
                            I understand why you don't want to travel that distance for an exchange. (Of course, we can always use 'extra' fabric, right?) But I encourage you to call that store, talk to the owner, and explain why you won't do business with them again. Some one needs to know why they are losing customers.
                            Sylvia, I'm going to do that. Thank you for suggesting it. I just need to wait until I'm not as upset, or it will turn into a full rant, I'm sure.

Comment

Working...
                            X