Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Weird problem after using thread cutter on new Janome

Hi all
    Today I took the big leap and bought the super new Janome Horizon Memory Craft 9400 QCP (that's a mouthful! )

It took me about an hour to set up and figure out what the different feet were. Then I wound the bobbin and threaded according to the instructions in the manual. So far so good.

I used some new 50wt Aurifil cotton thread I bought recently in both top and bobbin and a new 80/14 topstitch needle. I noticed that even with the presser foot up there's quite a bit of tension in the thread.
    It sewed pretty well but when i used the thread cutter the thread tail would pull up and almost out of the needle. Then when I try to sew the next line the thread actually pulls out of the needle in the first few stitches as the tail was not long enough.

I tried rethreading several times, changed tension settings, and changed the spool cap. Same thing happens.

I reset all settings and changed to a 50wt Gutermann cotton thread on the top (same bobbin) and everything works fine.

What's going on here??

Re: Weird problem after using thread cutter on new Janome

My Brother 1500 has a thread cutter that does the same thind. I avoid using it!
    "Never stop believing that fighting for what is right is worth it"
    Hillary Clinton

Comment

My machine does the same thing - Husqvarna! Go figure. I have a small pair of scissors!!
      Sometimes, when there's a raging fire,
      it's best not to try to put it out with gasoline.

"...pal carajo con la negatividad..."

Comment

Babylock here and same thing.
        🌺 Lorie

Comment

Check the troubleshooting section of your owner's book. If that doesn't help, call your dealer. I have a Janome and I am able to change the setting on the length of the trimmed thread.
          sigpicwww.whisperofrose.blogspot.com

Scottie Mom Barb

Comment

Bernina - same thing. I have tried everything and now just don't use it.
            Debbie

Comment

Originally posted by Bubby View Post
              Check the troubleshooting section of your owner's book. If that doesn't help, call your dealer. I have a Janome and I am able to change the setting on the length of the trimmed thread.
              Where is that thread tail adjustment? I have the 7700 and it would sure be useful. Mine will sometimes cut the thread too short, also.
              Cindy

Comment

I have owned 7 Janome machines and one Singer made by Janome, and none of them did/do this. The one thing they did do is ball up the bobbin thread in a tiny thread nest on the bottom when I start a new seam. Thus the use of leaders is put into the game. Strange that so many brands have this common problem.

The Janome 15000 uses a prescribed way of threading the machine, you must lock the foot down and cut the thread a specific length before attempting to use the auto threader. More steps added, but the precision pays off especially when embroidering. It took me a while to get used to that ritual, but it works well.
                Last edited by Jean Sewing Machine; August 29, 2016, 08:07 AM.

Comment

I have a Janome 8900 QCP Special Edition and am using the threadcutter all the time without problems. If you can't figure it out call your trader....you paid a lot of money for your new machine....everything should be perfect !
                  Find me on Instagram @auntie_uli

Comment

Originally posted by Auntie Uli View Post
                    I have a Janome 8900 QCP Special Edition and am using the threadcutter all the time without problems. If you can't figure it out call your trader....you paid a lot of money for your new machine....everything should be perfect !
                    Amen to that thought!

Comment

Not only do I not use the thread cutter due to that problem, I find that the aurifil 50 weight curls up so bad that I have to be really careful it doesn't "boing" itself out of the needle.
                      Also, starting in the "needle down" position after you have cranked the needle up can cause the machine to have to do an extra half-revolution before getting into the right position, and sometimes that will pull the thread out of the needle.

Comment

I like my thread clippers.

Comment

I think it is the thread and not the machine. I have several different machines and none of them are fond of this thread. I do believe that the way it is wound on the spool is what is causing the problem. I need to pull the thread back before cutting in order to keep it in the needle. With the auto-cutter I do not know what the solution is except do not use this thread.
                          No act of kindness, however small, is ever wasted.
                          Aesop

Comment

I think it's the thread weight and the tension on the thread. If the thread is really curling on top, you are going to have the thread pull out of the needle after using the cutter. If the curl is really bad, even cutting thread by hand won't help.

There are posts on this forum about how thread should unwind from the spool, and other helps. Find that, check your tension and see what happens. I'll bet you still get some instances of thread pulling out of needle or too short to pick up the next stitch. My Pfaff 2170 does that, and you'd think in the intervening years it would be corrected, but it isn't. There's too many variables and too many good quilting threads.

Drove me crazy when the Pfaff didn't pick up thread while embroidering. I stopped using the thread cutter, too.

The worst case of thread cutter gone wrong was in a 2140 Pfaff. The electronics for the cutter got inserted into pre-programmed embroidery. I happened to be in the store during one of the owner's complaints, and saw the info for the cutter flash across the screen. It was a fast flash. If you weren't looking directly at the screen in that second, you didn't see it.
                            The repairman disconnected the cutter, told the owner the cutter was no good and too expensive to replace the board, and not to use it.
                            She took the advice, and no further problems. She embroidered quite happily fro then on.

Moral: If the cutter bothers you, and a good pair of clips and manual cutting are easy, have at it. Enjoy your project and all the other nice things the machine does.

Comment

I notice even though thread is supposed to be same wt, the aurifil is a hair thinner and silkier to my fingers. It glides more, if that makes sense. So I would say it is sliding in your machine more and may need to be treated a finer thread than the 50 wt it says. That happens occasionally on my pfaff but I still use the cutter. Love my cutter. LOL

Comment

Working...
                              X