• Time
  • Show
Clear All

Interesting about quilting

http://theinboxjaunt.com/2016/08/24/...ith-stippling/
    sigpic

God, Grant me the serenity to accept the things I cannot change,
    The stash to make a quilt to help me cope,
    A quilt to give to comfort those I love in times of hurt, fear and uncertainty.
    And the courage to keep on sewing when life itself seems held together by a single thread of hope.

Re: Interesting about quilting

I'm not a big fan of stippling and I find it harder to do than the other designs I've been practicing. I'm also not a big fan of stitch in the ditch.

Comment

I learned to stipple from Leah Day. She had a bit of a pattern/design for it. I had to learn how to quilt the same design forwards, backwards, sideways and upside down. Once I did that, it was easy for me to stipple. I still like it for some quilts. I also used stippling for bobbin work on a table runner. The bobbin thread was a thick metallic gold, and it really looks lovely on the table runner.
      If you are not willing to learn, no one can help you. If you are determined to learn, no one can stop you.- Zig Ziglar

Comment

She had some beautiful quilting designs .I really love the sailboats she did how cute.
        :icon_wave:Joan

Comment

I am not a huge fan of stippling either....unless you take the time to practice (a lot) and create the muscle memory...stippling is difficult. I have hand quilted for many years (since 1992); it is now becoming hard to do and hurts my hands/wrists. So, I recently took a couple of domestic machine quilting classes.
          The first class was predominantly using the walking foot for SITD, but also learning to do curves and template design with just your walking foot. Now it is slow going, but more controlled. And, faster than hand quilting.
          The second class was free motion quilting with a darning foot/FMQ foot, quilting slider and gloves. I enjoyed the class very much, but unless you practice daily and develop muscle memory? I'll just tell you, my FMQ does not look as pretty as using a walking foot.
          Granted, both of my instructors are part of the quilt guild I belong to and they insist that however I quilt my creations to not be so hard on myself and it takes time. My instructors also impressed upon me that regardless of the design....whether you're tracing templates or the good old standard SITD....stabilizing the quilt sandwich is the main goal! You know, time isn't something I have a lot of working a full time job! But, learning a new technique and not paying someone else to quilt my creations (which I have never had that luxury)....I will eventually get UFOs done!
          Last edited by shermur; August 26, 2016, 02:30 AM.
          Sherri

"Don't let someone else's ugly spoil your beautiful. " Thanks, Bubby!!!!!!

Comment

The thing I agree with in that blog post is not to fear FMQ.The first time I did a meander or stipple on a quilt, it was beautiful, and got me excited to do more! It took me a while to branch out, and I don't feel like I've ever ruined a quilt that I've made. Just getting them done was an accomplishment, and I did the best work I was capable of doing at the time.

That doesn't mean I don't have a top waiting to be quilted until my skills improve, because I do. I'm not really afraid of ruining it, I'd like to have more practice doing large designs on large quilts, and that one is large! My machine's throat space is not. I see it happening soon, though. My next finish is on the larger side, and I plan on practicing several motifs with it.

Comment

Working...
            X