You should learn something new everyday about your sewing machine

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

You should learn something new everyday about your sewing machine

I've had this Kenmore for 40 years. Kenny the Kenmore served me well, but today I looked inside the lid of my sewing machine and noticed the little plastic thing. Look what it does! Should a look inside a lot sooner
    Attached Files
    Carrie

I cut it twice and it was still too short!

Re: You should learn something new everyday about your sewing machine

What is it? I can't see and I'm intrigued!

Comment

I think she means the extension table. Yea Kenny!
      Rescued is my favorite breed.

Comment

Yes it's a extension table. I love it! Never knew it was there. I guess I should pay more attention!
        Carrie

Comment

Closer look!
          Attached Files
          Carrie

Comment

This made me laugh because everytime I trade in a car, I discover things in the old one that I never knew existed! Once my son asked me where the extra bulbs were in the car for the turn signal. In the glove compartment, I replied. Now why would you put them there when you have a special compartment in the trunk? Ha, who knew!

Comment

That's funny. I had a machine for 10 years before I found out there was a 1/4 foot in there.
              🌺 Lorie

Comment

LOL!! Nice surprise!!!!!
                Happy Quilting!

Comment

I have had my SUV 9.5 years. It doesn't even have 60,000 miles on it. About four months ago, there was a car I wanted to test drive. The salesman was looking over my car and asked it I had fog lights....uh, no, no I don't. Well, turns out that yes, yes I do! I just never knew how to turn them on before!!
                  pat.

No rain....no rainbows!

sigpic

If you can't be nice.....BE QUIET!

Comment

Looks like Kenny still has a few tricks under his hat.

Comment

That's a good discovery! I had used my machine for about 8 years when I admired someone using the needle threader on hers (same make). She told me I should have one too and taught me how to use it. I probably should have read my manual.

Comment

Your post prompted me to reread the user manual on my Singer 201 (built in 1952), and was originally my grandmothers.

Lo & Behold... what I thought was the zero setting for stitch length was actual 6 stitches per inch, and the manual referes to the zero length as "neutral" and is only a line on the machine (no number), since the machine is so old, the painted numbers for all the stitch lengths have long been worn off, and all that remains is the indentions of numbers, which are the same color as the machine, so next to impossible to see.

Have been trying to learn fmq, and wasn't liking the result, but after this discovery, tried again last night, vast improvement on the result!

Thank you for the reminder "We're never too old to learn something new".

Comment

What a nice surprise....sort of like fabricadabra.
                          sigpicwww.whisperofrose.blogspot.com

Scottie Mom Barb

Comment

Originally posted by Caroline T. View Post
                            Your post prompted me to reread the user manual on my Singer 201 (built in 1952), and was originally my grandmothers.

Lo & Behold... what I thought was the zero setting for stitch length was actual 6 stitches per inch, and the manual referes to the zero length as "neutral" and is only a line on the machine (no number), since the machine is so old, the painted numbers for all the stitch lengths have long been worn off, and all that remains is the indentions of numbers, which are the same color as the machine, so next to impossible to see.

Have been trying to learn fmq, and wasn't liking the result, but after this discovery, tried again last night, vast improvement on the result!

Thank you for the reminder "We're never too old to learn something new".
                            Try rubbing white chalk over the indentations, then rub lightly to get the dust off and you should be able to see those numbers.

Comment

Originally posted by surfergirl View Post
                              Try rubbing white chalk over the indentations, then rub lightly to get the dust off and you should be able to see those numbers.
                              With all sincerety, you are a genius, I would have never thought of that, it worked like a charm, AND I finally found a use for the pounce chalk (that I bought on impulse and don't like).

Comment

Working...
                              X