Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Pillowcases for kids in flood ravaged Louisiana

Hi All!
    I am not sure if this is the proper place for this, but I am going to just put it out there. I live in Louisiana in the area that has been hit hard by flood waters. I personally was not flooded, but in our next door parish 90% of the homes were. Every school was flooded, and I would like to rally some quilters to make some pillowcases for the kids, something to provide them with a little comfort in this time of confusion. Please PM me for my address to send them to me. Thanks guys, quilters are some of the most generous people! Looking forward to hearing from some of you!
    Julie
    "She who dies with the most fabric wins"

Ecclesiastes 9:10 "Whatever your hand finds to do, do it with all your might, for in the realm of the dead, where you are going, there is neither working nor planning nor knowledge nor wisdom."

Julie
    :D

Re: Pillowcases for kids in flood ravaged Louisiana

Julie, I will get some pillowcases together as soon as I can...
    Carol

Sewing Mends The Soul ~ Author Unknown

Comment

I think this is a great idea. Hard to believe, but I haven't ever made a pillow case. It has to be easy and I know there are tutorials out there. Which one do you suggest.

Comment

Me either (haven't ever made a pillowcase) Do you think small quilts would be good?
        Walk in peace with the Lord by your side.
        Terry

Comment

Jenny has a pillowcase tutorial and so does Crafty Gemini. Both are very similar.
          "I'm putting together a list of 100 reasons why I am NOT relentless!" - Sue Heck, The Middle

Leonard: For God's sake, Sheldon, do I have to hold up a sarcasm sign every time I open my mouth?
          Sheldon (intrigued): You have a sarcasm sign?

Comment

Originally posted by RiverMomm View Post
            I think this is a great idea. Hard to believe, but I haven't ever made a pillow case. It has to be easy and I know there are tutorials out there. Which one do you suggest.
            I like Crafty Gemini, She uses a French seam. Nice if you don't have a serger.
            https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=TAomYjHzUQk
            🌺 Lorie

Comment

http://www.seasonedhomemaker.com/pil...burrito-style/
              pat.

No rain....no rainbows!

sigpic

If you can't be nice.....BE QUIET!

Comment

I had problems with the amount of time it took to add an accent strip. These are the instructions from All People Quilt that only uses 2 fabrics. No fussing with keeping all those raw edges aligned.

Oh - and I had a problem with the raw edges peeking through when finishing the French Seam Method. So in Step 3 (on Pg 4) I increased to 1/2 inch to make sure the raw edges were completely enclosed.

http://www.allpeoplequilt.com/millio...s/RollItUp.pdf

The first one took me a long time - I think I can get one done in less that a total of 1/2 hour now. I can see them being used not only for pillows but also as "luggage" to carry around their clothes.

Comment

Not to be a "nay sayer" but, what if the children don't have a pillow? Just a thought

Comment

Originally posted by mamo69 View Post
                    Not to be a "nay sayer" but, what if the children don't have a pillow? Just a thought
                    Good question. It at least gives them an easily identifiable place to store things. If they get even something as small as a candy bar or package of cookies they can keep it in "their" uniquely created case. The local women's shelter gives them to the kids so they have some way of transporting their clothes when they leave if there isn't any luggage available.

Comment

Please set up a page under Groups here and include your information and your mailing address for the cases. I will make some for you.
                      sigpicwww.whisperofrose.blogspot.com

Scottie Mom Barb

Comment

Originally posted by Judy, USMC View Post
                        Good question. It at least gives them an easily identifiable place to store things. If they get even something as small as a candy bar or package of cookies they can keep it in "their" uniquely created case. The local women's shelter gives them to the kids so they have some way of transporting their clothes when they leave if there isn't any luggage available.
                        Great idea Julie. Judy is correct, the pillowcase serves as a carry all. I've been involved in making and distributing pillowcases to kids in hospitals with life threatening illnesses and we often send pillowcases to disaster areas for everyone. Having an 'on the scene' person like Julie is great, she will be able to find the right group, church or agency for the cases. I don't have any pillowcases on hand right now but will check with my co chair.

All the pillowcase directions are good, you can skip the french seam and zigzag over the seams to prevent fraying, I always sew a good 1/2" seam, the accent strip is nice but not necessary. I found out after Hurricane Sandy to hold back on sending quilts, as they will be needed once people are located in some sort of housing.

Good idea Barb to set this up on Groups.
                        Last edited by MayinJerset; August 20, 2016, 07:30 AM.

Comment

Julie, Excellent idea! I'm in. will PM you.

Comment

I think this is a wonderful idea! I'll send you a PM. I have lots of fabric and am sure I can find something that will bring a cheerful smile to a child's face.
                            A day patched with quilting Seldom unravels Sharon

Comment

Bumping this up.
                              sigpicwww.whisperofrose.blogspot.com

Scottie Mom Barb

Comment

Working...
                              X