Long long binding

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Long long binding

Well I've got my work cut out for me so I better get started. I finished my full size star quilt and all it needs now is the binding. I measured it 324 inches long. I've never done a machine binding but I'm going to learn real fast. I can't imagine whip stitching this. When all done I will post a picture. I'm so proud of it. And I've aged doing it,

I thought I'd try Jenny's method. Any suggestions? Tell me what I should know about the sewing machine binding.
    sigpicLinda :icon_wave:

Re: Long long binding

I frequently machine sew on the binding. First I sew the binding to the trimmed quilt from the back, I then press the binding out and to the front holding it in place with wonder clips. I then use a wave stitch to sew down the binding on the front of the quilt. It works great for kids quilts specially.
    Claire from Pelham, Alabama

Comment

Originally posted by Claire Hallman View Post
      I frequently machine sew on the binding. First I sew the binding to the trimmed quilt from the back, I then press the binding out and to the front holding it in place with wonder clips. I then use a wave stitch to sew down the binding on the front of the quilt. It works great for kids quilts specially.
      Thanks Claire, that's a great idea with the wave stitch. Oh, I always forget to use my wonder clips, so prone to old habits
      sigpicLinda :icon_wave:

Comment

I do like Claire except I use my stitch in the ditch foot and line up the metal guide with the folded edge of the binding, adjust my needle position to the right of the metal guide til its about 1/16 or 1/8 of an inch from the folded edge, then stitch it down using a 2.5 stitch length. The metal guide helps keep the stitch straight and the back looks just like another line of quilting.

I have also done the flange binding the way Jenny demonstrates in one of her videos. Looks really nice.
        Vonnie

Comment

Same as Claire, but use little dot's of basting glue instead of clips.
          🌺 Lorie

Comment

I, too, had a huge flannel quilt to bind. One thing I did that helped a lot, and of course this depends on if your machine has this feature - my machine has a start/stop button where it sews automatically without using the presser foot ( a light touch on the foot will stop the machine) I reduced the speed on my machine to about 1/2 speed. I found using these features helped my stitching to be more consistent and reduced any bunching up or bird's nest on the back. I also used the wonder clips - couldn't have done it without them.

Comment

I use Jenny's method of joining the ends of binding by overlapping same as the width of binding, and joining ends like adding strips. The angle can be confusing so fold and look before you sew. Here are the instructons:

http://quiltingtutorials.com/all/ult...ding-tutorial/

Go to minute 9 and enjoy!
              I think it took me 2 or 3 tries before I got it right ...LOL
              Last edited by mary3100; August 18, 2016, 04:36 AM.
              Have a Sewonderful Day,
              Mary T.

Comment

I sew to the back, iron flat and bring around front and use Elmers school glue to hold it in place. Then I use my stitch in the ditch foot along the edge and move the needle over to the right for a straight line stitch. I hate hand sewing so to this point have always done my binding on the machine. I like the idea of the wave stitch. I have a couple kids quilts to put the binding on so may try that.
                Debbie

Comment

Working...
                X