Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

Sew Steady/Westalee rulers for domestic machines - anyone tried them??

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Sew Steady/Westalee rulers for domestic machines - anyone tried them??

I know these aren't totally new, but they're still kinda new
    http://www.sewsteady.com/collections...teady-products
    Has anyone tried these? Love? Not love? Difficult to maneuver on a domestic? I do have 10" of space to the right of my needle...

Re: Sew Steady/Westalee rulers for domestic machines - anyone tried them??

I have them, and have played with them and there is a learning curve. On the last Craftsy free class day, I got the class for using them, but it has been since my mishap and have not done anything with either yet.
    pat.

No rain....no rainbows!

sigpic

If you can't be nice.....BE QUIET!

Comment

Originally posted by bubba View Post
      I have them, and have played with them and there is a learning curve. On the last Craftsy free class day, I got the class for using them, but it has been since my mishap and have not done anything with either yet.
      Thanks Pat Let me know if you get a chance to play with them; I'm thinking of perhaps asking for them for Christmas.

Comment

I saw them demo-ed at a quilt expo. It looked interesting but the cost is holding me back. I'm sure there is a learning curve but I would like hands on before I spend. Got burned on the Martelli binding system a few years ago so I am a bit leary
        “What we do for ourselves dies with us. What we do for others and the world, is and remains immortal.”

― Albert Pine

Comment

I have some of these and like them, but one problem I came across with the spinning templates was that the pin that "anchors" it kept snagging on the small gap between my machine's bed and the table it's set down into. A piece of tape or two over the pin helped, but I might need to add some kind of slider or other flat piece across the bed and table to get around that.

Comment

I have them and I like them. They're not hard to use, but you need to try a couple practice squares for each design to get the hang of each template. I got mine from Massdrop and then purchased the feather and circle templates from Nancy's Notions.

I've just done small projects but I most enjoy the feathers and circles. Of course, I haven't perfected either of them yet, but I'm getting there. If you'd like to see the process for each of the templates, Westalee has a set of youtube videos you may find helpful.

https://www.youtube.com/playlist?lis...OrbZfrjmkXMSwo

Comment

I have been wanting to try these too. Maybe a retirement gift to myself.
              ***Kathy***

Comment

I got mine on a screaming sale when I got them, otherwise, they would still be at the store!! Check on Ebay, maybe you will get lucky there! I recently saw another company that had them.....was it Martelli??
                pat.

No rain....no rainbows!

sigpic

Comment

The lowest price ruler foot that I am aware off was just released in a clear version. Make sure you pick the right shank size for your sewing machine

http://www.accentsindesign.com/#!shop/c2ud
                  Stash Treasure Acquisitions Beyond Life Expectancy. My stash keeps me STABLE, oh yeah.... and dark chocolate.

Comment

I purchased the ruler toe for the Janome and I use long-arm templates that my mother no longer wants. Also, the small rulers with handles from Quilter's Apothecary (Jamie Wallen) are wonderful. Plus the handles are maroon!! And I've used a small curve-y thing from DeLoa Jones.

So my take is--get and use whatever works for you in the space you have. It does help to put grippy dots on the rulers.
                    The trail is the thing----Louis L'Amour

Comment

Thank you all, for the info! I'll keep an eye out for sales

Comment

I have them but I have only played with them. I bought them thru Massdrop and they came with the ruler foot. I just started fmq and I LOVE this ruler foot! It doesn't hop up and down and I can do a much better job with this foot than I could do with either of my darning feet that came with the Juki.

Comment

Originally posted by bakermom View Post
                          I saw them demo-ed at a quilt expo. It looked interesting but the cost is holding me back. I'm sure there is a learning curve but I would like hands on before I spend. Got burned on the Martelli binding system a few years ago so I am a bit leary
                          I just ordered the starter set, on sale. Can't wait to try it.

http://www.qualitysewing.com/dream-w...arter-kit.html

Comment

Didn't they have any in stock at the Puyallup store? The Tacoma store usually always has them. Anyway, that is who I got mine thru too! When they first came out I grabbed them for $79.95. Your deal is a good one too!
                            pat.

No rain....no rainbows!

sigpic

Comment

Originally posted by bubba View Post
                              Didn't they have any in stock at the Puyallup store? The Tacoma store usually always has them. Anyway, that is who I got mine thru too! When they first came out I grabbed them for $79.95. Your deal is a good one too!
                              Truth be told, I didn't check directly with the store. I have had several unpleasant customer service experiences with the Puyallup store, and will not go there again, even if it means driving further for what I need/want.

Comment

Working...
                              X