Sewing Machine Song

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Sewing Machine Song

A lady posted this on a mailing list I read. I thought y'all would like it too.

Hi,
    I volunteer with The Sewing Machine Project in Columbia, Missouri USA,
    where we repair and refurbish old, donated sewing machines and ship them
    to poor women and a few men, in developing countries. We send out about
    350 machines a year. This gives those people a tool that they can use to
    make clothes for their family and items to take to the village market to
    sell. This provides income and self-respect.

At a fundraiser for The Sewing Machine Project last year, my husband, Jeff
    "Dr Chordate" Moran, wrote and sang a song about the life of an old sewing
    machine that you might find interesting.

The link to that song is: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=9lWlg-hY9Ig and here are the lyrics -

The Sewing Machine by Jeffrey Moran
    There was a lot of life in that sewing machine. Simple, durable, worked like a dream.
    Clothes, curtains, pillow cases, many other things. It was a good life for that Singer sewing machine.

Grandma loved her sewing machine. She and Grandpa bought it back in nineteen nineteen.
    Took twenty months of payments to make that Singer theirs.
    And though for newlyweds it cost a lot,
    ‘Twas one of the best deals that they got.
    Because she used it to make all the clothes for them to wear.
    And Grandma added love when she made the family clothes.
    She was an artiste with everything she sewed.
    But after more than forty years, vision growing dim,
    She finally gave up her sewing tasks.
    Her oldest granddaughter came and asked.
    If she could have her Grandma’s sewing machine.

It was a new life for that old sewing machine. Simple, durable, still worked like a dream.
    Granddaughter only used it every now and then. It was a new life for that old Singer sewing machine.

Granddaughter loved that old sewing machine, because it had been her Grandma’s favorite thing.
    And she used it every Halloween
    To make costumes and other things.
    Thirty years later, the children grown. And gone all the Halloween costumes she had sewn.
    That old Singer sewing machine no longer ran. Now set in a sunny spot, used as a plant stand.

It was a new so-called life for that old sewing machine. Sturdy cabinet, fit the retro decoration theme.
    No longer making clothes, but good for other things. It was a new so-called life for that old sewing machine.

Twenty years later at a family gathering No one wanted that old sewing machine.
    “Does it even work?” the question asked. “Can we do anything but put it in the trash?”
    Someone said, “A place here in town takes stuff like this. Sends it to the third world if it can be fixed.
    Folks say that Jim there can fix ‘most anything. Let’s give them this old sewing machine.” (And they did!)
    So Terry cleaned it, Jim repaired, Mel packed it in a box. They shipped it to a Guatemalan sewing coop.

A poor Guatemalan woman from the hills went to the coop, learned some sewing skills.
    They gave her that old Singer sewing machine.
    Now she makes her family clothes and lots of other things
    That she takes to the village market to sell . . . .
    It’s a new life for that Guatemalan woman from the hills.

A lot of life is left in that old sewing machine. It’s durable and Jim got it working like a dream.
    Still can make a lot of clothes and many other things. It’s a new life for that good old Singer sewing machine.

A lot of life is left in that old sewing machine. Simple, durable, still works like a dream.
    Still can make a lot of clothes and many other things. It’s a good life for that old Singer sewing machine.

Thanks and Enjoy!
    Barbara Moran

Re: Sewing Machine Song

That is really cool what they do. Quite a little diddy they have there.
    Blankets wrap you in warmth, quilts wrap you in love

Marilyn......
    sigpic

Comment

That kind of gave me goose bumps when I read the lyrics. It's so great that our old forgotten items can bring so much joy and good to others in dire circumstances.

Comment

its a wonderful story. I was thinking how nice it would be if we had a bunch of old machines that were running and gave them to US girls to encourage them in this new skill they might never have thought they wanted. Now that home ec classes are not "in"
        Walk in peace with the Lord by your side.
        Terry

Comment

That song really struck a cord with me (pun not intended, but certainly appropriate). My Grandmother was a seamstress and used a Singer, purchased in the early 1960's. When she eventually upgraded in the 70's she passed down her old Singer to my sisters & me so we could make our own clothes. Since i was the youngest sister, the machine stayed with me., after the others move out.

When I moved cross country I couldn't take it with me, so I left it with my mother, who made numerous quilts for family, friends, and charity on that old simple machine

A few years ago, Mom passed away, and my brother shipped the Singer to me. And i have been using it faithfully since then. Everytime I sit to sew, I feel like Grandma & Mom are stitching right along side me.

Just because a machine is old, and outdated by our American standards, doesn't mean it doesn't still have a lot of life in it and can't be appreciated by someone.

Comment

They lyrics are good, and the video is nice too. Shows a lot of old machines.

It's great that these old machines are still getting use.

Here's a few photos of a treadle machine used by women in a Malawi village. It's a beautiful machine.

They are making skirts. I think the strips on the machine is going to be the waistband.

13723886_929077127221613_8222948437961470566_o.jpg13738246_929077690554890_1228593320866436938_o.jpg13734959_929669650495694_4387495615739067475_o.jpg

Comment

What a good thing to do with machines that just might end up in the trash here.Your husbands song is quite nice also.
              :icon_wave:Joan

Comment

Working...
              X