What do you like in a ruler?

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

What do you like in a ruler?

In the latest M* video with Jenny and Rob (Strip and Block? Square?) they were 'chatting' about a M* ruler. Jenny's comments piqued my interest, not because they were doing a little product placement, but she was honestly saying what she likes in a ruler.

Now, I look at a lot of rulers, but own few. I like ones that can do multiple jobs, but then again I'm in Jenny's camp with not wanting them to be complicated. I was just looking at one and it had so many lines on it I remembered what Jenny said and realized in this case I'd rather have three rulers instead of one that makes me feel crazy every time I try to use it.

So just sort of informally, I'm wondering what everyone else likes in a ruler. Do you mind tons of lines and having to think when you use it if it does the work of several rulers? Do you just want easy? What do you want?

Re: What do you like in a ruler?

I have lots of rulers I never use. What I like:
    1. E-Z rulers, black marks, basic grid lines
    2. CG ruler caled I Heart My Quilting Friends. It has handy 1/8" marks, also 1/4". I use lots of jelly rolls and charm packs so it's size, 2-1/2" x (I think) 9" means it is a ruler I am always grabbing
    3. CG 12" for squaring up. IMO better than Bloc Locs.

This is a good thread and I will be following. Interested in what everyone else has to say. I do not like Bloc Loc rulers. Don't have any of Jenny's rulers --I am sure they are very good but I think I have enough already!

Comment

I like basic. I use my 24 x 6 1/2 the most. I got it at Walmart.https://www.amazon.com/Wrights-2-Inc.../dp/B000B7Q9BQ

I like Jenny's new 5 x15 '' ruler too. Basic and nice size.
      🌺 Lorie

Comment

I have that 5 by 15" ruler they were talking about. I got it free when they were testing them but I am always using that one. I love the size. So much handier to use than the 24" rulers. If they would have made me send it back after testing I would have purchased one. I was concerned about the color at first but after using it to cut some like green neon ripstop with no issues at all, I was sold.

I also like my Creative Grids rulers.
        K is for Karen 😊​..................
        Cremation - My last hope for a smokin' hot body.

Before you speak,
        T - is it TRUE?
        H - is it HELPFUL?
        I - is it INSPIRING?
        N - is it NECESSARY?
        K - is it KIND?

Comment

I like Creative Grid rulers.......easy to read and most important.....non slip dots embedded into back on rulers.
          "I'm putting together a list of 100 reasons why I am NOT relentless!" - Sue Heck, The Middle

Leonard: For God's sake, Sheldon, do I have to hold up a sarcasm sign every time I open my mouth?
          Sheldon (intrigued): You have a sarcasm sign?

Comment

My most recent ruler purchase was an Olfa frosted 6x24". Love it because the lines are minimal, it is very easy to read on light and dark fabric, it doesn't slip and is free from the yellow markings of Omnigrid and the black dots on Creative Grid. I just wish they made more sizes. For me, the Olfa frosted is perfect.
            Michele

to the world you may be one person, but to one person you may be the world...

Comment

My favorite ruler is the one by M*, 5'X15". It doesn't have a lot of lines and is green which makes grid lines stand out much better that the omnigrid ruler.
              :icon_hiya: Coleen

"I expect to pass through this world but once. Any good I can do, or any kindness I can show, let me do now, for I will not pass through this way again."

Comment

Originally posted by chelea View Post
                My most recent ruler purchase was an Olfa frosted 6x24". Love it because the lines are minimal, it is very easy to read on light and dark fabric, it doesn't slip and is free from the yellow markings of Omnigrid and the black dots on Creative Grid. I just wish they made more sizes. For me, the Olfa frosted is perfect.
                I was gifted with this ruler at Christmas, and my first thought was - Oh no! my THIRD 6 X 24" ruler. But after using it, it is now my GO TO 6 X 24" ruler! I always reach first for my Stripology ruler when I am beginning a project., and use it as much as possible as it save a bit of time since I don't have to move the ruler until after all the cuts are made.

I also use my 12" Square Creative Grids and 6" Square Omni a lot. (WIsh the 6" was also CG, but didn't know about that brand "way back when".) I'm planning on purchasing the CG 20.5" square ruler. I have a 3.5 X 12" CG that comes in handy - it's main purpose is to draw circles, and it does that well (though I haven't done much with circles).

My most used speciality ruler is the M* Layer Cake Dresden Plate Template. I used it to cut all my 2.5" tumbler blocks, and I think it could also be use to cut 5" tumblers as well. I like to buy the speciality rulers when they are the DD, but I admit to having a few that I haven't used.
                If you are not willing to learn, no one can help you. If you are determined to learn, no one can stop you.- Zig Ziglar

Comment

most of my rulers are omnigrid I like them as they have markings at 1/4 and dots at 1/8 the yellow shows up on most fabrics. The one I use the most is 6 x 14. The perfect size to control and move around. I find the 24 inch ones just 2 long to move around comfortably.I do have some specialty rulers and they work well for what they are. Not fond of rulers with black markings they blend in to fabric to well.
                  sigpic:icon_hug: Iris Girl = April = fabric, Fabric FABRIC!!
                  Time spent with cats is never wasted.
                  Sigmund Freud

Comment

Creative Grids rulers for sure! That's what most of mine are.

Comment

My favorite basic cutting rulers are Creative Grids rulers. I use the 8.5 X 12.5 the most. My go to speciality rulers are Deb Tucker's rulers. I won't make a flying geese or HST without my Tucker Trimmer and Wing Clipper rulers (have several fir different sizes). I do not like the OmniGrid rulers. My eyes don't adjust well with the yellow markings. I have several that I purchased before I discovered Creative Grids.

Comment

Originally posted by jjkaiser View Post
                        I have lots of rulers I never use. What I like:
                        1. E-Z rulers, black marks, basic grid lines
                        2. CG ruler caled I Heart My Quilting Friends. It has handy 1/8" marks, also 1/4". I use lots of jelly rolls and charm packs so it's size, 2-1/2" x (I think) 9" means it is a ruler I am always grabbing
                        3. CG 12" for squaring up. IMO better than Bloc Locs.

This is a good thread and I will be following. Interested in what everyone else has to say. I do not like Bloc Loc rulers. Don't have any of Jenny's rulers --I am sure they are very good but I think I have enough already!
                        I love the I Heart My Quilting Friends ruler too! I keep that within reach, though I suppose I don't use it as much since I got the Itty Bitty Eights ruler. Still, it's a nifty small ruler that does a lot without being a lot.

I don't have any M* or BlocLoc rulers. I understand the higher price of BlocLoc but haven't had a need to make that sort of investment, but I do like that they seem simple as well. Pulling out instructions for a ruler or scrutinizing lines is not my thing at all.

Comment

I've been squaring up my HSTs tonight and I have 4.5 Creative Grids square ruler and it's been a dream to use. I think I'll be buying CG to add to the rulers I use - it's clear, not a bajillion marks on it that get in the way and it doesn't slip.

Comment

I simply love my Creative Grid rulers... I ordered the little 3.5X12.5, and use it all the time... It's so handy. I love the clarity of CG rulers... They are easy to use, and easy to see through... I have several, and would never go back to the yellow ones...

Sandy from Cincinnati

AKA Kermit

Comment

Working...
                            X