Cheating on my quilts

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Cheating on my quilts

Does anyone else feel guilty for not making quilt tops? I want to make a very simple comfort quillow and a tote bag for my upcoming train trip, but I feel like I'm wasting valuable time for making quilt tops. I do it for a hobby, not a job, but I'm having a hard time allowing myself to make other projects. I know it sounds dumb, but I feel like I'm cheating on my quilts!

Re: Cheating on my quilts

So you mean making whole cloth quits instead? I don't see anything wrong with that. There are some beautiful fabrics out there, some I own that I don't want to piece.
    🌺 Lorie

Comment

I make what makes me happy and often it's mug mats, placemats, totes and all sorts of machine embroidered projects. No worries...make whatever gives you joy. There are no quilt police around here.
      sigpicwww.whisperofrose.blogspot.com

Scottie Mom Barb

Comment

I have so many projects I'm working on, it seems I have very little time for actual quilt tops. I just finished a baby car seat cover and am starting another. I have burp cloths, changing pads and bibs to make. I have two sets of curtains and a bunch of doll clothes to make also. I have several sets of bath towels I need to monogram (machine embroidery). Plus the three quilts I hope to get done before Christmas!

There just isn't enough time in the day!
        Lori

http://sewtimeforme.blogspot.com/

Comment

Originally posted by Hulamoon View Post
          So you mean making whole cloth quits instead? I don't see anything wrong with that. There are some beautiful fabrics out there, some I own that I don't want to piece.
          Yes. My first sewing project 20 years ago was a quillow that was one fabric piece. I wanted to do that again given my allotted time before my trip, but having invested hours in my "pieced" quilt tops, it seems like making a one piece quillow is like having to redo primary school after graduating college. It's a trivial decision to everyone, I'm sure, but I have a tad of OCD, so it's a big deal to me. One of my many quirks!

Comment

Originally posted by Lori63 View Post
            I have so many projects I'm working on, it seems I have very little time for actual quilt tops. I just finished a baby car seat cover and am starting another. I have burp cloths, changing pads and bibs to make. I have two sets of curtains and a bunch of doll clothes to make also. I have several sets of bath towels I need to monogram (machine embroidery). Plus the three quilts I hope to get done before Christmas!

There just isn't enough time in the day!
            No kidding, right!? I can't even think about Christmas. I planned on making stockings...uh huh, sure!

Comment

Sewing is sewing and takes many forms. It's supposed to be fun. Just make what you need to want to and don't beat yourself up about it. Personally I would love it if I could find someone else to piece my quilts and just let me do the quilting. I get bored easily with piecing especially if I am making 30 or 35 of the same block over and over again!!

Comment

Sometimes I even take time off to make moccasins. Its all good.

Comment

Originally posted by Kenz View Post
                  Yes. My first sewing project 20 years ago was a quillow that was one fabric piece. I wanted to do that again given my allotted time before my trip, but having invested hours in my "pieced" quilt tops, it seems like making a one piece quillow is like having to redo primary school after graduating college. It's a trivial decision to everyone, I'm sure, but I have a tad of OCD, so it's a big deal to me. One of my many quirks!
                  If I was making quillows for the grandkids I would make them whole cloth. There are six of them! They are all so young they couldn't care less if I made them a quilt.
                  🌺 Lorie

Comment

Make what makes you happy.
                    Stash Treasure Acquisitions Beyond Life Expectancy. My stash keeps me STABLE, oh yeah.... and dark chocolate.

Comment

"Quilt: A warm bed covering made of padding enclosed between layers of fabric. " Your quillow meets the definition of a quilt...and it wouldn't matter if it didn't. Do what you want to do and enjoy it all!
                      *~* Myrna *~*
                      *~* Quilters lead pieceful lives *~*

Comment

I agree with the others, do what makes you happy. No one else is keeping tabs on what you're working on or how many quilts you complete. (at least I hope not, because they'd get bored waiting between my projects). For the first time, I'm juggling multiple projects, and when they're done, I need to stop sewing for a bit and paint window sills and frames, oh boy. Just make yourself happy. no guilt.

Comment

I know what you mean, I have some fabric for draperies for my DS that I told her I would do in April. I don't want to stop quilting long enough to make them. When I am home from my retreat a week from Monday I will tackle that, I promise I will.

Comment

Don't worry about it... I'm taking a yarn break right now.... Haven't crocheted or knitted in years... Having fun discovering the new yarns.... I'll get back to my quilting.... Not a problem... Do whatever you feel like doing...

Sandy from Cincinnati

AKA Kermit

Comment

maybe thinking of it as giving your brain a break so it can come back refreshed would help. I just got over a "no sew" slump and feel much happier about my quilting.
                              sigpic

Comment

Working...
                              X