MSQ--not always best buy

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

MSQ--not always best buy

I love the large variety MSQ has to offer and the new catalog is great but-- I found one item higher price than in another mail order with cheaper S&H. The DD's are great if you want or need that item.
    Anyone else "shop around" or do you just order from MSQ with out shopping prices (total amount you pay)?

Re: MSQ--not always best buy

I do my shopping at a couple online sites. I shop only a couple because customer service is worth a lot too. MSQC has one of the top customer service centers in this industry. You would be hard pressed the find more than a few who can match them. All that said, price is important. Ao if ai find something less expensive at another online retailer I shop, then yes I would get if at the lesser price. Hope that all made sense.
    Karen
    Life is short - Live everyday to the fullest

Comment

I love the M* story, their customer service, website, forum, etc. I have purchased several products -- yardage, templates, etc.

However, I cannot afford their precuts. The bulk of my purchases are from FQS, Shabby Fabrics (in the past, but they no longer have regular deep discounts), Keepsake Quilting, and Hancocks of Paducah along with a LQS that is about one hour away from me. As for their Daily Deals -- GREAT prices, but I am selective re: my fabric purchases (just because I like it, I don't buy it unless I have a use for it) and do not like to be limited to just 1 item cause -- really what can I do with just 1 charm pack?

One reason I can't afford their precuts: When I started quilting a few years ago I soon after hit the online Christmas sales, followed by February sales, then Mother's Day sales and was able to get precuts for less than $5.00 a yard! So, now that is my price point for precuts! Unless, I absolutely have to have a certain fabric line; then I may go up to $6 a yard.
      Blessings, DramaMama

"May your bobbin always be full!"

Massdrop Refer-A-Friend link: :icon_woohoo:
      http://link.massdrop.com/54bd7c22291...of0ePjsfeAaf4b

Comment

I think M's prices are very competitive with other retailers or else they wouldn't be having the phenomenal success they have worked so hard for. If their prices were out of line people would shop elsewhere even though their customer service is outstanding. They are my go to, along with FQS. I hardly ever shop anywhere else.

Comment

I too shop around. I find that I tend to buy precut elsewhere and my yardage from MSQ. Notions, thread, supplies, and batting I buy at my LQS, but usually end up with an impulse buy there too.

Comment

I love the MSQC story. I love their work ethic. I love the forum. I do shop elsewhere because price IS important to me. But, I want this company to survive. I will say that customer service is good at connecting threads as well but the quality of fabrics at M is spectacular. Depends on what I need. However, I find I do shop the internet for hardgoods. I don't think fabric shops are very competitive for matts and rulers etc.
            Walk in peace with the Lord by your side.
            Terry

Comment

I too shop around but mostly at MSQC. I buy 90% of my precuts from them especially if I buy it full price as they have them at the best prices. But if I am looking for a specific line I do search for it on sale first.

Keep in mind at MSQC not only are the precuts generally better priced they are same number of pieces among manufacturers (Moda, Riley Blake etc.) - I.e. all charm packs have 42 pieces). Not the case at all stores.
              Wendy
              http://www.pinterest.com/wlrich2/boards/

Comment

How's it different from any other store regarding pricing? Just because it's at Walmart doesn't mean it's the cheapest price on the planet; all stores have some great prices but have to make up that difference somewhere. A store that is all discount simply doesn't exist because they couldn't maintain profit and competition very long. People wet their pants at a dollar store and most of the items are grossly overpriced if you compare the size/weight to the same product at a regular store, but some items are a great deal or are the size you need or you pick up because you're already shopping there.

I'm a bargain hunter by nature, I don't blindly shop at any one store. But math comes into play sometimes; driving to another store or paying shipping at a different online store often negates the expense of paying a slightly higher price where I'm already making a purchase. It goes a long way if a store makes me feel happy too M* has some really nice prices, I tend to start my fabric and notions shopping with them.

Comment

Originally posted by mamo69 View Post
                  I found one item higher price than in another mail order with cheaper S&H.
                  Out of how many thousands in the catalog?
                  K is for Karen πŸ˜Šβ€‹..................
                  Cremation - My last hope for a smokin' hot body.

Before you speak,
                  T - is it TRUE?
                  H - is it HELPFUL?
                  I - is it INSPIRING?
                  N - is it NECESSARY?
                  K - is it KIND?

Comment

Originally posted by stitchwishes View Post
                    It goes a long way if a store makes me feel happy too M* has some really nice prices, I tend to start my fabric and notions shopping with them.
                    This is probably a key element to the success of M* -- emotional purchases! Not just for general impulse buyers, but the "following" they have built through Jenny's personal video tutorials, active Fb posts, success story with both their business and town development, great customer service and the nice handwritten notes on the receipts we get in our packages when they arrive -- it makes us feel like we are part of something great, doesn't it; and that "personal" connection makes us want to support them.

Their marketing plan has been great (asking "why not" instead of "why" or "okay, let's do what everyone else is doing"). Good for them!
                    Blessings, DramaMama

"May your bobbin always be full!"

Massdrop Refer-A-Friend link: :icon_woohoo:
                    http://link.massdrop.com/54bd7c22291...of0ePjsfeAaf4b

Comment

I pretty much shop MSQC.... Mostly the DD's...if it's something I really want or need... I did once get a really, really good buy on Etsy... $20 for five or six half yards if quality fabrics... ...

I like the simple five dollar limit on M* shipping..... And the Free Shipping day... It even thungs out...

Sandy from Cincinnati

AKA Kermit

Comment

Price is one consideration, but I also go by the design and trustworthiness of a site when online shopping. If a site only has tiny previews of the fabric and it takes forever to find what I'm after, I'm less likely to buy, low price or not. Same goes if their web page looks like it was designed in the early OO's with Comic Sans text - then I'm wary of how up to date their security might be.

As long as the quality is there, I don't mind paying a little more. If you think about it, most of M* designer fabric is only a dollar or two more per yard than the house brand of calicos at JoAnn's, which is basically garbage fabric because it's so thin, stiff and see-through. A race to the bottom on prices gets you fabric that is overpriced for the quality and bland in design.

I've got some strong opinions on pursuing discounts for discount's sake. People have gotten so used to deep discounts that they expect it all the time, to the point where they seem to be attracted to the idea of saving more than the product itself. Then they develop the idea that full price is for suckers. Retailers know this and super-inflate "regular" prices to make "sale" prices look like a better deal, or they source cheaper and cheaper versions of a product to satisfy the demand for low price items. For example, you may see a $60 blouse that is similar to many $30 blouses you've seen elsewhere marked down to $45. Or a $28 scissor set marked down to $15 when it's not really so different in quality to $10 pack of house scissors you might find at Harbor Freight.

There's always going to be a premium on the latest designer fabrics. You can wait it out and get the fabric at a lower price after the hype has died down, but it may be more difficult to find every print in the quantities you need. There's always going to be some kind of trade-off: price, availability, quality.

Comment

I buy from MSQC almost exclusively. I know they won't always have the lowest prices, but when I check around, they do most of the time because for me, the price of fabric is only one factor, I need quality too and I get that here. And you can't beat their selection and customer service. I love spending my quilting dollars here and supporting the Doan's because I love their fabric and I love their story.
                          Courage is being scared to death, and saddling up anyway. ~John Wayne

Quilting is my passion . . . chocolate is a close second!

Comment

I don;t buy pre-cuts, and I'm not much into designer fads, so I usually just go to Marshals Dry Goods. Good people, good prices, LOTS of lovely fabric.

Comment

I find their prices to be competitive. While most of my purchases are local, I find many times i can get just what I need here. By the time I drive around to find what I want I spend more in time and gas than I pay in shipping.
                              β€œWhat we do for ourselves dies with us. What we do for others and the world, is and remains immortal.”

― Albert Pine

Comment

Working...
                              X