replied
    Re: Like a lightbulb.

Light bulb moments are the best!

Leave a comment:

• grammaterry
    replied

Originally posted by JCY View Post
    I started cutting fabric today for the Cutting Corners pattern. Yest. I bought 21 FQs (5 dif. fabrics) at my LQS for $1.00 each from the "orphan corner". I got some yardage for 50% off, which I'll use for the backing. I chose a batik for the background fabric. (Paid full price for that.) One of the ladies at the LQS suggested it. When we laid out all the FQ fabrics against it, it was the best match. I hadn't even considered using a batik until she suggested it. The 2 predominate colors will be pink & lt. green. Three are floral designs. I can't wait to sew together a sample block.

A person could use left over 2.5" binding strips. As long as you had strips that were just over 10" long, you could make a bunch of scrappy strip sets. They wouldn't have to be in the same color way. It will be interesting to see what all everyone comes up with.
    Actually, as long as the strips are the same width it doesn't matter if they are 10 inches long or not. They make pretty patterns even when you have several coming together in one block.

Leave a comment:

• easyquilts
    replied

I had to go back and look at the video, too... Very cool... I can't wait to try this... Thanks for the reminder...

I'm looking forward to seeing your quilt....

Leave a comment:

• JCY
    replied

I started cutting fabric today for the Cutting Corners pattern. Yest. I bought 21 FQs (5 dif. fabrics) at my LQS for $1.00 each from the "orphan corner". I got some yardage for 50% off, which I'll use for the backing. I chose a batik for the background fabric. (Paid full price for that.) One of the ladies at the LQS suggested it. When we laid out all the FQ fabrics against it, it was the best match. I hadn't even considered using a batik until she suggested it. The 2 predominate colors will be pink & lt. green. Three are floral designs. I can't wait to sew together a sample block.

A person could use left over 2.5" binding strips. As long as you had strips that were just over 10" long, you could make a bunch of scrappy strip sets. They wouldn't have to be in the same color way. It will be interesting to see what all everyone comes up with.

Leave a comment:

• grammaterry
    replied

I sort of have a rule...If I get a box of scraps that weighs as much as a top, I have to use it before I can sew from whole cloth. Scraps make my life seem chaotic and overwhelming, so I always try to use them up. And by doing it quickly, they almost always coordinate well, because they came from the same color schemes generally

Leave a comment:

• Pigwidgeon
    replied

I love this! I was wondering what to do with the scraps. I can't stand throwing them away if they are over 1" wide, especially with such pretty fabrics.

Leave a comment:

• grammaterry
    replied

My daughters hate the melon. Said I should have used grey or white. But...I didn't have gray or white. And the quality of the fabric in my goodwill sheet was so good I thought it would be great. I am sandwiching it today. I don't like that part.
    Originally posted by seaturtle View Post
    Terry, thanks. I get what you're saying now. I love the quilt - it looks terrific with the melon. I just did a kid's quilt with a bold solid color for the coordinating square and I love how it turned out. Creates so much interest!

Leave a comment:

• grammaterry
    replied

I think that's a great idea. Seemed like when I was sewing the odds and ends pieces together it really didn't matter what they were, they all seemed to go together and I had so much fun because it wasn't monotonous.
    Originally posted by Hulamoon View Post
    Very nice Terry! I like this tutorial too. I was thinking of another idea. What if you did primary stripes or any solids and matched it with a print. I have a ton of children's prints I could use like that. You got me thinking!

Leave a comment:

• amartin24
    replied

Wow Terry - you made a beautiful quilt, in hardly any time, hardly any money, and used up scraps!

Leave a comment:

• seaturtle
    replied

Terry, thanks. I get what you're saying now. I love the quilt - it looks terrific with the melon. I just did a kid's quilt with a bold solid color for the coordinating square and I love how it turned out. Creates so much interest!

Leave a comment:

• Hulamoon
    replied

Very nice Terry! I like this tutorial too. I was thinking of another idea. What if you did primary stripes or any solids and matched it with a print. I have a ton of children's prints I could use like that. You got me thinking!
    Last edited by Hulamoon; August 9, 2016, 10:26 PM.

Leave a comment:

• TMP
    replied

Thanks for posting . I also re-watched the video. I like the idea of using scraps for this quilt. Your quilt is just lovely.
    I am still just amazed at Jenny's video's and her creativity. She makes me want to make one of each of them.

Leave a comment:

• JCY
    replied

Wow, how neat is that?! Very nice! What a great way to use up scrap 2.5" strips. Or use a JR or cut your own strips. I re-watched the tutorial. I think I'll add this one to my list.

Leave a comment:

• lots2do
    replied

Wow! That is a really striking quilt. Well done!

Leave a comment:

• grammaterry
    replied

I cut the strips one day...I sewed them into jellyroll like strips the next...I cut them into 10" squares...I sandwiched them with solids and cut into hst's the next ...yesterday and today I sewed them together and voila...Just 36 hours...I have a 93x103 inch top.cuttingcorners.jpg This is all scraps for the colors and the melon is a new Goodwill Melon flat sheet that I purchased for $3. Now, Just sandwich it and FMQ and bind and PRESTO...a new quilt for the Shriners.

Leave a comment:

Working...
X