Like a lightbulb.

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Like a lightbulb.

Lucky for me, I read this forum and the other day, someone talked about Jenny's dressmaker past and how when she sews the layer cakes together and then cuts them into triangles she ends up with bias hst's. I hadn't thought of how when I sewed garmets , the bias was never a problem.
    So, Now I am making the "cutting corners" quilt and have never had so much fun with scraps. I had a box filled with 2, 1 1/2, 2 1/2 and 3" strips. I sewed them together, then in jelly roll like strips and then cut them into 10" squares. I am assembling now.
    Just wanted to thank whoever posted that post. It was like a light bulb. My squares are all easing into the nesting seams and all is lining up like a dream
    Walk in peace with the Lord by your side.
    Terry

Re: Like a lightbulb.

I had to go back and look at the video again. Pretty cool.
    Blessed are the children of the piecemakers for they shall inherit the quilts!

Comment

I am quilting a scrap quilt right now. It was so much fun to make I may never make another traditional one. Because quilting should be fun right?!!

Comment

Originally posted by Monique View Post
        I had to go back and look at the video again. Pretty cool.
        What video is that? I am missing the lightbulb.
        Cindy

Comment

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=05OwI46u1oY
          Blessed are the children of the piecemakers for they shall inherit the quilts!

Comment

The video that Monique is talking about is the cutting corners video. The post I can't remember who wrote was a comment that said that Jenny's background was in garment sewing and so , she didn't think about the consequences of bias sewing because in garment sewing we are used to sewing on the bias.
            That was my lightbulb, because I remember learning about bias when I was making costumes and clothing and had forgotten that it reacts so much different than straight grains. Because it is so stretchy, when you are putting the cutting corners together, you just have to match up the nesting seams and let the bias fit the square into place. I just finished putting mine together. I'll post a picture here in a few minutes.
            Terry

Comment

I cut the strips one day...I sewed them into jellyroll like strips the next...I cut them into 10" squares...I sandwiched them with solids and cut into hst's the next ...yesterday and today I sewed them together and voila...Just 36 hours...I have a 93x103 inch top.cuttingcorners.jpg This is all scraps for the colors and the melon is a new Goodwill Melon flat sheet that I purchased for $3. Now, Just sandwich it and FMQ and bind and PRESTO...a new quilt for the Shriners.
              Terry

Comment

Wow! That is a really striking quilt. Well done!

Comment

Wow, how neat is that?! Very nice! What a great way to use up scrap 2.5" strips. Or use a JR or cut your own strips. I re-watched the tutorial. I think I'll add this one to my list.

Comment

Thanks for posting . I also re-watched the video. I like the idea of using scraps for this quilt. Your quilt is just lovely.
                    I am still just amazed at Jenny's video's and her creativity. She makes me want to make one of each of them.

Comment

Very nice Terry! I like this tutorial too. I was thinking of another idea. What if you did primary stripes or any solids and matched it with a print. I have a ton of children's prints I could use like that. You got me thinking!
                      Last edited by Hulamoon; August 9, 2016, 09:26 PM.
                      🌺 Lorie

Comment

Terry, thanks. I get what you're saying now. I love the quilt - it looks terrific with the melon. I just did a kid's quilt with a bold solid color for the coordinating square and I love how it turned out. Creates so much interest!
                        Cindy

Comment

Wow Terry - you made a beautiful quilt, in hardly any time, hardly any money, and used up scraps!
                          I am Sew Blessed!
                          Alina

Comment

I think that's a great idea. Seemed like when I was sewing the odds and ends pieces together it really didn't matter what they were, they all seemed to go together and I had so much fun because it wasn't monotonous.
                            Originally posted by Hulamoon View Post
                            Very nice Terry! I like this tutorial too. I was thinking of another idea. What if you did primary stripes or any solids and matched it with a print. I have a ton of children's prints I could use like that. You got me thinking!
                            Terry

Comment

My daughters hate the melon. Said I should have used grey or white. But...I didn't have gray or white. And the quality of the fabric in my goodwill sheet was so good I thought it would be great. I am sandwiching it today. I don't like that part.
                              Originally posted by seaturtle View Post
                              Terry, thanks. I get what you're saying now. I love the quilt - it looks terrific with the melon. I just did a kid's quilt with a bold solid color for the coordinating square and I love how it turned out. Creates so much interest!
                              Terry

Comment

Working...
                              X