Another quilt shop closing

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Another quilt shop closing

Received an email over the weekend that my very favorite quilt shop in NYC is closing - The City Quilter. They have been in business for 20 years. Very sad!
    Marilyn from New York City

Re: Another quilt shop closing

So sorry to hear, Marilyn...I hope you have an alternative?
    Sherri

"Don't let someone else's ugly spoil your beautiful. " Thanks, Bubby!!!!!!

Comment

There are three smaller ones in Manhattan where I live. I have been in two of them, neither quite as nice as City Quilter. I think I am just overall sad about the direction Manhattan is going in -- over the last few months, many of my favorite restaurants have closed as well. Rents are out of control here. And many old, small buildings are being torn down and replaced with tall buildings. Not moving any time soon as my daughter is just starting her junior year of high school.

Sherri - Thank you for your kind thoughts!

Comment

That is sad news! I love the small business world!
        Happy Quilting!

Comment

When is it closing? I was hoping to get there on one of my visits to my daughter and her family. With my bad back, I don't think I can do all the walking needed to get around Manhatten, though. But, if I had the chance to get there before it closed, I would certainly try.
          If you are not willing to learn, no one can help you. If you are determined to learn, no one can stop you.- Zig Ziglar

Comment

I have wanted to go to that shop, and now I'm sad I won't be able to. It seems like such a nice one!
            pat.

No rain....no rainbows!

sigpic

If you can't be nice.....BE QUIET!

Comment

So disappointing to hear this. These wonderful shops will be missed sorely. I love the convenience of internet sales at time but I know if a business does not include this it can lead to no one coming in the doors. Nothing replaces, for me at least, the experience of exploring a quilt or fabric shop. So sorry to hear this.

Comment

This is sad news. I had wanted to go there again, but I'm not planning a trip to NYC until next spring at least.

Nancy
                Nancy

Psalm 126:3 The LORD has done great things for us, and we are filled with joy.

Comment

That is too bad. On a lighter note, you can go on a buying spree and get fabric bargain priced!
                  Blogging ahead.....research in quilting and sewing with a dab of cooking/recipes too.

https://myquiltprojects.wordpress.com/

https://thecookbookproject.wordpress.com/

Comment

Originally posted by Sylvia H View Post
                    When is it closing? I was hoping to get there on one of my visits to my daughter and her family. With my bad back, I don't think I can do all the walking needed to get around Manhatten, though. But, if I had the chance to get there before it closed, I would certainly try.
                    It is closing in October. No date set. They are going to focus on selling their New York themed fabric and growing that line.

Comment

Originally posted by Sylvia H View Post
                      I think the closing is scheduled for October.

Yes, lots of old fave shops and restaurants are closing in Manhattan and Brooklyn, probably in the other boroughs also, century old buildings being torn down and replaced with big squares. Rents are sky high too.

Comment

My favorite quilt shop! I'm so sad about it. I took my first quilt classes there. The best batiks collection around, and the prices were reasonable, especially when you consider that it's located in NYC.

Comment

My last visit there was a short one as parking was a big problem so DH double parked, rode around a block or two and then double parked again so I just looked and felt some fabrics and left. I liked receiving their newsletters even though I never took any of their many workshops.

Comment

Without getting into pointing fingers and political stuff, I think a lot of NY is being bought by foreign investors who are putting up high rise luxury apartments. (This is coming from an Ozark Hillbilly who has never been to NYC )
                            I am so sorry for the loss of another icon.

Comment

There's a lovely new quilt shop in Morris County, NJ, Sew Jersey. Bright, lovely space with excellent parking. I think they could use more fabrics, but they just opened in April so they're adding mor goodies all the time. Sell and repair sewing machines, too.

Comment

Working...
                              X