Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

How cool are these photos! Quilting in the old days!

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

How cool are these photos! Quilting in the old days!

http://oldphotoarchive.com/stories/q...eat-depression

During the Great Depression, sewing materials were conserved for clothing and repair; however, toward the end of the Depression, quilters brought out their tools and un-used squares and got to work. Quilting has always been used to pass on family stories and memories, but it also has a long tradition of being tied to acts of kindness and charity. After years of tattered clothing and poverty, those still down on their luck got great happiness and comfort out of receiving a new quilt.

We wanted to share a few photos of quilters at work from 1936-1941.
    Sherri

"Don't let someone else's ugly spoil your beautiful. " Thanks, Bubby!!!!!!

Re: How cool are these photos! Quilting in the old days!

Now THAT was a beautiful trip... Reminded me of the old cotton batting Gram used ONCE on one of her quilts. She got this large "bag" of wool given to her to use in her quilts. After working with the "stuffing" once.. she gave up and went to using old sheets, blankets and flannel inside her quilts... said she was still cleaning up the "wool" years later. That was back in the late 40's.

I now understand her problem seeing the commodity photos. We had one of those Quilting frames set up in our kitchen before I was a teen.. Mom made that frame and I often wondered what happened to it. You see I got to "help" make it. There were Quilting Bees in my past with all the Aunts and Sisters on my Mothers side of the family.
    Judy

Click HERE to find me and My imagination
    :icon_wave:

Comment

Wow! Great photos! We have it sooooo easy these days!
      I remember my grandmother telling me they wallpapered the walls with layers of old newspapers for insulation. And there was one picture that had walls of newspapers! Wow!
      Happy Quilting!

Comment

Loved the pictures! My friend directs plays and wants to do one called "The Quilt". I would be the one providing the quilts for it. These would be the designs we would use.

My daughter bought an old suitcase at an auction. A huge "Grandmother's Fan" quilt was in the suitcase! Another design I would be using in the play!

Comment

That's cool, Jean.....
          Sherri

Comment

Thanks for sharing this - I really enjoyed looking at those photos. A whole different perspective.

Comment

Loved the photos!!!
              Hard times, for sure. We have it so incredibly easy when compared to those days.

Sheep Farmer by day....sigpic....Quilter-in-Training by night
              The Farmmyfarm

Comment

I would love to know what happen to those quilts.

Comment

I know, sidesaddles...I would love to know if the quilts were handed down from generation to generation....
                  Sherri

Comment

Neat. Thank you for sharing the link to the photos.

Comment

Thank you for sharing those photos. What a fascinating piece of American history!!

Comment

And we keep on quilting.
                        Walk in peace with the Lord by your side.
                        Terry

Comment

This is just wonderful. I love quilting history, it always inspires me. We should always remember our past and appreciate all the hard work that went into those, mostly hand pieced works of art.
                          Gary,

"No regrets, only learning opportunities."

Comment

Those pics are fabulous! Thank you do much for sharing them with us...

Sandy from Cincinnati

AKA Kermit

Comment

They remind me of my Granny. She had her quilt frames in her living room, and would roll it up when we went to visit. She quilted for others as well. My mom said she charged to different prices, depending on how she quilted it. By the fan, and by the piece. I know what by the fan means ( I have seen many of her quilts, quilted with the baptist fan pattern)...not sure about by the piece, unless it was some kind of echo quilting, She is where I got my love of quilting, especially hand quilting from. I also found the Kern County CA, reference interesting, as that is where I was born. In Bakersfield.
                              Blankets wrap you in warmth, quilts wrap you in love

Marilyn......
                              sigpic

Comment

Working...
                              X