MSQC thread vs. ?

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

MSQC thread vs. ?

Okay, I got M* thread in my hot little hands! First impression is that is is very nice indeed. I was wondering if some thread hounds would want to do a little comparison between brands. If so, take a pic of M* vs. brand X and share it and your impression. Their product description reads suspiciously like Superior Threads, but as yet nobody knows who manufacturers it for them. I'd venture to guess it is, but possibly using a factory in a country other than Japan (pure conjecture!).

I twisted and rolled and shredded a length of it to test it, and it really is very good quality long staple cotton and has a wonderful twist. The only thing I've compared it to so far is ST Masterpiece, and it is not the same thread but the cotton does look extremely similar. It's a smidge thicker than the Masterpiece, I'd like to compare it to Aurifil next since that is even thinner. So M* is probably not ideal for fine appliqué work, though I wouldn't count it out without trying it. I'm starting to guess they intended it for binding, and maybe color matching FMQ and piecing. A really great all around quilting thread that matches M* quilting style.

I was just going to describe it a little more when I realized my pic of it is on my phone, oops! I shouldn't be left on the internet alone, haha! I'll post it when I get back to my sewing table where I left my phone. Meantime, anyone sew with it yet and how do you like it?

Re: MSQC thread vs. ?

I haven't ordered any ...... yet. But I'll be interested in seeing the comparisons. Thanks for the first review.

Comment

I have four spools of the M* thread now... One I ordered, and rhe other three were a DD... Haven't had a chance to try it yet... But, it looks and feels great... I'm putting it in my machine today...

Sandy from Cincinnati

AKA Kermit

Comment

I have 1 spool I bought to try. I will be sewing with it next week when I try my hand at making some fidget quilts. I have aurifil thread also so I can compare it. But I warn you I am not a thread snob and am just learning about all the diff weights/uses. In the past I sewed crafts and garments with basic variety of coats n clarks you can get at hobby lobby/walmart.

Comment

I'm not that "knowledgable" about thread…and trust my local quilt shop to let me know which threads I need to use for different applications. Is the new M* thread something that I could use as my bobbin thread when machine embroidering? Can I use it for piecing in the top and bobbin? Just so you understand where I'm coming from…I'm the type of person that if the pattern calls for a specific thread type and color number…I search high and low for that exact thread type. I hate to think of all the money I have invested in threads because I couldn't bring myself to compromise (or more to the point, didn't know how to compromise). Thanks!

Comment

I bought 4 spools of the M* 40 & 50 weight thread but haven't used them yet. Geez, what am I waiting for? I'd like to compare it to Joann's thread. And I bet you M* will be much better................
            Will let you know what I think.
            sigpicLinda :icon_wave:

Comment

Yesterday I got 3 spools of M* thread from the Deal of the Day offer a few weeks ago. I was surprised how much smaller the cones are than the Auriful (big spools), though even accounting for the difference in size it is a good buy. It is labeled #50 Quilting Thread. The Aurifil is not labeled as quilting thread, though they make a quilting thread. I am assuming I can use the M* thread just the same as I do the Aurifil #50for general sewing, but I would like some more experienced opinions. At what point should I consider #40? I am getting back into sewing after many years being away. So far I am working with cottons and making bags, pillows, pillowcases, etc. Generally, I have been using #50 thread and #14 needle.

Comment

I got the 3 spools on the DD. It's 50wt cotton and, in my opinion, an equivalent of Aurifil. These smaller MSQ cones hold 500 yds; the Aurifil small cones are about 1400 yds. but cost considerably more.

I used the MSQ thread on top and in the bobbin. It's very smooth and my stitches were nice and uniform. I did not have to fiddle with tension to get nice stitches and I tried different stitch lengths. It lends itself nicely to FMQ, if you don't need thread definition. If I want definition, I'll use a bit heavier thread. It also works well in backtracking areas of FMQ as in feathers, etc. The stitches sink into the fabric and you hardly notice the double lines of thread in those type of patterns.

Bottom line: I like it and it's very reasonable in cost.

Comment

I'm no thread expert or very particular about my thread. I need good value, but I also need thread that lets me see happily instead of fussing with tech issues, hence I end up using Superior and Aurifil. I have very little, and mostly buy what I call shadow gray because it works with nearly everything. I ventured into taupe this year, I'm getting very daring! The M* spool is a really nice size, I wonder if they'll someday offer a larger spool. They did say somewhere that it worked well for longarming except you'd need to change the spool often.

Well, for some reason it keeps telling me the pic upload failed. I'll have to see if maybe my file size is too big, I took them with my new phone.

Interestingly enough, the Superior Masterpiece is fuzzy and has strands sticking out of the twist quite often while the M* is free of that. I did a test spot of FMQ and really liked the result - doesn't sink in like Aurifil 50wt and doesn't stand out like a 40wt poly, it's juuuuust right. If I get a little sew time tomorrow I'll show how it looks on the mug rug I'm finishing.

Comment

Teeny bit of FMQ with M* thread. Color is Rock Blue. Crossed my fingers that the color would match a solid Essex Looks linen I'm using in a bag, and it's perfect. Works well on this blue batik as well. In some lights it looks very gray and sometimes paler or darker - sort of a shadowy chameleon blue.
                    image.jpg

Top thread is Superior Masterpiece, it's surprisingly fuzzy. Bottom thread is M* Ivory. I've got a better pic of the thread, this I did at night with hot lights so I could see the fuzzies better.

image.jpg
                    Attached Files

Comment

I am currently using the M* thread that I rec'd from the DD last week, and it seems to be fine working fine in my Brother sewing machine. To the touch it feels a bit stronger, harder, and thicker than my Aurifll. And like the pics above show, it is not as fuzzy as the other threads. It is a thread that I can add to my list of threads-I-like. Maybe because it's not as fuzzy, it won't fuzz up the bobbin case much. Time will tell.

Sheep Farmer by day....sigpic....Quilter-in-Training by night
                      The Farmmyfarm

Comment

Got it, used it, LOVE IT!!!!!!!!!!!. I am in no way close to knowing the dtails of threads, but i know what works for me. MSQC is awesome. Gave a spool to MIL who is an expert seamstress and she asked who made it because she wants more LOL.
                        Gary,

"No regrets, only learning opportunities."

Comment

It is great to hear all these favorable comments. I will definitely order some with my next fabric order.
                          If you are not willing to learn, no one can help you. If you are determined to learn, no one can stop you.- Zig Ziglar

Comment

I bought some as part of DD so it was a great value. I saw this ? last week but hadn't used it then. I just finished a quilt and used it when I finished the Gutterman spool (cotton) from LQS. It was finer, but not as strong. It's good for piecing and I used it for straight line quilting and it worked fine. When I was basting the edges before attaching binding, I tried to go pretty fast and it broke 3 times. I slowed down and it worked without further breakage. I also attached the binding with it with no further issues.
                            Last edited by cathym; August 9, 2016, 07:17 PM.

Comment

Thanks for the feedback. I have plenty of thread right now but would like to try it in the future.

Comment

Working...
                              X