Shrinking fabric

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Shrinking fabric

I decided to wash my layer cake and charm pack fabric because there was a lot of bright reds. I was worried about the color running on to the white that was beside it..I hand washed, air dried. Both squares changed in size. Now I have to cut them all down so they are perfect squares again. Any way to avoid this problem. I know some say never wash precuts, but the RED had me worried.

Re: Shrinking fabric

Don't cut the ones you didn't wash, because they will shrink later. Not a good idea to pre-wash just part of the fabric for a quilt.

Comment

I forgot to say that I went ahead and washed all fabric.

Comment

Did you press them? Maybe that would help.

Comment

I never wash precuts. I just make the quilt and then run it through the wash using color catchers when I'm done. If it's big, I sometimes use 2-3 color catchers. I think the only thing you can do now is to iron them and then cut them all down to the smallest block - 4.5" or whatever it happens to be.
          Cindy

Comment

Most of the fabrics today are color fast. Pre-cuts should not be washed. I don't pre-wash any of my fabrics. I've not had any problems.

Comment

I don't think I have prewashed anything in the past 20 years. No problems either.

Comment

The cheaper the fabric, the more it will shrink.
                All fabric should be washed before using in a quilt.
                Fabrics will have excess dye and some shrinkage.
                I never buy pre cuts because they can't be washed
                correctly.

Comment

20 years ago, that was true. Not so much any more, except with cheap fabrics and batiks. And why would you go to all the work of making a quilt and use cheap fabrics?

Comment

Amen Sister! Sometimes I cringe at the cost of the fabric I'm using in my quilts…but then I remind myself, if I'm going to put all those hours into making it…and I want it to be an heirloom, I'm not going to use cheap fabric. It is worth the extra $$ up front…in my humble opinion.

Comment

Working...
                    X