Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

A quilters craving

https://myquiltprojects.wordpress.com/

I would like to know your thoughts on this read.
    Blogging ahead.....research in quilting and sewing with a dab of cooking/recipes too.

https://thecookbookproject.wordpress.com/

Re: A quilters craving

I only buy for current project. I also have other creative outlets. I don't drool over quilting per se. It's fun and I enjoy what I'm doing but not to the extent that it's my whole life;

Comment

I think it is just her describing her own condition.
      I tend to get a bit obsessive with any new creative project I start. But it eases off as time passes. I just hope I haven't invested too much $$ into a project when the shiny wears off.
      With fabric, if I get tired of making quilts, there's always bags, doll clothes, pillowcases, etc. But I have boxes of beads and wire and tools from my jewelry phase, bags of yarn and crochet thread and needles from that crochet phase, oil and acrylic paints, brushes and canvases from my "artiste" phase........You get the picture.

Comment

Well, I read it and either the blogger doesn't express herself well or she seems to be comparing quilters to druggies. We all know that we have this little "addiction" but loving to touch and feel fabric feels pretty wholesome to me. It doesn't affect our thinking, our body or our socialization in a negative way. It makes us loving and giving and creative. It gives us purpose and generousity. It gives us a conversation starter, a hobby, and a sense of purpose. Not many hobbies can rate that highly. So, dream, touch, feel, buy (if you have funds and space) , sew, create and give. Do it all in the name of goodness and not greed. Learn from your mistakes and master something that makes your heart fill with joy.
        Walk in peace with the Lord by your side.
        Terry

Comment

I read it and got a chuckle...grammaterry, very well said!
          A day patched with quilting Seldom unravels Sharon

Comment

Originally posted by grammaterry View Post
            Well, I read it and either the blogger doesn't express herself well or she seems to be comparing quilters to druggies. We all know that we have this little "addiction" but loving to touch and feel fabric feels pretty wholesome to me. It doesn't affect our thinking, our body or our socialization in a negative way. It makes us loving and giving and creative. It gives us purpose and generousity. It gives us a conversation starter, a hobby, and a sense of purpose. Not many hobbies can rate that highly. So, dream, touch, feel, buy (if you have funds and space) , sew, create and give. Do it all in the name of goodness and not greed. Learn from your mistakes and master something that makes your heart fill with joy.
            Well said, quilting this past year has saved me from insanity! There has been a lot things happening in our lives this year, sitting down at my sewing machine has been my comfort station!
            Carrie

I cut it twice and it was still too short!

Comment

I couldn't find much that I agreed with.

I fully intend on finishing every project - it's just that some of them get set aside for lengths of time.

I don't see my 'craving' coming and leaving. I do go in slumps but they are short-lived and I don't look around and clean up my space.

I don't see it as narcissistic either.

I DO see where quilting could be a drug. I prefer to call it quilt therapy.

Interesting perspective though. My experience has been very different.

Comment

Grammaterry.... I think you expressed what most if us would say if asked about how we feel about our hobby...

I thunk having a creative outlet brings out the goodness in people..... Quilter's are known to be very giving people.... I know a woman who easily donates 30-50 charity quilts every year.... Most of us enjoy gifting friends, family, and charities with our quilts... We know the comfort a quilt can bring...

I'm currently renewing my interest in knitting (I suck at it), and crocheting... Hats, scarves, afghans, and baby blankets... Easy stuff, but fun.... At the same time, I want to work on perfecting my Biig Stitch.

Quilting, crafts, Fuber arts... It's all creative, and somehow soothing to the soul...

Sandy from Cincinnati

AKA Kermit

Comment

Grammaterry, you are so right. But how many of us could give it up cold turkey? I don't think I could just walk away from it, it would naw at my craw!
                  I think the writer was trying to express passion and using the comparison of addiction.
                  Blogging ahead.....research in quilting and sewing with a dab of cooking/recipes too.

Comment

Not much in that blog post I agreed with. I really resent the puritanical undertone of this blogger. That there is something "naughty" about us when our thoughts stray (which is completely normal) or we daydream about projects we might like to tackle. The whole piece seems to imply that doing a hobby just for pleasure is going to lead you into bad behavior. I'm with grammaterry. Quilters are incredibly generous to many charities, and when new problems arise in our country, there will be a quilting group right there finding a way to give help and comfort. To harken back to her post about the antique quilt - we are very fortunate in many ways to live in a mechanical and technological age where we don't have to produce every single thing we own ourselves because we have no funds to purchase them. There is much to admire about something completely self-generated, but it's done today because the person wishes to, not because we have to. At least in this country. It's absolutely fine to have pastimes we enjoy and that fill our open hours and our dreams. Notice I did not say idle hours. That's another phrase with puritanical roots. It's fine to want the tools and materials to fulfill those dreams, and very satisfying aesthetically as well. \

As a retired health professional, I also resent all this "addiction" talk. Generally the person who uses that word either means it to be humorous or doesn't understand what the term means. And probably has had little exposure to actual real life addicts and how they live and what they do to others. I resent that they trivialize a terrible condition that destroys individuals and families.

It's sloppy thinking and way way too puritanical for my taste. I worked extremely hard from when I was 14 (my dad in a terrible accident at work) to retirement age. I have every right to do exactly as I please with my time and my funds. As I did with my open time when my son was little and we found fun activities to do together that we both could enjoy. He learned the great gift that is a hobby and I am glad, because that's a sign of mental health, not a sign of mental illness.

(climbing down off high horse now, sorry in advance if I offended anyone)

Comment

Originally posted by Midge View Post
                      Not much in that blog post I agreed with. I really resent the puritanical undertone of this blogger. That there is something "naughty" about us when our thoughts stray (which is completely normal) or we daydream about projects we might like to tackle. The whole piece seems to imply that doing a hobby just for pleasure is going to lead you into bad behavior.
                      I also picked up the implication that there's something wrong with investing so much money in a hobby, especially if you're buying for a project on a whim. It's like the author is saying that quilters can often spend money on fabric they want or a project they're inspired by to scratch some kind of hedonist itch:
                      Cravings of a pregnant woman are very similar to the cravings of a quilter. You are hungry for it, it may not sound or look good, but you must. And then during this gratification, it is as if your mind is saying “mmmmmmmmm, this is just what I needed”. As quickly as it comes, it may leave.
                      There can be an issue when fabric loses its "shiny" quicker than you can turn it into a finished object. This is something I experienced when I started knitting. I would often abandon larger projects when my desire for the finished object wasn't balanced with the enjoyment of making that object. Only later on - and I am discovering this with quilting, too - did I start to look at future projects and question "I like the way this looks, but is it fun to make?" Objects made with miles of stockinette stitch or hundreds of HSTs may look like something I would buy, but now I know they're awfully boring to actually put together.

Comment

It's possible the writer feels guilty about doing something they enjoy.
                        I don't. I have a UFO on my table, a VSM [for parts] in my car, a package of fabric in the mail on it's way to me, and I don't feel guilty on little bit. When I get my day off, I will be playing with my Kenny 158, top stitching the new kitchen curtains, and dreaming up my next project. I deserve to enjoy it. At the end of the day, I will sit down with hubby and eat and watch movies. Then later we'll go to bed and sleep under a quilt I made in a room with curtains I made. I am pretty sure he won't be calling me selfish.
                        Pieced By Me! :icon_wave:

Pre-cut Yardage Chart

Comment

Originally posted by PrettyCurious View Post
                          It's possible the writer feels guilty about doing something they enjoy.
                          That could be. In a lot of other quilting and crafting forums I read, there's almost always a thread or two about using up stash or declaring not to buy more material for a month or a year. So this blogger isn't alone at all in how she feels about the buying part of having any hobby. It does make me feel a little foolish and out of control when I've got so much stuff it's in piles on every flat surface, so much so that it makes it difficult to make space to actually use these things. That's why I'm working on optimizing the storage space I have and letting go of things I'll never use.

A lot of people here have a much more positive attitude toward the "stuff" part of the hobby. It's refreshing to read, and maybe one day I'll get there.

Comment

I agree with all the sentiments raised. Creating is part of who I am, whether it is sewing, knitting, card making, crochet or cross stitch. And incidentally nearly all of what I make goes to others, either charity, family or friends. I have fun especially when I give something to my family who always appreciated the time and thought gone into the gift!!
                            If we are not supposed to have a hobby which relaxes the mind and warms our heart, we would be very dull people indeed.
                            There, better get off MY soapbox now!!

Comment

I appreciate your opinions as I did ask for them but I guess I was dishonest by not telling you that I wrote that article. I am uncertain of your ages but I have small children late in life and those demands keep me from doing what I want to do. Because I am the adult and pay the bills, sometimes family suffers because of my hobby. I think you could safely say I am torn to the point of being narcissistic or not.I guess I am somewhat puritanical if you are comparing me to others, but when I make the comparision of myself I think I am right where I need to be. Puritanical is not a bad thing, but may be a bad thing for you. I am ok with that. Are you?
                              I have added a rebutle to this thread and here is it for you to read. https://myquiltprojects.wordpress.com/ I appologize for the emotions that toyed with you as it was my perspective and only my perspective about this world as I see it. It is obvious you see it differently.

Comment

Working...
                              X