• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• snippet
    replied
    Re: Defying the quilt police

Originally posted by shirleyknot View Post
    I did not see YOU mentioned at ALL in her post. In fact, she even stated it wasn't even from this board. So why are you so twisted about it? Guilty conscience?
    True. But no guilty conscience here.

Leave a comment:

• kensington
    replied

Guilty conscience?
    Seriously?

Leave a comment:

• Hulamoon
    replied

This is the second time within the last two weeks someone has brought that other board over here. I could care less. And the QP thing is like beating a dead rock.

Leave a comment:

• shirleyknot
    replied

Originally posted by snippet View Post
    I haven't read these type of posts when giving advice to newbies. I find this forum really varied in the methods, colors, and patterns we use. I like reading all the different advice. I really haven't seen anyone get upset or demand someone do it a specific way.

Because I don't appreciate being called names - like Quilt Police (which is the title the OP used in this thread)
    I don't get offended when someone goes with a different border color or chooses to use a different thread or pattern. I give my advice based on my experience and knowledge. I shrug it off and move on.
    She's calling me QP when I give advice that steers the OP from doing something different? She's the one who is bent.
    I did not see YOU mentioned at ALL in her post. In fact, she even stated it wasn't even from this board. So why are you so twisted about it? Guilty conscience?

Leave a comment:

• shirleyknot
    replied

I know, right?

Leave a comment:

• SisterDi
    replied

Have mercy.

A low post count member who never singled anyone out is accused of singling someone out.

Very friendly and welcoming.

Leave a comment:

• snippet
    replied

And many of those "helpful people" are downright rude with their "you have to's" and "this way or else's". Nothing wrong with experimenting either.
    I haven't read these type of posts when giving advice to newbies. I find this forum really varied in the methods, colors, and patterns we use. I like reading all the different advice. I really haven't seen anyone get upset or demand someone do it a specific way.

Agreed. Why not just allow everyone to have their own opinions and not get bent about it?
    Because I don't appreciate being called names - like Quilt Police (which is the title the OP used in this thread)
    I don't get offended when someone goes with a different border color or chooses to use a different thread or pattern. I give my advice based on my experience and knowledge. I shrug it off and move on.
    She's calling me QP when I give advice that steers the OP from doing something different? She's the one who is bent.

Leave a comment:

• Cool Breeze Quilter
    replied

BeckyHatcher, I agree there are so many rules for us to follow in life it is fun and freeing to enjoy the quilting process. I usually end up changing my mind at least once (usually more) from when the quilt starts to when it's finished. Along the way I've made my share of mistakes and also learned as I went.

Leave a comment:

• tsladaritz
    replied

I am happy to follow the rules but I always want to know why and how? So I do tend to test the 'rule police'. LOL My teacher fussed at me in my first class to not 'whack it off' but make it line up correctly. LOL She was right of course, but it became our joke that I was the class person who wanted to know why or I would make up my own way. ;-)

Leave a comment:

• easyquilts
    replied

Originally posted by BeckyHatcher View Post
    Jenny does do some things the unconventional way, but WOW has she turned some people on to quilting! Because she makes you believe that you CAN do it, that making a quilt doesn't have to take forever, and she is so gloriously encouraging. When I see a new quilter in a store I want to just hug them and say, "You are going to have so much fun!"
    You said it.... Jenny has ushered hundreds of new Quilter's into our world! I know she brought me bac....after nearly a year of nit even touching my sewing machine.... She has a very special...and rare gift..... She's a natural teacher.....and quite willing to laugh at herself... She has encouraged us alll.... Telling us that yes...we can make pretty quilts.... We can do it... Jenny and precuts were made for each other....and we have all benefitted....

Leave a comment:

• shirleyknot
    replied

Agreed. Why not just allow everyone to have their own opinions and not get bent about it?

Leave a comment:

• easyquilts
    replied

Originally posted by Monique View Post
    There are NO quilt police. We all do it differently and can basically come up the same result. (Makes sense?)

The only people who really care are those that serve as judges in quilt shows, and those who enter them... The rest of us are free to do whatever we want to do, with our quilts....and that's the fun of it...

Leave a comment:

• kensington
    replied

Originally posted by snippet View Post
    It's not about rule followers and rule benders.

When a new person comes to the forum and asks a question, we WANT them to love quilting as much as we do. So we give advice that will hopefully make the quilt easy to make and look great too. So often the advice will be a little more rule-following. We don't want a new quilter to give up because the quilt was too difficult or her methods were a little more time consuming or difficult to understand.

I am trying real hard not to be angry, because I don't see this as a quilting police thing. If someone asks for help, we offer it. We don't say you have to do it this way or that. And we don't offer advice when it isn't asked for either - that's police action to me.
    I agree, if you seek advice that's what you will get. If not... life goes on. It seems to me the QP in this situation is the OP who is judging those who gave advice trying to help a new quilter. Why not tell them whom offended you there, rather than post it here dragging others into it? Just sayin...

Leave a comment:

• Sylvia H
    replied

Yes, experience is a great teacher. One of the things I have learned from experience is to seek the knowledge of those who have more experience than me. I can chose to take their advice, or not. If their advice helps me to avoid making their mistakes, then all the better for me - I will definitely be making my own mistakes regardless of their advice. I am glad that I don't have to learn everything from experience!

In our quilting world, there is definitely room for both the tried and true and the experimental.

Leave a comment:

• shirleyknot
    replied

All of the above, and yes, they translate well. And we aren't afraid to tackle curves and Y-seams either.

Leave a comment:

Working...
X