This topic is closed.
X
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Re: Defying the quilt police

I asked an artist friend years ago why she kept taking classes, when she could spend that time on her own and just paint, and figure out as she goes.

She said "I want to understand the rules so when I break them I do a **** good job of it."

Comment

Big secret! The Quilt Police are imaginary creatures!

Unless anyone has real handcuffs, you don't have to give them a second thought! And maybe not even then, anyone can buy those things on the internet now LOL!

I'll take any and every input I can, I digest it and figure what to use and whom to thank. And ignore It's so true, people's intentions can be utterly misread in print; a missed smile, tone of voice, etc. misrepresents all of us so often in our onscreen life!

Comment

I can see why she'd feel angry. The OP's post was almost offensive (calling them Quilt Police?) to people who were only trying to help a beginner quilter. I don't think she meant to be offensive, she was just encouraging to those who like to think outside the box. But please don't knock the people who try to help beginners who don't know what they don't know. There are a lot of beginners who try something; no one tells them it might be easier this way or that; they spend a lot of money on a project that doesn't turn out the way they wanted it to, and they get frustrated and discouraged. Nothing wrong with someone telling them a different way might be better, and usually the most common way of doing something IS the easiest way.
        Last edited by Peggi; August 4, 2016, 09:52 PM.

Comment

I've just learn a new way to make the LeMoine Star without Y seams. Loved it so much I cut out 6 more blocks... It's amazing how easy it became.. (altho I am wasting more fabric).
          AND I've been sewing/quilting for over 5 years now. So there is always something NEW to learn. I just take the Helping Hints in a way that means "others just want to help".
          Judy

Click HERE to find me and My imagination
          :icon_wave:

Comment

I revise most quilt patterns I attempt...just see where my imagination takes me; it does add experience! Although, I wish I could be more diligent about taking notes and pics while I go rouge with my quilting!
            Sherri

"Don't let someone else's ugly spoil your beautiful. " Thanks, Bubby!!!!!!

Comment

Some would be angry since I HATE videos. Flash is forbidden on my computer.

I'd far rather read instructions

Comment

Originally posted by Peggi View Post
                I can see why she'd feel angry. The OP's post was almost offensive (calling them Quilt Police?) to people who were only trying to help a beginner quilter. I don't think she meant to be offensive, she was just encouraging to those who like to think outside the box. But please don't knock the people who try to help beginners who don't know what they don't know. There are a lot of beginners who try something; no one tells them it might be easier this way or that; they spend a lot of money on a project that doesn't turn out the way they wanted it to, and they get frustrated and discouraged. Nothing wrong with someone telling them a different way might be better, and usually the most common way of doing something IS the easiest way.
                And many of those "helpful people" are downright rude with their "you have to's" and "this way or else's". Nothing wrong with experimenting either.

Comment

General rules have been found to be best by
                  quilters in the past. Although a new quilter will
                  want to try another nethod. She is not aware of
                  the reason certain methods are preferred.
                  Tried methods will result in a great quilt.
                  A new quilter will realize too late her methods
                  didn't work as well as she thought, and she
                  may end up with a poor quality quilt.
                  Tried and true methods are there for a reason
                  and passed on to new quilters because they
                  give the best results are great quilts.

Comment

Many teachers have told me you learn by experience, trial and error. Mistakes are only learning experiences. If no one ever tried something different, where would your "methods" be?

Comment

The new quilter could be a whiz at sewing clothes, making slipcovers, tailoring ( which is an art)
                      If any of those methods work for quilting, why not?

Comment

All of the above, and yes, they translate well. And we aren't afraid to tackle curves and Y-seams either.

Comment

Yes, experience is a great teacher. One of the things I have learned from experience is to seek the knowledge of those who have more experience than me. I can chose to take their advice, or not. If their advice helps me to avoid making their mistakes, then all the better for me - I will definitely be making my own mistakes regardless of their advice. I am glad that I don't have to learn everything from experience!

In our quilting world, there is definitely room for both the tried and true and the experimental.
                          If you are not willing to learn, no one can help you. If you are determined to learn, no one can stop you.- Zig Ziglar

Comment

Originally posted by snippet View Post
                            It's not about rule followers and rule benders.

When a new person comes to the forum and asks a question, we WANT them to love quilting as much as we do. So we give advice that will hopefully make the quilt easy to make and look great too. So often the advice will be a little more rule-following. We don't want a new quilter to give up because the quilt was too difficult or her methods were a little more time consuming or difficult to understand.

I am trying real hard not to be angry, because I don't see this as a quilting police thing. If someone asks for help, we offer it. We don't say you have to do it this way or that. And we don't offer advice when it isn't asked for either - that's police action to me.
                            I agree, if you seek advice that's what you will get. If not... life goes on. It seems to me the QP in this situation is the OP who is judging those who gave advice trying to help a new quilter. Why not tell them whom offended you there, rather than post it here dragging others into it? Just sayin...

Comment

Originally posted by Monique View Post
                              There are NO quilt police. We all do it differently and can basically come up the same result. (Makes sense?)

The only people who really care are those that serve as judges in quilt shows, and those who enter them... The rest of us are free to do whatever we want to do, with our quilts....and that's the fun of it...

Sandy from Cincinnati

AKA Kermit

Comment

Agreed. Why not just allow everyone to have their own opinions and not get bent about it?

Comment

Working...
                                X