This topic is closed.
X
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Defying the quilt police

I was reading a forum post (not MQC) where a new quilter asked a question about how to assemble some blocks. The answers seemed to be leaning towards telling her why her idea wouldn't work, why she should do it the conventional way, yadda yadda. Well, yes, her idea will work but will just be a bit more fiddly when she is at the machine. But how exciting is it to have an idea and carry it out to completion! The responses were all about bias and stretching, and I'm thinking "just have fun, sister, have fun!!!" That's why we quilt! I guess in all areas of life there are rule followers and rule benders. Sometimes not knowing the proper, acceptable way to do things results in a lot of fun. Sometimes it fills the trash can, too! But learning comes from both the successes and the failures. So glad that we don't all have to do it the same way or fail the class. I'm continually amazed at the innovation and originality that comes from people thinking outside the box. Carry on, rule benders, you are my heroes!

Re: Defying the quilt police

What works for some, might be difficult for others. Jenny Doan raised quite a few eyebrows when she showed her preferred method for making half square triangles by sewing around the edges and then cutting on the diagonal twice to make four units. Meaning that the edges would be bias. All people have to remember is to not tug on the edges. Jenny comes from a steamstress background and they work with bias all the time. Some don't like pressing seams open. Clothes almost always have seams pressed open and those seams are under stress. Leah Day presses seams open. Her recommendations is to just shorten your stitch length.

Sometimes we just have to think outside the box.
    Vonnie

Comment

I used to be a clothing designer. I STILL make my own rules.

Comment

I agree with everyone. People's abilities and confidence levels are so different. A true beginner might need to stick to instructions pretty closely for their first few blocks anyway. I have been sewing for so long that I can't remember what it feels like to not have a basic knowledge of how to join a seam or create a block without cutting off points or just so many things we all know how to do bc we have done it so many times that we are able to do it practically without thinking. But not following rules is so freeing and so fun and can result in some great surprises.

Comment

Hi Becky, guess I didn't welcome you to the forum, so it's nice to see you post a comment. I get you about rule followers and rule benders. I've only been quilting for 2 years, but my sewing history goes back to my early teens, so I knew many principles that quilters entirely new to sewing might not yet know. So while I wouldn't have asked about that issue, perhaps this questioner is newer to sewing and needs more general knowledge about it. I am now more drawn to modern and improvisational quilting and though my efforts might not satisfy me yet, I'm learning on my own and it's a lot of fun for me. So yes, yay for rule benders. But one more thing. So often communication on the internet goes horribly wrong. What is meant to be informational can come across as preachy. and What is meant be a 'devil's advocate' type statement can come across as very confrontational. It's hard to strike the right note when you can't hear the words and see the body language of the speaker. But you know the board you are speaking about and I don't. Perhaps only orthodoxy is well-received on that board. I think you will find that this board is pretty accepting and glad to hear alternative ideas.

Comment

Jenny does do some things the unconventional way, but WOW has she turned some people on to quilting! Because she makes you believe that you CAN do it, that making a quilt doesn't have to take forever, and she is so gloriously encouraging. When I see a new quilter in a store I want to just hug them and say, "You are going to have so much fun!"

Comment

We are our own quilt police unfortunately. I agree that the way one does something isn't necessarily the way everyone should do it. I might try it the way someone suggests but then I may do it differently the next time. A lady at my hsir salon crocheted several afghans for her grands. Wow were they ever beautiful! I told her I tried to crochet but couldn't master it. Mentioned I quilted & she said she wanted to learn how to do that. So my thought is what floats one person's boat may lead to someone else learning something new.

Gina

Comment

I applaud the rule benders and those who blaze their own trail! When I do that, I usually just try it out to see if it works before asking for advice. If it works, I share my idea. If it doesn't then to the scrap bin it goes and nobody hears about it.

I would say, most of us here like to steer newbies away from getting in over their heads, so we may have experienced similar type procedures with not so good results. It's not that we are " quilt police" but just want to say that experience has taught us that a certain technique may not result in a good outcome. We all want our quilts to turn out nice, flat seams, square corners, points intact, etc. But each quilt is a unique creation. Jenny always says " Finished is better than perfect". I like that! Unless you are entering your quilt in a judged competition, i say experiment and try out new ideas. There really aren't quilt police here on this forum!

Comment

It's not about rule followers and rule benders.

When a new person comes to the forum and asks a question, we WANT them to love quilting as much as we do. So we give advice that will hopefully make the quilt easy to make and look great too. So often the advice will be a little more rule-following. We don't want a new quilter to give up because the quilt was too difficult or her methods were a little more time consuming or difficult to understand.

I am trying real hard not to be angry, because I don't see this as a quilting police thing. If someone asks for help, we offer it. We don't say you have to do it this way or that. And we don't offer advice when it isn't asked for either - that's police action to me.

Comment

Why on earth would you be angry?

Comment

Originally posted by shirleyknot View Post
                      Why on earth would you be angry?
                      My thought also

Comment

I find great joy in NOT doing it like everybody else. That's why I don't like kits. Often I'll buy a pattern if its offered separately. I prefer to know at least fairly definitively that no one else is going to pick a particular piece of fabric and sew to another like I will. Diversity and individuality is what makes the world go around. No tolerance for quilt police here.

Comment

There are NO quilt police. We all do it differently and can basically come up the same result. (Makes sense?)
                          Blessed are the children of the piecemakers for they shall inherit the quilts!

Comment

Beginners use the rules. As one gains experience, those rules become guidelines. Then, one day, we let go and ride the roller coaster all the way without hands. Yipeeee!
                            Just love everyone. I'll sort them out later. -God

Comment

Amen, if your not having fun and stich counting, you should not be quilting.
                              Gary,

"No regrets, only learning opportunities."

Comment

Working...
                              X