Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

Best way to store baby quilts long term?

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Best way to store baby quilts long term?

Hello!

Many of the quilts I'm making are baby quilts for my daughter's children. Of course, she is only 23 and not married yet so I've no idea how long I'll store them until they are needed.

Would you wash and iron them before storing them? Any reason not to store them in airtight plastic bags? Is there some awesome way to store them that I don't know about?

I found this site http://www.quiltstudy.org/about/care.html but I'm hoping it is overkill. One thing that struck me though, is that cedar chests emit "volatile, acidic oils" that can damage your fabric. Who knew? Anyway, hopefully the baby quilts will be stored only for five or ten years. How would you store them?

Thanks for your help.

Jeannette

Re: Best way to store baby quilts long term?

I usually roll them up and put them in a pillowcase. They should be taken out and aired now and then, though, then re-rolled.

Comment

I just saw these this morning.
      https://www.missouriquiltco.com/shop...tra-large-size
      🌺 Lorie

Comment

Mine are folded and loosely packed in plastic totes. Some have been in there quite a while but I take them out and refold/arrange them occasionally. Also, totes are taken to my kids houses when they are expecting so they can pick out whatever they want. That keeps them aired and refolded, too. At last count I think I had 24+ ahead(while the potential is there, I doubt I will have that many GKs)
        “What we do for ourselves dies with us. What we do for others and the world, is and remains immortal.”

― Albert Pine

Comment

theres always the GGK to deal with. I have 4 of those now.

Comment

Originally posted by shirleyknot View Post
            ME TOO - Working on finishing touches for DGGS #6. Also stockpile of baby quilts are needed for the grandkids of my brother and sisters.

Comment

I wonder if putting a dryer sheet between the loosely rolled pillow cases, would help them , smell fresher. I put dryer sheets in my draws and storage.

....Bee
              The footprint's in the sand are not mine, but is that of the Lord's, who has been carrying me....

~~♡sigpic
              ~~~~Sewn By Bee

Comment

I am making baby quilts for my young grand daughters.
                I store them rolled up and stored in a cotton pillowcase.
                Never store in a plastic bag or plastic container.
                Cotton must be able to breath.
                Refolding occasionally may prevent fold marks.

Comment

Originally posted by shirleyknot View Post
                  Yeah, I told DDs when I'm gone it's their job to keep passing them out to the next generation. They are all quilters too so there will be an abundance of quilts in this family
                  “What we do for ourselves dies with us. What we do for others and the world, is and remains immortal.”

― Albert Pine

Comment

Fold them in the bias and put in a storage tote. Set a date every year to get out the storage tote and refold all the quilts inside. Tape that date onto the storage tote with an index card. If you use a calendar, write that date in your calendar to remind you.

When you refold the quilts, write the year onto that index card. That way you'll know when you refolded and when it needs to be done next.

Folding on the bias helps to prevent permanent creases in the quilt. There's an article or video showing you how to do it. It's easy too.

Comment

I'm not so sure about the fabric softener sheets suggested. One time (a while ago) I heard that someone got a spot on their fabric that was from the dryer sheet. It was reported to be a kind of grease stain. I've been leery about that ever since.

Comment

I read that someone stored quilts by taking a quilt and laying it on a spare bed, then laying down a white bed sheet on top of the quilt and repeating this with another quilt and a white sheet and so on. I wondered if this would work long term and of course you need that extra bed. This is a really interesting thread because we all have extra quilts and I am curious to hear everyone's ideas

Comment

I agree, everyone has been giving really good ideas. Should I wash the quilts after I make them and before I store them? Or should I leave them as is?

Jeannette

Comment

They have skin oils and whatever in them from the handling. You really should was them.

Comment

For now I have my quilts, 6 total working on 2 more, hanging in my closet just waiting for this thread. Thank you for all the suggestions. I'm thinking maybe rolling them and store them in pillow cases would be the way for me to go.

I've made many quilts which were given to family members and friends and hope they are using them. When your hobby is making quilts what do you do with them all? Is there a stopping point?
                              sigpicLinda :icon_wave:

Comment

Working...
                              X