Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

What are your quilting challenges and how do you overcome them?

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Re: What are your quilting challenges and how do you overcome them?

Finding time has been a problem lately as I work full time and also love to read, garden and most recently picked up crocheting again which I haven't done for years. Another challenge is so many pretty patterns that I can't decide which one to try next thanks to Mo* Block magazine.

Comment

Color selection is a problem for me, too, but even more than that, sewing a consistent 1/4" seam is a real challenge! I have a quarter inch presser foot, and you would think that would do it, but I still manage to mess up. I tied a sticky tape thing and that helped some, but it went right over where my bobbin is, and every time I had to change the bobbin, I had to rip the thing up and then stick it down again. I have moved the needle position a couple of clicks to the right,, but I have to remember to do that every time I turn on the machine and I sometimes forget. Someday it will be consistent and I will have nice square blocks that measure up correctly. The day after that happens, I'll probably drop dead!
      Nancy

Comment

My challenge? The quilting part.

I have been hand quilting since 1992....so, this summer I decided to take the plunge. Of course, joining a quilt guild has helped immensely, having access to many "seasoned" women who have many years of quilting technique and knowledge under their belts. In June, I took a walking foot quilting class and the past two Saturdays (one more to go); I've been taking a free motion quilting class (for domestic sewing machine). I have learned so much! But, the key factor that I didn't seem to realize or be aware of?
        Practice for at least 30 minutes a day and warm up with FMQ before starting your sandwiched project!

It has made a considerable difference. I still need improvement, but trust me...it's a lot better than what it used to be!

FMQ white thread (648x800).jpgFMQ deark thread (571x800).jpg
        Sherri

"Don't let someone else's ugly spoil your beautiful. " Thanks, Bubby!!!!!!

Comment

I travel - A LOT! Since September 2015 I've been to Park Hills, KY; Chicago, IL; Hamilton, MO; back to Chicago; Jacksonville, NC; New Bern, NC; back to Jacksonville; Massanutten, VA; back to Jacksonville; Lawrenceburg, IN; currently in Chicago and now on my way back to Jacksonville. And in September is another 3-day trip from Jacksonville to Hamilton and then back to Chicago.

So my problem is deciding what to take with me ... and how to keep it all organized. Naturally, I take a sewing machine; rotary cutter and mat, possible patterns and Block issues; and everything else that you normally use. But loading and unloading the van is tiresome. I've been able to duplicate some of the tools that can stay in Chicago ... and that's been some relief ... but I still have to haul all the in-progress projects with me. I don't want to give up the travel so I'm avoiding the solution - which is to settle down and stay in one spot.

Comment

Time. Plain and simple. Sometimes it feels like you are wasting time quilting when you should be cleaning, but, oh, does that sewing time renew the spirit and improve the attitude! When I hear others refer to quilting as therapy, I totally agree!

Comment

Working...
            X