Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

What are your quilting challenges and how do you overcome them?

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Re: What are your quilting challenges and how do you overcome them?

Alright, all you color challenged ladies and gentlemen. Listen up. This is not hard. If you like florals...pick out florals that are all the same size...pinks, purples, greens, blues, yellows etc will all go together. Then pick out one color that you like in a solid or white. It will always work. If you want more modern, pick out dots or stripes but keep them in the same size range. Try the little florals and see if it doesn't get you moving on feeling confident, then you can move to other fabrics. One solid, one print and a white will get you there as well.
    success is walking from failure to failure with no loss of enthusiam
    Terry of NC

Comment

My hangup is also time and feeling well enough to see. I have a lot of arthritis in my body and it flares up when I sit and piece, or stand at my frame.
      Time to quilt can be rare as I still have two older kids at home and my dh, who works from home, so there is always a meal to make, a mess to clean or something! I do best when I have a class to go to and can finish or nearly finish, a top. No distractions or guilt that my house is a mess.!
      Thanks to the poster that gave hints about choosing fabric. I will try it! Gina

Comment

Fabric choice - not so much colors (I'm getting better with that and will use the little dots on the fabric info on the selvage to help me 'match') but I struggle with fabric patterns. I either put too many different things together and my eyes hurt or not enough and I think 'bleugh'. Eventually I will have my Goldilocks moment and it will be just right...
        Deciding how to quilt is still an uphill struggle but since what I really enjoy is the piecing, I am trying convincing myself that it's okay for my quilting to be more 'functional' than decorative if it means that I get the project finished so I can stand back and enjoy.
        Slainte!

Liz

:icon_pcnoob:

Comment

My biggest challenge is I don't have enough money to buy all those lovely things I'd like.
          https://forum.missouriquiltco.com/co.../icon_wave.gif
          Women are Angels. When someone break's our wings we will continue to fly-usually on a broomstick.We're flexible like that.

Comment

I don't think I have faced just one challenge. I am self taught. I took one beginning quilting class that lasted about 2 hours and one class that was beginning free motion. I had a time trying to figure out what thread , what needle for my sewing machine then what thread and needles for my mid arm and all the different bobbin threads. I have learned so much by watching Jenny's video's and reading this forum. There was a time when I was ready to throw all of it out the window and I would ask questions on this forum and almost immediately someone would help me. So thanks Jenny and forum members for making quilting a big part of my life.
            Teresa
            Pelham, Alabama
            War Eagle!!!

Comment

Oh groan...with me it has got to be finding enough time to settle down in the sewing room for a productive afternoon of sewing. I don't sew in the evenings as I'm tired, and I work part time so there is always chores etc to do first. I do try to keep one day a week for sewing but inevitably some other "thing" creeps into it! Yeah, and then there is colour selection...that can be a real challenge sometimes particularly when you are on a limited budget.

Comment

Originally posted by Carlie Wolf View Post
                My biggest challenge is I don't have enough money to buy all those lovely things I'd like.
                And THAT says it all!

Sandy from Cincinnati

AKA Kermit

Comment

"Alright, all you color challenged ladies and gentlemen. Listen up. This is not hard"

Yes Drill Sargeant, Yes!

LOL sorry, but your post made made me laugh as I visioned Gunner Sargeant lining us all up to do color drills.

Comment

I use lots of precuts... Thank you, Jenny...do fabric/color choices aren't that much of a problem.... However.... I procrastinate.. A lot.
                    Once a top is done, i keep putting off doing the rest.....sandwiching, spray basting, quilting... I'm off n another quilt.... I have a small stack of tops...just waiting to be made into real quilts....

Which leads me to the problem of finding backing.... It can be an expensive purchase, and my funds are very limited... Which leads me to ask.... Why don't fabric makers include more pretty backing fabrics in their lines? Makes sense to me....

Sandy from Cincinnati

AKA Kermit

Comment

Measuring
                      .....with low vision, is agravateing. ....nerve racking.....
                      The clear , non slip, CG rulers, and my Go Baby, has helped so much.
                      I can't stand to mess up any of my fabric......lol.

I'm love precuts, they help me too.

I love color ways. They help alot.
                      So now I got a 10" sq. So I can get other pieces and to them....stacks.
                      Measuring issue #2
                      Back problems,
                      Bending .......less, using an old heavy ironing board, and the Rotating Round table, has nice viable lines
                      to line up with.

After separating all the fabrics into color families,
                      Now , I can tell, the lights, and difference in hues, and I'm doing better. I still get confrontation to make sure......yep, call someone to look.

Taking pictures helps too, seeing if they are playing well together.

....Bee
                      The footprint's in the sand are not mine, but is that of the Lord's, who has been carrying me....

~~♡sigpic
                      ~~~~Sewn By Bee

Comment

My biggest challenge is in the quilting. Not so much the actual quilt but coming up with a design that I think will complement the piecing and that I can actually accomplish. I absolutely LOVE picking the fabrics and colors. I would recommend doing some reading on color theory or taking a class on color if you feel like you are challenged. An easy solution like some one else mentioned is using the colored dots that are printed on the selvedge. Find a print you love, or even one containing the colors you love, and just use those dots along the selvedge to find coordinating fabric. I have even purchased a focus fabric, thinking I would use it for the front, picking fabrics from the focus fabric, and then using that on the back instead.

Comment

Wow! I can identify with almost all of you! I tell myself that we all have the same amount of time--24 hours in a day--but i have finally admitted that I waste a lot of my time and others are much more productive with theirs. I too work part-time and when I get home I am tired and don't want to go into the sewing room because I know I am not careful when I am tired, and I can very easily mess up a block, or even more, a border or binding and risk messing up the whole quilt. So, w/working 3 days, that leaves 4---1 for laundry and cleaning; 1 for church and rest; the other 2 for all the other things that "need" to be done before the "fun things" can be started! Woo is me!! But, I will keep trying! Never give up making better choices and decisions!

Comment

My challenges are first making myself cut that pretty fabric, what if I make a mistake. Then staying motivated to complete the project. I find I have always worked better under pressure for every thing, so if there is no real deadline ( not self enforced) I could take f-o-r-e-v-e-r.
                            Kathy

Comment

Dottikins, You are too funny. I'm going to guess that my biggest challenge is prioritizing my time. I work full time, add on the commute, so basically don't sew or quilt much during the week. The one thing that does happen most of the time is quilting has a higher priority than housework.
                              Karen
                              Spring, TX

Comment

Originally posted by Carlie Wolf View Post
                                Me too! Too much fabric and not enough money!
                                Carrie

I cut it twice and it was still too short!

Comment

Working...
                                X