dramatic fabric

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

dramatic fabric

I came across a blog post that I know will appeal to some of you who are on a fabric diet. Enjoy!
    https://myquiltprojects.wordpress.co...amatic-fabric/
    Blogging ahead.....research in quilting and sewing with a dab of cooking/recipes too.

https://myquiltprojects.wordpress.com/

https://thecookbookproject.wordpress.com/

Re: dramatic fabric

Hmmmm, I have not been on in a while. Does this mean my fabric diet is working according to these recommendations? LOL

Comment

Nothing like reading a little bit of reality now and then. I am so grateful to have a creative granddaughter who will one day own all I have. Still I have been trying hard to stay out of buying mode

Great reading, thank you for sharing.
      Karen
      Life is short - Live everyday to the fullest

Comment

Hmmmmmmmmmmmmm
        Blessed are the children of the piecemakers for they shall inherit the quilts!

Comment

It's hard but I'm trying to avoid shopping. Right now my biggest fabric purchases are slated for something in particular so it won't get stored away. It's that darned Daily Deal that's hard to resist. When I see something I love being offered I often cave. It's like my finger is a strong magnet being pulled toward a metal object. It becomes a bit of an inner battle.

I have way too much fabric and it will probably be given to charity when I die. I'm fine with that.
          Goodbye Europe! Hello California! Home sweet home.

Comment

#3 (Do not purchase fabric for future projects especially if you have more than one project going.) and #4 (Finish a project before moving on to the next project.) These are my downfalls.

I do purchase material for future projects. When I do, it is usually because I believe that the material may not be available when I have time to do the project. I have two kits, one for a wall hanging, one for a baby quilt, that will not be available when I can finally make them. Both of these kits cannot be replaced by anything similar. But, I admit, I have also purchased some kits that could be interchanged with others - my bad.

I, also, do not finish a project before starting another project. Quilting is part therapy for me - really, really therapy! As that, there are times when I just want to sew, and during those times, I often make a quilt top - which increases my UFOs. At these times, I do not want to deal with completions. I just want to sew. What else can I do except make a quilt top?

I do balance all this with production and completion of projects. There is always a point where I will say - okay, enough of the sewing quilt tops - let's get some quilts made!
            If you are not willing to learn, no one can help you. If you are determined to learn, no one can stop you.- Zig Ziglar

Comment

#4 (Finish a project before moving on to the next project.)
              I usually do this. But, I'm waiting for a quilting stencil to arrive for quilt top #1. And I'm waiting for more fabric to arrive for quilt #2. I'm free today and would like to sew but that means starting quilt top #3...what's a quilter to do?

Jeannette

Comment

"Don't let fabric be dramatic", haha! Loved reading that, it falls inline fairly well with how I approach fabric. But I'll disagree on the Daily Deal. That is my opportunity to place an order I've had sitting around because I can throw in something I need at a great price. Or it's a creative opportunity to break out of my own color box and try something new at little cost and no investment in yardage I may never use. Same thing with the discount FQ bin at a LQS, it's a bit of cheap fun. Now, if one has to build an extra wing on the their house, that might indicate a problem!

Comment

I don't know who wrote that article, but I don't like being told what to do by someone who is not paying me to do it.

I purchase some gorgeous fabric a couple months ago while shopping for another quilt. I finished that quilt, and another, and when it got really hot, I realised I need to make insulated curtains for the kitchen window that was letting in a lot of heat. I shopped my stash, and there it was - that gogeous Judy Neimeyer print with humming birds in just the shade of blue I like so much, but didn't want to cut - yet. Well using it for curtains suits me just fine, because it won't break up the birds, and the bird feeder with just a touch of red . . .
                  Another impulse purchase has been justified - so there!
                  Pieced By Me! :icon_wave:

Pre-cut Yardage Chart

Comment

Originally posted by PrettyCurious View Post
                    I don't know who wrote that article, but I don't like being told what to do by someone who is not paying me to do it.

I purchase some gorgeous fabric a couple months ago while shopping for another quilt. I finished that quilt, and another, and when it got really hot, I realised I need to make insulated curtains for the kitchen window that was letting in a lot of heat. I shopped my stash, and there it was - that gogeous Judy Neimeyer print with humming birds in just the shade of blue I like so much, but didn't want to cut - yet. Well using it for curtains suits me just fine, because it won't break up the birds, and the bird feeder with just a touch of red . . .
                    Another impulse purchase has been justified - so there!
                    Don't be so snarky! She wasn't ordering you to follow her suggestions, she was just saying what works for her. I like some of her points and will ignore some others. If you don't like them ignore them. I'm glad your special fabric worked out for your curtains!
                    Nancy

Comment

Buying more than we need is an issue with modern folks, and it extends far beyond fabric. It can stem from psychological issues and take over your life.
                      My DH comes from a family of handy guys. But in order to be able to fix just about anything, he has to have spare everything to work from. And he is getting worse rather than better as we age. I have been wanting to put new flooring in the house for years, but he refuses to move all his "stuff" and the floor can't be put down around it.
                      Being surrounded by "stuff" is depressing, whether it be fabric or old washing machines.

Comment

I liked #6... think about your age.
                        🌺 Lorie

Comment

Nice! This is pretty much what I do -- though not on purpose with these RULES in mind.

I do purchase fabric for future projects -- but only when hunting late at night on sites to see if the fabric I intend to use has gone on sale yet; and only if it's the next 2 projects in line. Otherwise, I trust that God will provide when the time comes because I don't want to hoard things.

Thanks for sharing!

PS -- I AM a bad hoarder when it comes to Pinterest boards -- especially sample quilts and patterns! Thank goodness that doesn't count!
                          Blessings, DramaMama

"May your bobbin always be full!"

Massdrop Refer-A-Friend link: :icon_woohoo:
                          http://link.massdrop.com/54bd7c22291...of0ePjsfeAaf4b

Comment

No problem here! Right now, I either buy fabric, or food. I like to eat too.

Comment

A lot of sound advice. I know I spend far more time looking for inspiration and daydreaming about new projects than I do working with anything I already have. I agree with being very selective about what fabric you buy - there's just not enough time to make a quilt that you're not totally crazy about. That's part of why I'm ready to just dump my bins of scraps. 90% of it is cheap stuff from before I knew better, and I don't like being "owned" by stuff because I feel obligated to utilize every square inch of fabric. Feeling obligated to use something just sucks all the fun out of the craft.

Comment

Working...
                              X