Thread Discovery

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Thread Discovery

I needed a certain shade of blue, to stitch a binding.... While looking through my threads... How did I get so much of it? ..... I found a spool of Superior Threads King Tut #40/3.... Cotton...

Wow... That thread is just plain yummy.... I don't remember why I bought it, or when, but I'm pretty sure I got it from The Fabric Shack, in Waynesville... And I have no idea what it costs today... But, I'd stack it up to Autifil any day. I think I want more....

I also love Mettler threads, and the new Missouri Star thread is really nice, too.... I love pretty threads... Sometimes I think Aurifil is overrated, and has become an "in" thing... It's good thread, but not the only game in town..

Collecting threads can be as much fun as collecting fabrics...

Sandy from Cincinnati

AKA Kermit

Re: Thread Discovery

I, too, like the various Superior threads, and I like to buy them when they are on sale. However, when not on sale, I can buy Aurifil for less than the Superior threads. On the Superior web site, Masterpiece (50/3) is $8.99 for 600 yds, and King Tut (40/3) is $8.99 for 500 yds. At a LQS I can get Auriful, both 50/2 and 40/2 for $12.99 for 1422 yds. The difference is the ply - Aurifil is only 2 ply, while the Superior Threads are 3 ply.

Sometimes, I'll treat myself to the "Try Me" offers from Superior Threads. Basically, they offer the thread at 1/2 price, but they choose the colors. I have done that to experiment with their various threads to see if I like them before having to pay full price.
    If you are not willing to learn, no one can help you. If you are determined to learn, no one can stop you.- Zig Ziglar

Comment

I recently re-entered the sewing world after a long hiatus. I was shocked at what happened to the price of thread. I had never heard of Aurifil before, but now have a lot of it. I am going to give the MQC thread a try, since it is so much cheaper. I will look into specials of Superior Threads.

Comment

Haven't been to Waynesville in ages. Do agree with you regarding Superior Thread. Do we know who makes MS thread?

Comment

I love the Superior brand threads and only use Bottomline on my bobbins. The bobbin holds about 3x more than normal thread w/the Bottomline. I have never heard bad things about and of the Superior threads, but I will admit I am an Aurifil girl. I love that stuff!
          pat.

No rain....no rainbows!

sigpic

If you can't be nice.....BE QUIET!

Comment

Originally posted by SewingBuddy View Post
            Haven't been to Waynesville in ages. Do agree with you regarding Superior Thread. Do we know who makes MS thread?

I wondered that, too... I really love the feel of the Superior Threads I have... I found a couple more... They feel like silk, but are 100% cotton.

I love the Fabric Shavk... They have just about everything... And, Roberta...in her 80's...still works there.

The service is so good.... They've done things for me that were they certainly didn't have to... Now that I'm not driving...vision issues... I miss running up there for a nice afternoon browse... Lunch at the Cobblestone Cafe is always nice, too...

Sandy from Cincinnati

AKA Kermit

Comment

Sandy, I agree with you on Aurifil being overrated. Or maybe not so much that as overhyped? It is certainly lovely thread, it's still my favorite spool, and I love the ease of knowing the thread weight by the spool color. I'm not sure any other thread has so many colors! But I've found Superior Thread to be ...superior. But Aurifil is still just that bit thinner, which is great when you want a disappearing thread.

SewingBuddy, I've been wondering who makes M* too, I've got my first spools coming and can't wait to check the quality of it. The description and spool design is suspiciously like Superior. They've seen the demand for high quality thread at a good price, we sure yak about it enough here! I love that it smartly fits their customer base; no crazy colors, darling and direct color names, decent spool size that doesn't leave you invested in a 6,000 yard cone. It certainly fills a niche Superior doesn't at this moment.

I'm not picky about thread, not exactly. Cheap or old thread is too much of a bother for me, I want certainty that I will not have to worry or fuss with my thread, I just want to sew. Aurifil and Superior are my go to brands, but I'm always excited to find another. Price ...well since I stick with neutrals I am never investing in large amounts of unused thread, so cost isn't my issue beyond finding a good deal on the thread I need. There really isn't a gigantic difference in the prices of quality thread, and if you want big savings it's cheaper than cheap thread if you buy a cone large enough. I figure if M* thread is to my liking I'll buy it when I need that color or amount or price they offer. Since I've gotten into mini quilts (less thread required), I may just get a lot of new colors added to my stash thanks to M*.

Comment

Originally posted by SewingBuddy View Post
                Wonder if it is the Waynesville that has or used to have a Sauerkraut Festival?

Comment

Yes, Mae - I believe it is the same town. When I was taking care of my SIL (in the Cincinnati area) I would drive to Fabric Shack on my care-taker breaks. Upon my return she would tell me about the Sauerkraut festivals that she went to there. Sounded like a lot of fun & good eats!

Comment

Originally posted by MayinJerset View Post
                    Wonder if it is the Waynesville that has or used to have a Sauerkraut Festival?
                    Yep... Same place. I thunk they still have it.

We went ONCE... The crowds were something.......

Sandy from Cincinnati

AKA Kermit

Comment

Working...
                    X