Took the plunge

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Took the plunge

So last night I watched several of Leah Day's videos on FMQ and decided to put on my big girl panties and gathered my courage and took the plunge with my first attempt at FMQ. Not to bad for the first time if I do say so myself. Need lots more practice, but that's what scraps are for LOL.

Front:
    FMQ 1st attempt - front.jpg

Back:
    FMQ 1st attempt - back.jpg

Definently buying gloves, but still debating wether to buy the Super Slider or the teflon oven liner. Does anyone know if the Super Slider will stay in place over the wood surface of my sewing cabinet, or will I need to tape it down? My thinking is, if I have to tape it down, I might as well save a few bucks and use the oven liner.

Re: Took the plunge

Good job! I use a pair of bamboo work gloves I got the Ace hardware. They have rubbery dots on the palms, they work pretty well and were pretty cheap.

Carrie

PS Kind of like this

http://www.kamojogloves.com/product/...-eco-friendly/
    Last edited by ucarrieme; July 27, 2016, 08:06 AM.
    Carrie

I cut it twice and it was still too short!

Comment

Can't comment on the wooden cabinet because I don't have one, but you will definitely notice the difference with a liner or either kind. The oven liners are less expensive and work well. They do need to be taped down.
      Cindy

Comment

Both types of liners need taped down
        K is for Karen 😊​..................
        Cremation - My last hope for a smokin' hot body.

Before you speak,
        T - is it TRUE?
        H - is it HELPFUL?
        I - is it INSPIRING?
        N - is it NECESSARY?
        K - is it KIND?

Comment

just got mine out and checked - It adheres very will to acrylic/laminate surfaces (plastic). Not nearly so well on the wood table.

Comment

Nice job on the FMQ. I, too, have donned my big girl panties and am practicing FMQ. I quilted a lap size quilt recently and it actually wasn't so bad. I do have the teflon oven liner to help the quilt slide along. I would definitely recommend you getting something to help the quilt slide cuz you just don't want to be quilting along with the needle going but the quilt jerking along causing the stitches to look uneven. You don't really need anything slick for the practice squares or place mats, but it will definitely come in handy on a larger quilt.

Your FMQ "practice" was so good, I would go ahead and try a lap sized quilt.

Sheep Farmer by day....sigpic....Quilter-in-Training by night
            The Farmmyfarm

Comment

Hi
              I am new to the Quilting Forum with my first post/response. Just looking about at the postings and this one caught my eye. Taking the plunge is in line with me too. I started quilting over 10 years ago and stopped for a long time. Now I have time and taking the plunge back in. I do not have any finished quilts but I am taking the plunge as you are on the 3 I had started years ago- tops done, batting & backing together- now quilting and learning FMQ. Trying to get the hang of it before I apply it to my quilts. VERY good dive in on this! Looking forward to moving on this too~
              sigpicThat which does not kill us, only makes us stronger.... Keep Moving Forward !!... :icon_calm:

Comment

Decided on the Sew Slip, slightly less $ than the Supreme Slip and only a few $s more than the oven liner. But it's bigger than the Supreme and already has the needle hole - unlike the oven liner. So hopefully a good compromise. Will plan on needing to tape it down, not a problem as I have a lifetime supply of painters tape.

Not quite ready to attempt to actually FMQ something like a lap quilt just yet, will practice for a while longer with scraps, and then I have a few extra blocks from prior quilt tops that I was planning on turning into pillows.

I'm so excited about learning this new skill, and hope that someday I'll be as good as so many of you. And an added bonus, I'll be saving a ton of money by not sending my tops out to be machine quilted, and that eventually I will be able to afford a long arm machine (assuming I don't spend my savings on more fabric).

Comment

Your FMQ samples look great! I use my samples to make zip pouches for the kids.

I use the oven liner. It tapes down well and holds with Scotch 3M wide blue painters tape. Just have to remember to make sure that your feed dogs are down OR stitch length set to zero, so you don't sew through the liner. (Ask me how I know.)

I prefer the Machingers gloves but you can also use a couple squares of the rubberized shelf lining for grip on smaller projects and samples.

Comment

Originally posted by QuiltingLindy View Post
                    Hi
                    I am new to the Quilting Forum with my first post/response. Just looking about at the postings and this one caught my eye. Taking the plunge is in line with me too. I started quilting over 10 years ago and stopped for a long time. Now I have time and taking the plunge back in. I do not have any finished quilts but I am taking the plunge as you are on the 3 I had started years ago- tops done, batting & backing together- now quilting and learning FMQ. Trying to get the hang of it before I apply it to my quilts. VERY good dive in on this! Looking forward to moving on this too~
                    First, Welcome to the Forum. I can attest that you will get lots of support, encouragement, and advise from the other members here. I too am relatively new to the forum, and have already learned so much from these good people.

Like you, I dabbled in quilting many years ago, but took a 20 year hiatus before I started up again 2 years ago after my mother passed away. In that time, I've finished four quilt tops that my mother had started, three were sent out to be quilted, and one she was hand quilting so I had to finish that one by myself.

I have also pieced another 22 tops myself over the past two years. A few of those I simply stitched in the ditch, and four or five I sent out for quilting, but I find myself still with about a dozen tops ready to go.

So glad you too have taken the plunge with FMQ. Would love to see some of your work.

Comment

I bought the gloves but haven't purchased any oven liner or Supreme Slip...but I am going to take the plunge soon!!!
                      Yours is really nice...great job! I will be happy if I can do that well...
                      Carol

Sewing Mends The Soul ~ Author Unknown

Comment

Caroline - your FMQ looks great!! I have used the Sew Slip and found I needed to tape it down. My sister recently started practicing FMQ so I passed that mat on to her. I now have the Supreme Slider queen size and I don't have any problem at all with it moving - just be sure to rinse it off after each use. I do have an oven liner I purchased, but since I don't have any problems with the Supreme Slider I haven't tried it. I did see on-line somewhere where the person FMQing had cut a bigger hole in the liner which allowed her to change the bobbin without taking up the mat. I hesitate the cut into my Supreme Slider - but if I was using the oven mat, I would definitely cut a hole big enough for the needle and bobbin access.

Your FMQ looks great!! I love being able to quilt my own quilts - and like Jenny says - done is better than perfect.

Edited to add - that I couldn't quilt without my Machinger's gloves. Love them!!
                        ***Kathy***

Comment

IMO, the Supreme Slider works great. I noticed a big improvement in my FMQ after I started using it. However, I used it on a Sew Steady Extension table, not wood. I have never had to tape mine down. The secret for adhering it is to keep it washed after each project. If the lint builds up on the back, it won't adhere. I do not need it with my Baby Lock Tiara II table model LA.

Comment

You all give me hope and courage to attempt FMQ! I have a used BabyLock Quikters Choice Professional coming my way next Monday and I'm hoping to try some FMQ! I also bought a Singer S16 when they were on sale. I'm going to try on it too! (Of course, as is typical with me, I struggled a little setting it up. I just couldn't get it to sew even a stitch. I adjusted all the tensions, rethreaded the machine, re-inserted the bobbin etc MANY times. As it turns out, I was threading the needle backwards!!! Felt like an idiot! Works like a charm now!). Anyway, great job Christine! Hopefully I can be as successful!
                            Brenda. :icon_wave:

Comment

I use cheap muslin when I practice. You can get screaming deals when it's 60% off at J's. I normally buy a bolt for around $25.
                              pat.

No rain....no rainbows!

sigpic

If you can't be nice.....BE QUIET!

Comment

Working...
                              X