That time of year

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

That time of year

My tolerance has reached it's limits. After about two weeks of hot and humid weather I took a look at the next 10 day weather forecast. It's even more beastly. I have a bedroom with office attached and that's the only rooms that use a window air conditioning. You know the old adage...fish or cut bait? Well it's keep cool or sew. Sewwwwwwwwwwww, this morning I moved my sewing table into my office. I can now do both!!! I have some cutting to do. The sewing machine and ironing board is next. A tad crowded but certainly workable.

I love it when a plan comes together

Use of the quilting machine and frame will have to be scheduled for less humid/hot days since it's too big to move but the current plan makes me and Carlie very very happy.
    https://forum.missouriquiltco.com/co.../icon_wave.gif
    Women are Angels. When someone break's our wings we will continue to fly-usually on a broomstick.We're flexible like that.

Re: That time of year

Good for you! I am so fortunate to have central air in my house... But, I do remember not having it.... My kids were little.... Now,I would be miserable without it...

Sandy from Cincinnati

AKA Kermit

Comment

Yippee, glad that you were able to figure out a plan to stay cool and sew. We have had a week of unbearably hot weather that even the central AC has had a hard time keeping the house cool. When I grew up, we had only a window unit but that was not until I was in elementary and even then we didn't run it all the time. When it was horribly hot, we all slept in the living room to stay cool. One set of grandparents had a window unit while the other did not but we went down to the unfinished basement where it was cool when it was extremely hot.

Comment

I noticed too that some days the a/c doesn't seem to be cranking it as I thought it would. I had forgotten that the basement seemed about 10 degrees cooler than elsewhere in the house but this basement isn't an option (dirt floor and dank etc). My downstairs sitting room does have a ceiling fan and I sit in there and read while I'm doing supper. That fan works quite well, I was surprised.

I think this may well be the hottest summer overall since I moved to WV. I was raised in NJ on the shore and that could be pretty miserable with the humidity. I easily get heat stroke (even a a child in NJ). Now it's much worse. I had to run out this morning to pick up a few groceries (I left Carlie home in the a/c). I was outside for what? three minutes and started feeling sick. UGH. I really don't know what people further south or in Texas do when they have a power outage. It must be really awful!
        https://forum.missouriquiltco.com/co.../icon_wave.gif
        Women are Angels. When someone break's our wings we will continue to fly-usually on a broomstick.We're flexible like that.

Comment

I too become "ill" when out in heat, even for a short period. I never could stand it, even as a child and we had no A/c and maybe one fan. (which my mom would NOT leave on at night) I remember sitting in the bathtub with cool water in the middle of the night and then be awoken when someone had to use the facilities.! Or sleeping on the linoleum floor which was cooler than my bed. Thank you God for A/c. I am getting a little stir crazy but that is sooooo much better than being in this heat. I pray for those who have no ability to get cool and their children and elderly. I remember as a child in NYC people passing away from heat problems in some of the old apartments. All: Take care, hydrate, be aware of heat health problems, e.g. no sweating,confusion,dizziness etc.

Comment

Our evaporative cooler keeps us comfortable. It was 106 here yesterday!

Comment

I also am one that gets sick in the sun or high heat. We do not have A/C and have done well without for the most part. The kids have A/C in their bedrooms but we have 2 windows in ours and can work the fan system. I do have an A/C for my sewing room but we rarely put it in. We broke down this weekend and put in. I will not like the Electric bill but with way too many days in the high 90's and even 100's we needed it. At least we have a room to get relief in.
              sigpic:icon_hug: Iris Girl = April = fabric, Fabric FABRIC!!
              Time spent with cats is never wasted.
              Sigmund Freud

Comment

Glad you worked out a solution. I also cannot tolerate high temps, and high humidity, because of my lungs. It reached 104 here today, and the humidity was sky high. I stay in, unless I absolutely have to go out.
                Blankets wrap you in warmth, quilts wrap you in love

Marilyn......
                sigpic

Comment

There are still people living in cities, like Chicago, that die from the heat. Poor, elderly, living in bad neighborhoods, who are too afraid to open windows to even get a breeze if there is one. Can't afford to run the AC if they have one.
                  There is a breeze blowing this morning. I think we are supposed to get some rain this evening.

Comment

Our ac has been running practically nonstop for most of this past week. It has been unbearable to be outside, even early in the mornings or late at night. We just had a solar array installed this past year and have been so pleased with our new electric bills. We have paid nothing each month.....till now. BUT..... I won't complain a bit to write that $6 check. I remember when we first moved to this old farm and had no ac. We spent so much time in the baby pool or bathtub in cool water that I thought we would all be permanently wrinkled! Now if I could just figure out a way to eliminate our phone bills!

Comment

These are the days when I wish our master bedroom was on the first floor. Our electric bill will be staggering as is, so kicking down the temp on the thermostat to get it more comfortable upstairs is even more costly.
                      Goodbye Europe! Hello California! Home sweet home.

Comment

Working...
                      X