Rob Appell's new tutorial

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Rob Appell's new tutorial

Have you watched his new tutorial on binding by machine? I am going to go look and see if I have that foot. This looks like what I have been dreaming of. And it probably has been right there all along. lol I have tried to do it by machine and never could keep it lined up right.

Re: Rob Appell's new tutorial

I saw it and was intrigued. I don't have that foot and can't find one online for my machine (Janome 7700). If anyone knows where I can get one that fits my machine, I would love that info!
    Courage is being scared to death, and saddling up anyway. ~John Wayne

Quilting is my passion . . . chocolate is a close second!

Comment

Hi, I have a Janome and thought the same thing. Time to hit the internet searches for a new foot.

Comment

I still don't like machine sewn binding because it never looks good on the back of the quilt.
        Goodbye Europe! Hello California! Home sweet home.

Comment

Originally posted by Irene221b View Post
          Hi, I have a Janome and thought the same thing. Time to hit the internet searches for a new foot.
          Let me know if you find one. I tried and came up empty.
          Courage is being scared to death, and saddling up anyway. ~John Wayne

Quilting is my passion . . . chocolate is a close second!

Comment

If your looking for the Babylock version of this foot ,which he was using, you can't buy it online. You need to go to Babylock dealer. One of their weird rules.

You may get your own machines foot online though.

https://www.google.com/?gws_rd=ssl#q...el+sewing+foot
            🌺 Lorie

Comment

This foot works on several machines. I doesn't look the same, but does the same thing. Check the video out.

http://www.allbrands.com/products/40...metal-bi-level
              🌺 Lorie

Comment

I machine bind almost all of my quilts. They look just fine. The secret is in the technique. You have to use a sewing gauge & fold over the binding a consistent width. I do SITD on the front & it catches the edge of the binding on the back side quite evenly. It sure saves a lot of time & energy to do it by machine.

Comment

In the YouTube comments section Rob said that you can also use your zipper foot for the same effect.

Comment

Originally posted by JCY View Post
                    I machine bind almost all of my quilts. They look just fine. The secret is in the technique. You have to use a sewing gauge & fold over the binding a consistent width. I do SITD on the front & it catches the edge of the binding on the back side quite evenly. It sure saves a lot of time & energy to do it by machine.

I've seen the you can also use a decrative stitch so you don't have to be so exact. Have you tried something like this?? I am not an exact sort of person on some things and there is no way I could get my binding the same on both sides. I'm just wondering if it would work to hide my mistakes.

Comment

Originally posted by JCY View Post
                      I have the bi level foot and use it for machine binding my quilts. It really does a better job than any other foot I have. Right now I'm cutting my binding at 2 1/4" but I'm thinking about going to 2" to decrease the amount of flap on the front side. (I bind backwards from most people - I sew on the backside and fold over to the front, so there is a flap/flange framing the frontside).

With that foot, I can fold over the binding, and the foot rides the edge of the binding. I move the needle over to the left a bit to SITD on the backside. Works good for me.

Comment

I always say I am going to try this but then when the time comes I chicken out and I machine stitch the front and hand stitch the back like always. What is wrong with me?!!

Comment

Originally posted by rebeccas-sewing View Post
                          I still don't like machine sewn binding because it never looks good on the back of the quilt.
                          I've never been able to get one to look right... My fault, I'm sure....

Sandy from Cincinnati

AKA Kermit

Comment

I have to say that, to me, anyway, hand stitching the binding is a something I love to do... It's the final task...and I find it to be very satisfying...

OTOH' I admire those who can make mavhine seen binding look good... I never could... But, that's OK...

Sandy from Cincinnati

AKA Kermit

Comment

I've been searching through the Bernina 710 feet and can't find anything other than a topstitch foot which doesn't have the "ledge", just a guide almost like the patchwork foot. Bother and double bother I say! (insert here a dejected sigh and a slow sad walk out to the kitchen for a cup of tea).

Comment

Working...
                              X