Clear All

New Jenny tutorial! Make a Flying Geese Diamonds Quilt

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=CyMlHPx9MXI

Enjoy!
    I am of to watch.
    sigpic

God, Grant me the serenity to accept the things I cannot change,
    The stash to make a quilt to help me cope,
    A quilt to give to comfort those I love in times of hurt, fear and uncertainty.
    And the courage to keep on sewing when life itself seems held together by a single thread of hope.

Re: New Jenny tutorial! Make a Flying Geese Diamonds Quilt

I like the look of this but the thought of sewing all those curves down may keep me from making it.
    Last edited by wlrquilts; July 22, 2016, 04:46 AM.
    Wendy
    http://www.pinterest.com/wlrich2/boards/

Comment

I really love this quilt. I may have what I need in my stash....off to look!
      sigpicwww.whisperofrose.blogspot.com

Scottie Mom Barb

Comment

Neat....a cathedral look to the flying geese method. It would be pretty to maybe do a decorative stitch on the curve in dark thread (depending on what color palette chosen for the blocks)!
        Sherri

"Don't let someone else's ugly spoil your beautiful. " Thanks, Bubby!!!!!!

Comment

My very first quilting class I took made this block (not set in this pattern) and we had the option to curve or not curve the blocks. I decided to curve them and as long as you take your time it is not too bad. Some of the folks did use a decorative stitch and it looked cute. I was too new and stuck with a straight stitch.

I really love the way she set these out and I love the fabric she used too. Hmmm, guess that one will go on my wish list. I'm trying to be good!
          Debbie

Comment

I love the look of this, but wonder how in the heck do you quilt it with all those bumps and thick layers to go over. Wouldn't your quilting foot or longarm foot get caught up on those? My worry with the 3-D blocks quilts.

Comment

I had forgotten about the 3D block flying geese so I felt like I was seeing something new. I really like the looks of this one. I noticed it is quilted with an all-over meander and she said the quilters didn't have a hard time with it. I might make a few blocks and see how it quilts before investing in the whole quilt. How she comes up with this stuff is amazing to me!
              Cindy

Comment

I loved the tutorial and the quilt (great fabrics!) but doubt I will try this one any time soon. Too many irons in the fire already.
                Courage is being scared to death, and saddling up anyway. ~John Wayne

Quilting is my passion . . . chocolate is a close second!

Comment

Really loved the look of this quilt, but I have way way too much going on right now to try it. Will wait to hear what seaturtle says about how the practice blocks are to quilt over.

Comment

I love this and think it would work with my silver and red holiday flourish Christmas fabrics that I have been saving up. I think I would do the decorative stitch on the curves for fun.
                    Use it up, wear it out, make it do or do without.

Comment

How would it look if you wait till you were quilting it and then quilted the curve instead of just stitching it down?
                      Vonnie

Comment

She should have given credit where credit is due. This is Suzanne McNeill's 5 Minute Block technique with the cathedral roll.

Comment

Well since this style of block has been around for a pretty long time and I have seen lots of different quilters use this or similar style to make it, Jenny may not have learned this from Suzanne so why credit her if she did not know? She could have heard about it from a different source. She may not know that Suzanne did a tutorial on this style of block with this method I know I have seen other older tutorials that pre dates Suzanne's so hard to say who came up with it. Everyone puts there own twist on things.

Originally posted by surfergirl View Post
                          She should have given credit where credit is due. This is Suzanne McNeill's 5 Minute Block technique with the cathedral roll.
                          Use it up, wear it out, make it do or do without.

Comment

I have seen many of these blocks done in different ways and different designs, but this is truly the first that made me want to jump right up and go raid my stash to look for these color fabrics, too. This quilt is BEAUTIFUL! I love love the gray and red - I'm thinking Christmas quilts! Thanks, Jenny....you hit a home run with me on this one, for sure!
                            Barbara
                            http://www.etsy.com/shop/CraftySweetPeas

Comment

Originally posted by shermur View Post
                              Neat....a cathedral look to the flying geese method. It would be pretty to maybe do a decorative stitch on the curve in dark thread (depending on what color palette chosen for the blocks)!
                              Great idea to do a decorative stitch.
                              Nancy

Psalm 126:3 The LORD has done great things for us, and we are filled with joy.

Comment

Working...
                              X