Irritated & Annoyed

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Irritated & Annoyed

Ordered 2 yards of wide white flannel from fabric.com over a week ago for my new design wall. Ordered the most expensive and with the best rating thinking it would be of the best quality, and the wide stuff I wouldn't have to piece. Showed up yesterday, opened the box, was thin enough to see through and it smelled like rat poison. I thought maybe it would be ok anyway and I'll wash it, no big deal. Got it home and unfolded it only to discover a baseball size hole right in the middle and I mean in the middle of the cut. And the cut is so crooked I have 64" on one end and shy of 70" on the other. So my question is there really such a thing as "good flannel"? If so what brand and where to order from. I'd really like to have something thicker with at least some resemblance of a nap. Any suggestions would be appreciated.

Re: Irritated & Annoyed

Well first is the complaint dept with pictures. That is horrible. I used felt yardage for my wall.
    🌺 Lorie

Comment

I recently bought some Kauffman flannel. It was grey with yellow flowers. I used it for the backing of Izzy's quilt. It was very excellent quality. I see that fabrics.com carries that brand, and they do have it in white. When purchasing flannel online, I would definitely go for a name recognized manufacturer.

Edited to add - I did not buy my flannel online, though. I purchased it at Sauder's Fabrics. Here is a link to their online store. http://www.saudersfabric.com/
      Last edited by Sylvia H; July 21, 2016, 08:59 AM.
      If you are not willing to learn, no one can help you. If you are determined to learn, no one can stop you.- Zig Ziglar

Comment

You might try drapery interlining, it would be about 54" wide, should be all cotton and thicker than garment flannel. I got mine from a wholesale source years ago and I don't remember the name, sorry.
        Claire from Pelham, Alabama

Comment

Felt worked for my wall. Joanne's sells it & 72 inches wide. It's been up for a year with no problems. I would also suggest complaining to fabric.com. good luck.
          Diana Grey

Comment

Wow! I've ordered from them a number of times and never had a problem. I would definitely send photos. They should reimburse you. I like Lorie's idea of using felt. I wish I had space for a design wall. Let us know the outcome once you've put in a complaint. They will want to know about this, I'm sure. These companies don't like unhappy customers.
            Goodbye Europe! Hello California! Home sweet home.

Comment

Save yourself the time and headache of finding the "right" flannel. I had a thick flannel on my design wall for years and it was not great for holding the blocks. They were constantly falling off because flannel has a nap. Get some Warm & Natural batting. No nap, blocks and quilts stay on the wall!
              Tenacity: The quality or fact of being very determined; determination.

Comment

I bought some cheap white fleece before hancocks went backrupt and it has worked great.

Comment

I have used the following and they all worked great. Like Cindirae said Batting either Warm and Natural or something similar, nothing with a loft, works great. I covered some foam board with a low pill fleece and it is still in good shape. Also, you can get a flannel back table cloth and put it up on the wall and that works great as well. I am currently using the flannel back table cloth and love it. You can keep stuff up on it for days and they will not fall off.

Comment

My quilt wall is black extra-wide felt (from Hancocks before it went bankrupt).

Comment

What a disappointment! I agree, definitely take pictures and measurements and write a complaint to fabric.com and do let everyone know the outcome. You need a refund, for sure. I have some foam board I covered with batting, but it was poly and attracted the cat hair like mad. Hate it! I need to recover it. I also have some foam board covered with the gridded Kaffe Fassett flannel. I love this because it's not white and the grid lines help me stay lined up. Fabrics stick to it. You can probably find it discounted somewhere, but I'm not sure where. This is the stuff I am talking about, but it's pricy.

http://www.fatquartershop.com/flanne...y-grid-yardage

Comment

Originally posted by cindirae View Post
                        Save yourself the time and headache of finding the "right" flannel. I had a thick flannel on my design wall for years and it was not great for holding the blocks. They were constantly falling off because flannel has a nap. Get some Warm & Natural batting. No nap, blocks and quilts stay on the wall!
                        This what I have on my design wall too. It's lasted years and works well.

Comment

Thanks all. After 20 minutes on hold with customer service, managed to get a return authorization and notification of UPS pickup tomorrow. Refund in 7-10 days. No apologies, but was informed that "some" of their less expensive products are seconds. Didn't occur to me that $12.00/yard was less expensive. I have never had a problem with quality from them before, but put them to the back of my go-to because of how slow they are at shipping. So many other online companies are quicker.

Making the drive later today to a Joann's to check out the 72" wide felt. I called and they have 37 yards on hand. In working with the flannel yesterday evening in a dark blue shirt, not sure if I want the fuzz level of flannel or batting. I use enough lint rollers as is. We're building this with a frame and trim so I'd prefer something that will last. I'll keep y'all posted. This will be the last step in my junk room remodel and I'm getting anxious to quit setting it up and actually use the room. Been three weeks now since I've SEWED.

Comment

I have also stopped using fabric.com when an order of material arrived that had a heavy petroleum smell to it. I aired it outside for several days and washed/dried it to get it useable. Fortunately, it was yardage and could be washed and it did come out. I haven't used them again since. I think quality really went down when they were bought out by Amazon.

As for design wall, I'm in the Warm & Natural camp. Love my wall.
                            Cindy

Comment

I didn't have the wall space for a design wall either I have a whole that has open shelving on it. So I purchased a solar shade from walmart.com and so warm and natural and so spray glue. I laid the shade out on the garage floor spray the glue on the shade a foot at a time and I slowly applied the batting as I worked my way to the end of the shade. Let it dry rolled the shade up and hung it from the ceiling far enough away from my opening shelving that it rolls down and just misses the shelving. I can roll it up when I need to get to my shelving. I can even roll it up with my designs on it, they move a little but I'm fine with that. Hope you can use that idea.

Comment

Working...
                              X