• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Neller
    replied
    Re: What to do with tiny scrap bits

Originally posted by Sylvia H View Post
    I have used my 2.5" strips and blocks to make a tumbler quilt top, and the rest are being put together to make 16 square blocks for another scrappy quilt. One of my very wild, scrappy quilt tops used the mile a minute method, shown here: http://patchworkpie.blogspot.com/200...ute-quilt.html

Take time after the end of each project, to organize your scraps. You will be glad that you did.
    That was a great tutorial Sylvia! I am saving scraps to make a scrappy quilt, saving both 2 1/2" squares and random pieces for a crumb quilt. I also am amassing a collection of HSTs from the swap on this forum.

Leave a comment:

• SewnByBee
    replied

Here are a couple of ideas,

Tid-bit's - use a old pillow case, as a trash can liner.

Appliqué - I save good pieces for these. Iron on double sided fusable, and cut out, set aside.

Scraps - draw on baggies, square sizes, 21\2, 31\2, 41\2, cut scraps from these sizes, use drawing on baggies to make sure your storring in correct size ......ready to use......
    Happy quilting.

Leave a comment:

• Marta
    replied

I also use tiny scraps for stuffing pet beds and for leaders and enders. Scraps of embroidery thread I place on a plant out side my window. We have some little birds that use them for nest making.

Leave a comment:

• peepers613
    replied

What Laura said. Go to Pinterest and search "scrap quilts" and you'll be inspired. I save scraps that can be cut to 1 and 1/2 inch. I'm sewing them into 9" blocks and then a quilt. When I'm having a bad day, or just want to mindlessly quilt, I work on this project. It's very relaxing for me.

Leave a comment:

• DramaMama
    replied

Yes, Bonnie Hunter's scrap system is useful!

I LOVE the idea above re: scraps that are too small can be placed in an old t-shirt and when full donated to an animal shelter! I will start doing this vs. keeping a trash can near my cutting table!

One word of caution: do not be afraid to throw away scraps that are "too small" or else you will be spending as much time "managing and organizing" them and buying storage bins and them taking up storage space! This goes with everything in life, I guess -- I have been at a point in my life where I question: Do I need this? Why? How much tim, space & money is it going to suck from my life to clean, store and care for it?

The size will be determined by the sizes you want to work with. Someone above said she doesn't save triangles -- I save my triangles (e.g., from HST's) for paper piecing and crazy quilt blocks.

Leave a comment:

• grammaterry
    replied

here are some samples. The first is tiny leftover snowball triangles. The second is called chaos.scrapy quilt.jpgChaos.jpg

Leave a comment:

• laura44
    replied

Here are a couple from Pinterest, just do a search for scrap quilts.
    I am saving 2" x 3" scraps for the 1st picture. Anything smaller becomes a leader/ender.
    scrap2.jpg
    [ATTACH=CONFIG]133241[/ATTACH
    ]scrap1.jpg
    Attached Files

Leave a comment:

• Deegles
    replied

I have seen a quilt at a quilt show that takes the small snips of triangles from angle seams and saves them to applique (for lack of a better term) to a quilt as leaves on a tree and leaves on the ground. Those pieces are only 1/4 inch triangles. I don't keep anything that small. But I am saving my selvages in one baggie and all other scraps in another and am collecting to make a nice string quilt one day.

Leave a comment:

• Sylvia H
    replied

I am into my 6th year of quilting. For the first 4.5 years, I just put all my leftovers into bags, not knowing what to do with them. Then I learned about using leaders and enders to make scrap quilts. I also believe that the scraps from that $10/yard of fabric are still worth $10/yard, and I don't want to throw that away.

So, about a year ago, I started organizing my scraps. Anything large enough to be cut into a 5" square, was cut that size, to make scrappy charm squares. I also cut 2.5" strips and 2.5" squares, and 1.5" strips. I also have a few other sizes cut, for other quilts I want to make when I have enough scraps in those sizes. Over the past year, I have been able to make 4 quilt tops from just scraps, and donated a large amount of 5" square scraps to Izzy (my step-grandaughter, who is learning to quilt).

I am now going to be careful when I have to make snowball blocks, making sure that I trim the seam accurately so I can use the leftover fabric to make half square triangle blocks.

I have used my 2.5" strips and blocks to make a tumbler quilt top, and the rest are being put together to make 16 square blocks for another scrappy quilt. One of my very wild, scrappy quilt tops used the mile a minute method, shown here: http://patchworkpie.blogspot.com/200...ute-quilt.html

Take time after the end of each project, to organize your scraps. You will be glad that you did.

Leave a comment:

• Cool Breeze Quilter
    replied

Scrap Vortex Crazy Mom Quilts, Part I: http://crazymomquilts.blogspot.com/2...-week-one.html

Scrappy Improv Tutorial from Kelly at My Quilt Infatuation: http://myquiltinfatuation.blogspot.c...v-piecing.html

Leave a comment:

• LindaKay75
    replied

Anything under 2" I throw away also. Sometimes I can use my long scraps to piece out a small border, etc. I made a family photo quilt and used my scraps to frame the pictures. Always good to hang onto your scraps.

Leave a comment:

• Kgrammiecaz
    replied

Originally posted by Sandy Navas View Post
    I take an old t-shirt. Sew the sleeves shut. Sew the bottom shut. I hang it on the side of my cutting table. Anything too small to be put into a quilt goes in the neck opening. When it is full I sew the neck shut and donate it to the animal shelter. There's always a dog who needs some comfort!!
    Sandy, I love this awesome idea. After I make Zoey's bed, I am going to do this and donate to our favorite shelter. Thanks for the information. All fabric is useful in some way.

I also have provided scraps of yarn and fabric to the after school program. The kids always love having different things to create with.

Leave a comment:

• Midge
    replied

I save the little scraps to make cat beds for the local animal shelter. To line the carriers and cages. Bigger scraps I've started using as leaders/enders to eventually make quilts or the cat bed covers, whatever will work. The animal shelter people say that having a home made pet bed/carrier liner helps with the adoptions.

Leave a comment:

• Caroline T.
    replied

Originally posted by Sandy Navas View Post
    I take an old t-shirt. Sew the sleeves shut. Sew the bottom shut. I hang it on the side of my cutting table. Anything too small to be put into a quilt goes in the neck opening. When it is full I sew the neck shut and donate it to the animal shelter. There's always a dog who needs some comfort!!
    What a great idea for recycling an old t-shirt too.

Leave a comment:

• Sandy Navas
    replied

Leave a comment:

Working...
X