What to do with tiny scrap bits

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

What to do with tiny scrap bits

I have just gotten into quilting this year and now have a bagful of tiny pieces and cuts from around my quilts. what do people do,with these unusable pieces? I don't want to simply put them in the trash to end up in a landfill. Ideas?

Re: What to do with tiny scrap bits

I throw away anything smaller than two inches. I also throw away any left over triangles, and yes into the regular trash. You can iron your scraps and cut them into like sizes, all 2", 3" etc and keep them stacked up all nice and neat, that's called being organized. Or what I do just toss them into a big empty box and when it is full you can make a wonderful scrap quilt. I keep my selvedges too, some are really cool and you can incorporate those into a scrap quilt too--just trim them so at least 1 or 1-1/2" of the fabric next to selvedges is intact or they will be too hard to use later.
    Last edited by jjkaiser; July 19, 2016, 10:07 AM.

Comment

Stuff something with them. Pet beds are nice.

Comment

There are folks in my guild that do string piecing and I give away the longer pieces to them, I save 2 1/2" squares and have been making 4 patches from them. One day I plan on putting them all together into a scrappy 16 patch quilt. All the little bits just go to the garbage can.

Comment

Check out the blog Crazy Mom Quilts. She uses tiny scraps. I love her work, but for my own scraps I use the Bonnie Hunter scrap-users system -- see her blog for how to! The tiny scraps just aren't for me.

Comment

Decoupage

A photo album to keep pictures of all your completed quilts

A little piece of furniture for your sewing room (maybe a small table for your coffee/snacks)

A lamp shade to decorate a corner of your sewing room

The ideas are only limited to your imagination

Comment

Feel free to throw your tiny scraps away. You do not need to keep anything you know you won't ever use. Decide what the smallest size is you'll use, such as a 2 1/2" square and throw the rest in the trash. I know fabric is valuable, but there has to be some limit! Find yours.
              Cyndi

“Have courage for the great sorrows of life and patience for the small ones; and when you have laboriously accomplished your daily task, go to sleep in peace. God is awake.” - Victor Hugo

Comment

I take an old t-shirt. Sew the sleeves shut. Sew the bottom shut. I hang it on the side of my cutting table. Anything too small to be put into a quilt goes in the neck opening. When it is full I sew the neck shut and donate it to the animal shelter. There's always a dog who needs some comfort!!
                Sometimes, when there's a raging fire,
                it's best not to try to put it out with gasoline.

"...pal carajo con la negatividad..."

Comment

Originally posted by Sandy Navas View Post
                  I take an old t-shirt. Sew the sleeves shut. Sew the bottom shut. I hang it on the side of my cutting table. Anything too small to be put into a quilt goes in the neck opening. When it is full I sew the neck shut and donate it to the animal shelter. There's always a dog who needs some comfort!!
                  What a great idea for recycling an old t-shirt too.

Comment

I save the little scraps to make cat beds for the local animal shelter. To line the carriers and cages. Bigger scraps I've started using as leaders/enders to eventually make quilts or the cat bed covers, whatever will work. The animal shelter people say that having a home made pet bed/carrier liner helps with the adoptions.

Comment

Originally posted by Sandy Navas View Post
                      Sandy, I love this awesome idea. After I make Zoey's bed, I am going to do this and donate to our favorite shelter. Thanks for the information. All fabric is useful in some way.

I also have provided scraps of yarn and fabric to the after school program. The kids always love having different things to create with.
                      Karen
                      Life is short - Live everyday to the fullest

Comment

Anything under 2" I throw away also. Sometimes I can use my long scraps to piece out a small border, etc. I made a family photo quilt and used my scraps to frame the pictures. Always good to hang onto your scraps.
                        sigpicLinda :icon_wave:

Comment

Scrap Vortex Crazy Mom Quilts, Part I: http://crazymomquilts.blogspot.com/2...-week-one.html

Scrappy Improv Tutorial from Kelly at My Quilt Infatuation: http://myquiltinfatuation.blogspot.c...v-piecing.html

Comment

I am into my 6th year of quilting. For the first 4.5 years, I just put all my leftovers into bags, not knowing what to do with them. Then I learned about using leaders and enders to make scrap quilts. I also believe that the scraps from that $10/yard of fabric are still worth $10/yard, and I don't want to throw that away.

So, about a year ago, I started organizing my scraps. Anything large enough to be cut into a 5" square, was cut that size, to make scrappy charm squares. I also cut 2.5" strips and 2.5" squares, and 1.5" strips. I also have a few other sizes cut, for other quilts I want to make when I have enough scraps in those sizes. Over the past year, I have been able to make 4 quilt tops from just scraps, and donated a large amount of 5" square scraps to Izzy (my step-grandaughter, who is learning to quilt).

I am now going to be careful when I have to make snowball blocks, making sure that I trim the seam accurately so I can use the leftover fabric to make half square triangle blocks.

I have used my 2.5" strips and blocks to make a tumbler quilt top, and the rest are being put together to make 16 square blocks for another scrappy quilt. One of my very wild, scrappy quilt tops used the mile a minute method, shown here: http://patchworkpie.blogspot.com/200...ute-quilt.html

Take time after the end of each project, to organize your scraps. You will be glad that you did.
                            If you are not willing to learn, no one can help you. If you are determined to learn, no one can stop you.- Zig Ziglar

Comment

I have seen a quilt at a quilt show that takes the small snips of triangles from angle seams and saves them to applique (for lack of a better term) to a quilt as leaves on a tree and leaves on the ground. Those pieces are only 1/4 inch triangles. I don't keep anything that small. But I am saving my selvages in one baggie and all other scraps in another and am collecting to make a nice string quilt one day.
                              Blogging ahead.....research in quilting and sewing with a dab of cooking/recipes too.

https://myquiltprojects.wordpress.com/

https://thecookbookproject.wordpress.com/

Comment

Working...
                              X