Comments on this HST system

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Comments on this HST system

This week end there will be a quilt show here in New Braunfels, TX and this will be one of the vendors (let me say not many vendors)
    http://quiltnaflash.com/index.html

Any comments? I think it is rather pricey (and I am horrible at hst !)

Re: Comments on this HST system

I think that I would prefer to use Sizzix die over chalk.

Comment

Seem like a waste of time to me...any of the other methods seem faster than all of that marking. In the time she took to do the video, including the prepared pieces, I could have done just about as many using Jenny's method of sewing around the outside of the squares and getting 8.
      Blankets wrap you in warmth, quilts wrap you in love

Marilyn......
      sigpic

Comment

I agree... For ME; it is easier to use the 10 inch squares to make HST. I don't recall if it made different sizes.. but still I don't think I'd buy it.
        Judy

Click HERE to find me and My imagination
        :icon_wave:

Comment

I agree with Marilyn, I can do Jenny's method fast enough to produce many many HST's in no time at all.

Comment

I think if you go and look at it and try it out and you find it makes things easier for you, then get it. Only you can make that decision. Hopefully they have it set up so you can give it a try!
            pat.

No rain....no rainbows!

sigpic

If you can't be nice.....BE QUIET!

Comment

Way to much work for me takes up to much time when i could be quilting instead lol
              sigpicHawaiigrammi

Comment

If you purchase this, please let us know how you like it.
                If it turns out that you do not like it, please add a review to this thread and let the rest of us know:

http://forum.missouriquiltco.com/showthread.php?t=57322

Sheep Farmer by day....sigpic....Quilter-in-Training by night
                The Farmmyfarm

Comment

If it solved the problem of bias edges on the outside of the HSTs, maybe it would be cool. It doesn't. I also don't like the fabric waste that she shows, and all of that pinning is cray cray!

For speed, the Jenny way is good. For accuracy and no outside bias edges, I'd use a half and quarter or similar ruler to cut triangles from strip pairs.

e: Wait, it does eliminate the bias....meh, it's still spending money on yet another tool, AND the pounce or whatever to mark. Also, the need to buy a new stencil for a different size HST? Not for me, but YMMV. I might consider it for the teeny tiny 1" size if I needed those.
                  Last edited by SisterDi; July 19, 2016, 08:26 AM.

Comment

I think there is a lot of time wasted marking, if you like this style/method I would suggest you try some 1/2 square triangle papers such as this http://www.fatquartershop.com/1-half...triangle-paper you can get it in these rolls or in sheets in most any size finished block you wish.
                    Beth

Procrastinate. It frees up time to quilt!

Comment

I like the Wondercut Ruler https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=kKOTxsSmpZo. It's quick. If you cut the strips on the bias they will come out on straight-of-grain. To make scrappy just cut your strips shorter and mix up the strips. I still cut oversized, iron them open and cut them down just to make sure they are perfect. For me, it's worth the little bit of extra time to save me any headaches when I'm sewing them together. I also like the Fons and Porter Half and Quarter-Square Triangle Ruler https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=j-BUnW-ZR5k. To me that's an effective way to make them as well - cut oversized and trim down. For speed the Quiltinaday Triangle Square Up ruler is great but I also like the Shape-Cut Square up template. https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=WuZ54O5XiPw
                      Goodbye Europe! Hello California! Home sweet home.

Comment

I have the template by E Burns and rarely use it, thanks for reminding me since I have a quilt coming up on my list that is virtually all HST so this might be the best way to do them.

Comment

My thoughts are --a bit pricey unless you make large numbers of hst for a project and, each size must be purchased separately

Comment

Too much like work! All that pinning...and pounces can be messy... And what if both fabrics are on the light dude?

OTOH, if this method appeals to you, give but a try...and let Ud know how you like it..

I've used Jenny's method, the Easy Angke ruler, the traditional two squares together method... I like them all..but I always make my HST's oversized, and trim to suze... I really don't mind the trimming/squaring up, because I then know my HST's are as perfect as I can make them... It really does make a difference...

Sandy from Cincinnati

AKA Kermit

Comment

I, too, always make my HST's overside and trim to size.
                              Now I have the Bloc-Loc HST ruler, which I love (didn't think I would).
                              I use it all the time.

Sheep Farmer by day....sigpic....Quilter-in-Training by night
                              The Farmmyfarm

Comment

Working...
                              X