• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Jane917
    replied
    Re: Thinking a buying a "backup" machine

Originally posted by Sylvia H View Post
    I absolutely adore my Bernina 350 for piecing. I have had problems with piecing with my BabyLock - but not with this Bernina. It cost approximately $500. I am pretty sure you can find it discounted at times. I don't know the weight, however.

I would buy another Bernina in a minute if they made one that fit my weight and price requirements. If you got the 350 for $500 you got a steal. They sell for nearly $2000, although I have not checked to see if they are discounted. I have not seen a used one. I imagine they fly out the door. I am not surprised that you love your 350.

Leave a comment:

• Jane917
    replied

Originally posted by quiltingaway View Post
    No personal experience with the Jem Platinum but I see them alot at retreats. I'm not familiar with the one you purchased, I'll have to check it out. I love Janomes!
    This is my first introduction to Janome. Apparently they make a new edition of this machine yearly. There is a 2011, 2012, 2013, etc. However, this is the National Quilt Museum anniversary model. I did not get to test drive the Jem Platinum. The store had the Jem Gold in stock, but the 2016 felt better to me (and was, of course, several hundred dollars more!). Oh well. I really like the scissors feature. The straight stitch does not compare with my Bernina, but I can work with it. I think it will be a nice machine to travel with. If my Bernina ever gives up (it is nearly 25 years old), this Janome has all the features I need.

Leave a comment:

• quiltingaway
    replied

Originally posted by Jane917 View Post
    Good idea! Any experience with the Janome Gem Platinum? It gets good reviews as the best computerized light weight machine in its class. Less money than the 3160QCD. As soon as I can get to a dealer I will look at them all.
    No personal experience with the Jem Platinum but I see them alot at retreats. I'm not familiar with the one you purchased, I'll have to check it out. I love Janomes!

Leave a comment:

• Sylvia H
    replied

I absolutely adore my Bernina 350 for piecing. I have had problems with piecing with my BabyLock - but not with this Bernina. It cost approximately $500. I am pretty sure you can find it discounted at times. I don't know the weight, however.

Leave a comment:

• Jane917
    replied

Today I stepped out and came home with the Janome NQM2016. Pretty nifty.

Leave a comment:

• Jane917
    replied

Originally posted by quiltingaway View Post
    I was going to suggest this machine as well. I have one for my travel machine and love it. It weighs 12 pounds. While it might seem like overkill to what you need I have found it is nice to have a machine that has all, or most of the features that you are used to in your main machine.
    Good idea! Any experience with the Janome Gem Platinum? It gets good reviews as the best computerized light weight machine in its class. Less money than the 3160QCD. As soon as I can get to a dealer I will look at them all.

Leave a comment:

• quiltingaway
    replied

Originally posted by KaylaWalker View Post
    Take a peek at the Janome 3160QCD.
    I was going to suggest this machine as well. I have one for my travel machine and love it. It weighs 12 pounds. While it might seem like overkill to what you need I have found it is nice to have a machine that has all, or most of the features that you are used to in your main machine.

Leave a comment:

• klgls
    replied

I have a Janome 1600 - weighs a ton!!! Not one I would want to carry back and forth to class.

Leave a comment:

• Vonnie
    replied

Originally posted by bakermom View Post
    Since you have a Bernina maybe you could find a small, used one that would be compatable with the feet you already have? If you have confidence in your dealer ask them to keep an eye out for one for you.
    This is an excellent idea. Those feet can get expensive!

Leave a comment:

• Jane917
    replied

Originally posted by KaylaWalker View Post
    The 3160QCD is a very nice machine, but probably overkill for what I want. I am. Ow looking at the Janome Jem Gold 660.

Leave a comment:

• KaylaWalker
    replied

Leave a comment:

• bakermom
    replied

I have an older Janome Gem as well as a lightweight Brother(computerized) Neither weighs more than 10-12 lbs. Very happy with both, though I prefer the Brother.
    Since you have a Bernina maybe you could find a small, used one that would be compatable with the feet you already have? If you have confidence in your dealer ask them to keep an eye out for one for you.

Leave a comment:

• Simply Quilting
    replied

I don't know if you have any interested in Featherweights but some people use those as their travel and back-up machines. And the joy of sewing on them. The Featherweights have an amazing straight stitch and are all metal.

Babylock has a Amelia which weights only 11.2 pounds. http://www.babylock.com/a-line/amelia/

You might check with your local dealer where you take your Bernina and see what is available there. Sometimes you can find wonderful light sewing machines that have been traded in and have been throughly checked out. Many dealers do offer a limited warranty on these machines.

Leave a comment:

• Jane917
    started a topic Thinking a buying a "backup" machine

Thinking a buying a "backup" machine

I have a Bernina 1530 purchased new in the early 90s. I love everything about it, and hope it never dies. It has laid idle for a few years and is now at the dealer getting tuned-up. It will be gone for about 10 days. Ugh! That gives me plenty of time to research second machines. I would like a lighter machine that is easier to carry to classes and take in our RV. I would prefer a mechanical machine, since I already have the computerized Bernina that has more capability than I will ever use. I really just need a good straight stitch machine for piecing and sewing seams when my Bernina is not available. I have looked at the Singer S16 and the Janome 1600, which I understand are the same machine. Both are well priced and I think would meet my needs. However, they are both still a bit weighty. I do not know how much my Bernina weighs because it is at the dealer, but it just seems to get heavier every year, or I get weaker! Since I have not researched machines in many years, I am not sure where to start, except to ask for opinions. I saw a review of a 12 pound Singer, but now I can't find which model that was. Any suggestions?
Working...
X