aboriginal prints....

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

aboriginal prints....

For anyone looking for these fabrics, Fabric Depot probably had 40 bolts of them yesterday. There was a man staring at them when I walked up and I commented on how they are to find and he had no clue what they were, so I told him! He then said, well now I learned about them and what batiks are all in the same day! He walked over to a woman, they talked, they kissed, and he headed for the door. I went and told her the story about the conversation we had and she laughed and said she felt sorry for him so sent him to the girly bar out in the parking lot!! We both laughed about that.
    pat.

No rain....no rainbows!

sigpic

If you can't be nice.....BE QUIET!

Re: aboriginal prints....

Funny story!

I love Aboriginal prints. I bought a four yard piece when I was in San Francisco a couple of years ago; now I need to figure out how to use it! Not gonna buy any more until I get that one figured out though.
    Last edited by SherylM; July 16, 2016, 05:29 PM.
    Sheryl

Comment

What is an aboriginal print?

Comment

Google it! Mostly it refers to Australian fabrics. Plenty of web sites to browse to see very colorful & original fabric designs.

Comment

I think they would be great to use on purses!!
          pat.

No rain....no rainbows!

sigpic

If you can't be nice.....BE QUIET!

Comment

I believe I had a tote bag in mind when I bought it, but I might have gotten a little carried away. Four yards would make a mighty big tote bag!

It has a very large print/repeat, so I might use some of it as a center panel in a quilt. I don't want to cut it up too much because I'll lose the design. It's a pattern called "blue tongue black" and I've seen it on a few sites that sell the fabrics.
            Sheryl

Comment

Sheryl ~ I saw a lady at our LQS who brought in an Illusion quilt top & backing that she had made from a large assortment of African fabrics she brought back from her visit over there. It was a show & tell. She also didn't want to cut them up. Her pics were posted on the facebook page for Quality Sewing Inc. in Longmont. You'd have to scroll back through quite a few pics to find them.

It sounds like you have just one fabric. Were you interested in buying other fabrics to go with it? Have you posted a pic of the fabric here?

Comment

Originally posted by JCY View Post
                It sounds like you have just one fabric. Were you interested in buying other fabrics to go with it? Have you posted a pic of the fabric here?
                Thanks for letting me know about the illusion quilt - I'll take a look at it tomorrow. Today I saw a quilt kit on One World Fabric's website for a shadow box quilt that was made with these fabrics and it sure was beautiful. If I had more money and a lot less UFO's I would certainly buy it!

I actually did buy a couple of coordinating fabrics to go with it, but they're much more generic - a burnt orange blender and white with a small black design. I haven't posted pictures yet, but I'll try to do that after I get some things done around here tomorrow morning.
                Sheryl

Comment

Originally posted by JCY View Post
                  Sheryl ~ I saw a lady at our LQS who brought in an Illusion quilt top & backing that she had made from a large assortment of African fabrics she brought back from her visit over there. It was a show & tell. She also didn't want to cut them up. Her pics were posted on the facebook page for Quality Sewing Inc. in Longmont. You'd have to scroll back through quite a few pics to find them.
                  You're not kidding...my scrolling finger has a cramp! She did a beautiful job - the quilt is lovely and I like the way she set the prints on the diagonal. I also have a thing for Dutch wax prints - I love the vibrant colors and geometric designs. I've always liked M.C. Escher's work, so I think that's why these two types of fabric appeal to me so much.

This is the quilt kit that I mentioned : https://www.oneworldfabrics.com/shop...lt-kit-kit-sb/

OK...here are the pics of my fabric.

IMG_20160718_125934.jpgIMG_20160718_125952.jpgIMG_20160718_130101.jpgIMG_20160718_130108.jpgIMG_20160718_130113.jpg

I was surprised to discover that I have 4 1/4 yards of the fabric, instead of "just" four! I think that 1/4 yard was a gift from the lady that cut it. Anyway, there's a lot of it there. Three yards of the white and black, and two yards of the orange. I could do a quilt AND a tote bag (or two.)

I've got plenty of time to figure it out though - I've got too many other projects going to do anything with it right now!
                  Last edited by SherylM; July 18, 2016, 01:14 PM.
                  Sheryl

Comment

Working...
                  X