Sewing Machines

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Sewing Machines

I am thinking of getting a new machine to use along with my Brother SC9500. I am a fairly new quilter, and this is my first machine. It works real well on piecing, but not so good at quilting due to the small opening. I really like it, but I would like to get something that I can quilt something bigger than a lap quilt on. I have a limited budget and have been looking at online reviews. Can anyone tell me of your experiences with your particular machines and maybe I can make a decision on where to go fm here.

Re: Sewing Machines

The biggest harp space for the price is going to be either the Brother 1500s or the Singer S16. They are both straight-stitch only machines with harps about 8.5" wide by 6" high, which is a huge upgrade from most regular domestic sewing machines for quilting. The S16 is currently available online for a hair less than $400, which is a fantastic price. The Brother 1500s and the Singer S16 are very similar to the Juki 2010q. That's the machine I've got and so far I love it for piecing and FMQ. It does require more cleaning and oiling than my Brother cs6000i, but you get used it after it becomes part of your routine for sewing.

Comment

Bernina Virtuosa 150 QE is a great machine.
      I quilt crib/lap quilts easily.
      I purchased mine used a few years ago,
      Haven't had any problems with this machine.
      It has 5 needle positions, knee lift, needle down
      are just a few of the necessary extras.

Comment

Hi pamyjoearl, and welcome to the forum. I'm sure some of the folks here who have the Singer S16 will be along here soon to share their experience with this machine, but my impression is that it is very positive. You can get it on the singer site or on Amazon where it is currently $392. How's that for a great price?! I have had the Juki TL 2010 like unicorn for a year now. No problems whatsoever and I love that it is a solid, heavy, mostly metal machine, as are the Brother and Singer. The larger harp space makes a huge difference in what you can easily do at home. There are always quilt as you go techniques for handling bigger quilts easily, but it's nice to be able to make a larger pieced top, too. Good luck! And let us know what you decide and how it works out.

Comment

The Singer S16 is a Janome clone, that sells for a lot more than the same Singer. I do not have one, yet. But all those on here that do, love it....says it will sew through almost anything like butter. I am a Brother gal all the way...but this machine has me very interested.
          Blankets wrap you in warmth, quilts wrap you in love

Marilyn......
          sigpic

Comment

Yes, I have the Singer S16. Even if the Amazon price goes away, you can get it directly from Singer for $410, free shipping. It is a very sturdy machine. Makes a great straight stitch, and has a good light. I have a little difficulty manipulating the bobbin, as it is accessible from the left side of the machine, and can only be detached and reset by the left hand (unless I stand on my head). And you can't see how empty the bobbin is without taking it out. I have dexterity problems, so I would probably have issues with any other machine, as well. Just takes some getting used to. But I do love the machine. Glad I got it.

Comment

The singer s16 is very good especially for beginners, i know l'm one. Amazon had on sale for 399.00 and even though it is a single stitch, it has what you want in space and power. I currently have the S 18 which has a variety of stitches, but you other machines should be good with those. I love mine and have quilted a queen size on it.
              Gary,

"No regrets, only learning opportunities."

Comment

After reading & researching lots of websites & getting input from others, I finally made decision & purchased a Pfaff Ambition 2.0
                I wanted to purchase locally for warranty & servicing reasons. One local quilt shop only carried the Bernina brand which is way out of my price range. The other quilt shop carries Brother, Baby Lock & Pfaff. After trying all they had in my price range, the Ambition 2.0 was the one I liked the best. They had made a special purchase of them so they were able to pass that lower price on to me. I have only sewed on it a little, but so far I really do like it. Thank you all for the the suggestions that you gave.

Comment

Working...
                X