Best Sewing Iron

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Best Sewing Iron

I have a Rowena iron that is about 25 years old. It does not have auto shut-off, which is handy for running back and forth when pressing seams. It is a good iron, heavy workhorse, long long cord that is always in the way. I have been looking at the Panasonic 360. Cordless, steams, auto shut off. With the auto shut off, is the iron always cold when you run back to it to press seams? Does it get hot enough for crisp cottons? I would appreciate any comments. Any other suggestions for irons?

Re: Best Sewing Iron

I got a Oliso iron for Mother's day. My hubby and I watch the Amazon sales and got it for $150! Best iron ever! I love it!
    Carrie

I cut it twice and it was still too short!

Comment

I just received my Panasonic 360 Cordless on Tuesday. I love this iron. To answer your specific questions, yes it gets hot enough for crisp cotton. My seams are nice and flat. I see no distortion when pressing. It gets the wrinkles out. After it auto shuts off it heats back up very quickly ( I would say it is in less than 30 seconds) and it stays hot without me having to constantly return it to its charging base.

I love this cordless iron.
      Stash Treasure Acquisitions Beyond Life Expectancy. My stash keeps me STABLE, oh yeah.... and dark chocolate.

Comment

Originally posted by ucarrieme View Post
        I got a Oliso iron for Mother's day. My hubby and I watch the Amazon sales and got it for $150! Best iron ever! I love it!
        I love the Oliso, but do they make a cordless?

Comment

Originally posted by DeniseSm View Post
          I just received my Panasonic 360 Cordless on Tuesday. I love this iron. To answer your specific questions, yes it gets hot enough for crisp cotton. My seams are nice and flat. I see no distortion when pressing. It gets the wrinkles out. After it auto shuts off it heats back up very quickly ( I would say it is in less than 30 seconds) and it stays hot without me having to constantly return it to its charging base.

Thank you very much! Now to find the best deal!

Comment

No cord! No cord! No cord! No cord! No cord! No cord! No cord! No co... Well, I'm a bit overly enthusiastic about my Panasonic

The only thing this iron isn't good for is continual use, i.e. pressing a load of dress shirts. For start and stop quilting use or one or two clothing items, it's fantastic to be free of the cord. It heats up super fast. Honestly, if you turn it on, it's hot by the time you have your shirt laid out or have your quilt blocks laid out. It stays hot. If you need to turn it back on it is ready to go even faster. For quilting use, you put it in the cradle instead of standing it up, and it's all charged again in seconds and gives you at least two minutes of proper heat.

After having the cordless, if I ever have need for something more I'll go with an iron with a steam tank (do they have a name?). I just don't ever want a regular iron again. I've kept my 80s B&D iron for using with fusibles, and every time I pull it out I feel like I'm in the dark ages. I'd rather throw a hunk of metal on hot coals and iron with it because it would be cordless!

Comment

Panasonic cordless hands down no questions asked!
              sigpic:icon_hug: Iris Girl = April = fabric, Fabric FABRIC!!
              Time spent with cats is never wasted.
              Sigmund Freud

Comment

Originally posted by stitchwishes View Post

After having the cordless, if I ever have need for something more I'll go with an iron with a steam tank (do they have a name?). I just don't ever want a regular iron again. I've kept my 80s B&D iron for using with fusibles, and every time I pull it out I feel like I'm in the dark ages. I'd rather throw a hunk of metal on hot coals and iron with it because it would be cordless!
                Doesn't the Panasonic 360 have a steam tank? Is it not a steam iron?

Comment

Originally posted by Jane917 View Post
                  Yes the Panasonic 360 does have a removable water tank so it can steam and or spray water.
                  Stash Treasure Acquisitions Beyond Life Expectancy. My stash keeps me STABLE, oh yeah.... and dark chocolate.

Comment

Originally posted by Jane917 View Post
                    Yes but it's just like any other iron. I went and found it, what I mentioned is called a steam generator iron. That type has a separate giant water tank. Granted, it's not cordless, there is a hose so the steam can get from the stationary tank to the iron. But for those who have a lot of stuff to iron and want to power through it, I think it's the way to go.

image.jpeg

Comment

I love my cordless Panasonic! I have had it for a couple of years now and no problems. Just get in the habit of putting it on the charge base rather then standing it up.
                      Vonnie

Comment

Originally posted by DeniseSm View Post
                        [LIKE]
                        I agree!!!! Love this iron!!!!!

Sheep Farmer by day....sigpic....Quilter-in-Training by night
                        The Farmmyfarm

Comment

Working...
                        X