Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

Looking at travel Irons - Opinions please!

Collapse
X
 
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All
new posts

    Looking at travel Irons - Opinions please!

    I checked out the Rowenta today at BBB. It is rather heavy. Does anyone have experience with the Sunbeam (less heavy and less expensive) or the Steamfast? ( lightest and if Joannes has it, it could be least expensive). I just want a great iron for both quilting and a cruise. TIA!

    #2
    Re: Looking at travel Irons - Opinions please!

    No experience with Sunbeam or Steamfast, but I bought a Smarteck (I think, might be Smartex) at Joanns a few months ago. It is lightweight and gets very hot. It just doesn't have an automatic shutoff feature. Bought it with 50% off for $8.

    Comment


      #3
      Re: Looking at travel Irons - Opinions please!

      I have the little Steamfast and have used it a lot for 3 + years now. I bought mine at Amazon, but M* sells them now.
      K is for Karen 😊​..................
      Cremation - My last hope for a smokin' hot body.


      Before you speak,
      T - is it TRUE?
      H - is it HELPFUL?
      I - is it INSPIRING?
      N - is it NECESSARY?
      K - is it KIND?

      Comment


        #4
        Re: Looking at travel Irons - Opinions please!

        Originally posted by KarenC View Post
        No experience with Sunbeam or Steamfast, but I bought a Smarteck (I think, might be Smartex) at Joanns a few months ago. It is lightweight and gets very hot. It just doesn't have an automatic shutoff feature. Bought it with 50% off for $8.
        I am so impressed!

        Comment


          #5
          Re: Looking at travel Irons - Opinions please!

          Originally posted by K. McEuen View Post
          I have the little Steamfast and have used it a lot for 3 + years now. I bought mine at Amazon, but M* sells them now.
          Do you like it, Karen?

          Comment


            #6
            Re: Looking at travel Irons - Opinions please!

            I also have the Steamfast. It's small enough to sit right by the ironing extension and it works as advertised.

            Comment


              #7
              Re: Looking at travel Irons - Opinions please!

              Originally posted by Lilly View Post
              I checked out the Rowenta today at BBB. It is rather heavy. Does anyone have experience with the Sunbeam (less heavy and less expensive) or the Steamfast? ( lightest and if Joannes has it, it could be least expensive). I just want a great iron for both quilting and a cruise. TIA!
              Just an FYI if it makes a difference in your decision on what iron to purchase or if you are doing a quilting cruise, but most of the major cruise lines don't allow you to bring your own iron on board.
              Last edited by Kim T; July 14, 2016, 06:15 PM.

              Comment


                #8
                Re: Looking at travel Irons - Opinions please!

                I have had the Steamfast for almost a year. Small, comes in a carry bag that it's cute little water cup also fits in. I use it right beside my machine, especially when paper piecing. the size is perfect. Gets very hot, does have a shut off. I have only used it as a dry iron though. I would buy it again.

                Comment


                  #9
                  Re: Looking at travel Irons - Opinions please!

                  Originally posted by Lilly View Post
                  Do you like it, Karen?
                  I do, a lot. The first year I had it Marilyn and I both used it at the retreat. That thing was plugged in and on for most of 4 days. I use it a lot at home by y machine too for pressing small things as I am sewing.
                  K is for Karen 😊​..................
                  Cremation - My last hope for a smokin' hot body.


                  Before you speak,
                  T - is it TRUE?
                  H - is it HELPFUL?
                  I - is it INSPIRING?
                  N - is it NECESSARY?
                  K - is it KIND?

                  Comment


                    #10
                    Re: Looking at travel Irons - Opinions please!

                    I also have the Steamfast and absolutely love it. I've been doing some applique work with Heat'n'Bond and keep it plugged in to tack those small pieces. GREAT little travel iron.
                    Sometimes, when there's a raging fire,
                    it's best not to try to put it out with gasoline.

                    "...pal carajo con la negatividad..."

                    Comment


                      #11
                      Re: Looking at travel Irons - Opinions please!

                      I did a quilting cruise. They do have irons in the class, enough for all to share. I found I was never waiting to use one. It is correct that the majority of cruise lines do not allow irons.
                      Karen
                      Life is short - Live everyday to the fullest

                      Comment


                        #12
                        Re: Looking at travel Irons - Opinions please!

                        I have the little Sunbeam travel iron. It can be used with steam also. It gets a lot hotter than my Rowenta. It is so cute and just the right size to use next to my machine. It is much easier to maneuver when pressing individual blocks. I bought mine from Amazon for about $9.

                        Comment


                          #13
                          Re: Looking at travel Irons - Opinions please!

                          Originally posted by Kim T View Post
                          Just an FYI if it makes a difference in your decision on what iron to purchase or if you are doing a quilting cruise, but most of the major cruise lines don't allow you to bring your own iron on board.
                          Well it's not a quilting cruise but my favorite shirts for summer are cotton or linen and this ship (Costa Romantica) doesn't have passenger services. But I also would love to have it for quilting. Thanks for your input. I will check with the TA. Ssure wouldn't want it to be taken!

                          Comment


                            #14
                            Re: Looking at travel Irons - Opinions please!

                            Originally posted by janbee View Post
                            I have the little Sunbeam travel iron. It can be used with steam also. It gets a lot hotter than my Rowenta. It is so cute and just the right size to use next to my machine. It is much easier to maneuver when pressing individual blocks. I bought mine from Amazon for about $9.
                            Thanks, Janbee - the price is great!

                            Comment


                              #15
                              Re: Looking at travel Irons - Opinions please!

                              Thanks to everyone who replied. Before I buy one I'll check with the cruise lines. We're going to Amsterdam on the way to a Norwegian Fjords cruise so having the alternate power is important.

                              Comment

                              Working...
                              X