Basting with water soluble thread

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Basting with water soluble thread

I've been working on a quilt for my Bestie for a while now (the Irish Chain in my avatar), and I'm going to use Barb Schamber's board basting method and then quilt it by hand with big stitch quilting.

I usually use washable Elmer's or safety pins to baste my quilts, but I want to learn how to thread baste so I decided to use YLI Wash Away thread to baste it. However, it doesn't seem very strong and I'm afraid it might break so I'm wondering if I need to use the thread doubled, or will a single thread hold up OK?
    Sheryl

Re: Basting with water soluble thread

I'd love to hear how the washable tread works for basting! I've been pondering that myself, as I do thread basting. The only time I spray baste is on a mini _if_ I'm going to do it right then since I only like the more eco friendly temp spray.

One thing I do differently with thread basting is I don't bother to knot it. For a larger quilt or if I think it's going to kick around awhile before it gets finished I will tack the thread an extra time at the start and leve a nice tail.

I've never had a spool of it. Is it moisure sensitive in that if it sat in the quilt for a lng time would it weaken just from moisture in the air? I live on the water, hence I've not really gotten too far into seriously thinking bout trying it.

Just wanted to add that thread basting is very fast and super easy. It's just a tailor's tacking method. For FMQ on my cheap little machine it is so nice not to have to remove pins or anything. I just snip a thread and pull. I can leave areas very tightly basted right up to the point I want to quilt. You could never leave pins that close. Even spray adhesive can loosen and shift.
    Last edited by stitchwishes; July 13, 2016, 02:54 PM.

Comment

What stitchdo you use for thread basting. I don't see one long enough.

Comment

Originally posted by stitchwishes View Post
        One thing I do differently with thread basting is I don't bother to knot it. For a larger quilt or if I think it's going to kick around awhile before it gets finished I will tack the thread an extra time at the start and leve a nice tail.

I've never had a spool of it. Is it moisure sensitive in that if it sat in the quilt for a lng time would it weaken just from moisture in the air? I live on the water, hence I've not really gotten too far into seriously thinking bout trying it.
        I'm glad you mentioned not knotting it, because after threading several needles, I decided that knotting it is a pain in the keester; I don't think I'm going to do it either. I also decided to use a double thread - maybe it's overkill, maybe it's not, but I didn't want to risk it breaking and have to do it over.

Yes, it is moisture sensitive. You have to keep it in a plastic ziploc bag. I don't live by the water and my house is air conditioned, so humidity won't be a problem. Just have to make sure I don't spill water while I'm working on it! (Or worse yet, coffee!)

I'm looking forward to just tossing it in the washer when I'm done and not having to pick out basting threads!

Jean, you use the tailor's tacking stitch that Stitchwishes mentioned.
        Last edited by SherylM; July 13, 2016, 03:19 PM.
        Sheryl

Comment

I've machine basted with that thread and it worked great. I didn't have any issues with breakage.

Comment

I watched the board basting video. It looks manageable with the size fabric she's using, but I wonder how one manages to use that method when trying to wrap something much wider. Seems like it would be difficult.
            Goodbye Europe! Hello California! Home sweet home.

Comment

The quilt I'm doing is 68" wide and I'm using 8' long boards. The table I'm using is 6' long, so some of it's hanging over the edges but it is manageable, but just. I think anything wider would be a problem for me.

Good to know that breakage wasn't a problem!
              Sheryl

Comment

I have machine basted with water soluble thread and it was terrific and I had no problems with breakage. I dropped the tension to 1, stitch length to 5.5, used an 80/12 needle and was careful not to sew at "lightning speed", The Bernina had no problems with it, it held my quilt sandwich beautifully and oh my goodness.......magically disappeared when I washed the finished quilt!! Very impressed and will definately use it from now on.....no more pinning for me, just a bit of 505, let that dry overnight and then a quick zip around with the soluble thread. Very quick.

I am very careful to keep it and the bobbin that is loaded with it in a sealed plastic zip lock bag well away from moisture andmy other threads!

Comment

This sounds so fascinating to me...I didn't know this thread even existed!!!! I'm glad I saw thus thread thanks for the 411 chicas....
                  Priscilla Lujan
                  Los Angeles, CA:icon_cool:

Comment

Working...
                  X