Fusible gridded interfacing

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Fusible gridded interfacing

Has anyone tried this gridded interfacing by Quilt-Fuse?

https://www.fabricdepot.com/quilting...2-fusible-grid

I want to make a postage-stamp quilt, but am trying to find as light a weight pre-printed grid interfacing that I can (rather than draw the lines myself), so if you have any recommendations, I would love to hear them.

Re: Fusible gridded interfacing

QuiltSmart has a lot of different gridded fusible interfacings. I have one for a lone star quilt but probably won't be using it since I figured out how to make them by strip piecing.

Comment

I am making a quiltsmart bag now using the 2 1/2 inch fusible interfacing. I love it! It goes SO MUCH quicker than sewing each square together. It is pretty thin. If you get it and it doesn't come with directions PM me and I can give you a couple tips they have built into their patterns.
      Debbie

Comment

Thank you Debbie & Jean for directing me to QuiltSmart. Ordering some of the 2" grid today.

I've watched several video tutorials and read a few other blogs how to use this, but Debbie I will take you up on your offer if I run into any stumbling blocks

Comment

I looked at it at Sew Expo this year.....it was pretty cool.
          pat.

No rain....no rainbows!

sigpic

If you can't be nice.....BE QUIET!

Comment

Here's a demo for anyone unfamiliar with this technique. I guess if you wanted larger squares you could always draw the grid on regular interfacing. Sounds like they only make it in a few sizes.
            Goodbye Europe! Hello California! Home sweet home.

Comment

I've used Pellon, but remember to get the yellow grid printing for fusible...
              http://www.joann.com/pellon-820-fusi.../15150485.html
              Barbara
              http://www.etsy.com/shop/CraftySweetPeas

Comment

I got so excited about this new project after ordering the gridded interfacing, that last night I started cutting up my little scraps into 2" squares. As the pile grew, I wondered "How in the world am I going to keep these flat, and organized?".

This morning I remembered that my son has been storing some of his stuff in my garage for years, and one of those boxes contained his baseball collection, so I checked out the box, and sure enough....several unopened packages of those baseball card storage sleeves (for binders). So I snagged them and put them to good use.

postage stamp quilt.jpg

I've got a way to go to have enough pieces for this quilt, but at least my scrap box is getting cleaned out.

Comment

Originally posted by Caroline T. View Post
                  I got so excited about this new project after ordering the gridded interfacing, that last night I started cutting up my little scraps into 2" squares. As the pile grew, I wondered "How in the world am I going to keep these flat, and organized?".

This morning I remembered that my son has been storing some of his stuff in my garage for years, and one of those boxes contained his baseball collection, so I checked out the box, and sure enough....several unopened packages of those baseball card storage sleeves (for binders). So I snagged them and put them to good use.

[ATTACH=CONFIG]133032[/ATTACH]

I've got a way to go to have enough pieces for this quilt, but at least my scrap box is getting cleaned out.
                  That was really smart! I was thinking hmmm what can I use those for?
                  🌺 Lorie

Comment

Looks like you can get a box of 100 for under $20. Amazon has a 25-pack for around $6.
                    Last edited by rebeccas-sewing; July 14, 2016, 09:48 AM.
                    Goodbye Europe! Hello California! Home sweet home.

Comment

I have not used this method but did watch a tutorial awhile back. I believe it mentioned it would work well for a wall hanging but the bulk of the seems with the interfacing might not be ideal for a quilt. Hope it works for you.

Comment

I am curious to try it. Is any of this type of thing washable in that it disolves or does it just became a layer in the quilt?

Comment

My Quiltsmart fusible interfacing order arrived yesterday. I was very impressed with how lightweight it is, much lighter than the Pellon's gridded interfacing. Haven't started assembling as of yet, I still need about 300 blocks and ran out of scraps (didn't want to cut into my fat quarters).

But the upside is, I had decided this was the summer that I was going to de-clutter and this morning I started to tackle a "junk" closet. Low and behold I found a bin full of scraps, fat quarters, and even some yardage from quilts that I had made decades ago!

YIPPEE, feels like Christmas in July.

Comment

Yea. Let us know how you like the quilt smart when you get to use it.

Comment

Update: The Quilt Smart gridded interfacing is printed in panels, each panel will result in 11x17 squares. So last month I finished 4 of the panels. Very happy with results. As is normal for me, I got distracted with other projects, work, vacation etc, and the project was placed on hold for a while.

This week, I went back to this project and created 4 more panels. So last night I was laying out the finished 8 panels of 11x17 squares and discovered that my most recent 4, each square was a smidgen smaller than the 4 previous panels. WTH? After racking my brain, I checked my 1/4" pressure foot, and realized the little metal guide was ever so slightly bent out, just enough to make my seam allowances about 3/8" instead of 1/4". UGH

So now what to do? I decided instead of one twin sized quilt, I'm making two smaller quilts. When life gives you lemons, you make lemonade.

Lesson learned...ALWAYS check your seam allowances, and your equipment.

Now I would like to ask for your opinions, To make the quilts a bigger, I am adding an inside black border, then a scrappy border, followed by a final black border.

Should I make the inside border a bit thinner (currently it will finish at 2.5" wide - but I can still trim it down).
                              The scrappy border will finish at 1.5" wide .
                              How wide would you recommend the outer black border be?

Audition photo:
                              (last two borders not yet sewn in)
                              scrappy.jpg

I really need to buy a camera that takes decent photos.
                              Last edited by Caroline T.; September 13, 2016, 09:16 AM.

Comment

Working...
                              X